Bible Software

Got a new laptop and want to install some Bible software. I've used many different programs in the past but over the past decade+ I've predominantly used QuickVerse and Logos. I like Quickverse because it is spare and easy to use. I like Logos because (if you're willing to pay for it) it is not spare and will do just about anything and everything. Sadly, QuickVerse is no longer being supported by its manufacturer and it's been sold to Logos. I also use the online tools from sources like Bibledotcom, Bible Hub, Bible Gateway, etc., but am looking for something to install on the laptop I can use offline, and something simple, straightforward, easy to use. The one idiosyncrasy I want is the ability to format copy and paste the way I like it. Quickverse was good at that whether others I've use were lacking. I've checked the "best of" websites and, besides Logos, the programs most often recommended are Accordance, Olive Tree, and E-Sword (which I have used before). I have a little disdain for the having to purchase add-ons, even though I'm not plaining using many with my laptop (my desktop has Logos and many other tools for more complex study).

Anyone got any recommendations, especially preferences of the three just listed, and why?

Thx
I use "Blue Letter Bible" blueletterbible.org

Thank you all for weighing in. I'd like to remind any coming into the thread at this point the op is over five months old and I've addressed my inquiry with Accordance, e-sword, and Olive Tree (which was spamming my email endlessly) and like them all but use Accordance the most.

Thank you all for weighing in. I'd like to remind any coming into the thread at this point the op is over five months old and I've addressed my inquiry with Accordance, e-sword, and Olive Tree (which was spamming my email endlessly) and like them all but use Accordance the most.
does it have the lxx? Or the byzantine new testament?

According to the software expansion links and the website it does have add-ons for both. I tend to use Bible Hub's and Robert Mounce's links to the Greek manuscripts in conjunction with whatever resident software I'm using. Imo, Bible software is just one element of an amazing number of resources we have near-instantly available to us. With the time it takes to make a few mouse-clicks we have access to information only academics possessed a generation ago. There's no excuse for getting things incorrect. Personally, the chief benefit I want out of my Bible software is a good compound search feature. That was one of the reasons I most liked QuickVerse/WORDSearch. The fact is Logos is easily the single best platform, but it is over-complicated and over-loaded with resources for the average Bible student. I've gotten "lost" for days using its tools (to the occasional chagrin of my wife 😬). It's not a good thing for those of us prone to over-thinking or fixing upon a curiosity to the exclusion of the more salient knowledge, wisdom, and understanding. Logos, like Accordance, can also be very expensive.

Since there are several basic versions of Bible software available, I recommend downloading two or three, use them to see which "feels" best for you, and then use that one the most. Between my laptop and my desktop I've got a half-dozen programs (including Logos and Accordance) but I still use my legacy QuickVerse the most because that's with what I am most familiar and comfortable. The best program is the one you actually use ;).

If you ask me about this op in five years, I'll wager I'll have accumulated a pile of add-ons to my Accordance (and my Logos). It's the nature of the beast.

I use that and Bible.hub . Between those 2 free ones I’m all set.
I've never tried Bible.hub. Might have to look into it.

I'm not KJVO, But since I learned to read in it back in the late '40s it's still my main Squeeze.

I like the NWT in the New Testament, since it raises grammar questions, and forces a look at the original languages. Been a while since I bothered with it though.

I'm not KJVO, But since I learned to read in it back in the late '40s it's still my main Squeeze.

I like the NWT in the New Testament, since it raises grammar questions, and forces a look at the original languages. Been a while since I bothered with it though.
What does NWT stand for ?

What does NWT stand for ?
The "New World Translation" produced by the Jehova's Witness Denomination. It's not a translation I would trust, but when you read the Epistles, some of the Word choices, and Verb forms tend to be closer to the Greek (according to my Nestle Text interlinear), than what the KJV says. Just something I've noticed over the decades.

I've never bothered with the more modern translations, and since Biblically I think in VIctorian English, COncordances are easy to use / find stuff.

There are a number of people here who are "KJVP" – "KJV Preferred". No problem with that! I switch over to KJV for searching. Somehow I find I remember the Elizabethan English more easily.

--Rich

Saw a bunch of good apps and sources here, but I didn't se OpenBible. Openbible.info is a pretty good source for finding verses related to specific topics. I use it almost every day I guess. It isn't biased toward one flavor of Christianity either. You can find pretty much any topic in there, including obscure, and fringe topics.

E-sword has the LXX, as an add on.

If you're looking for an android phone or tablet app, I use mysword for android.

It's free, and you can download several different versions/languages of the LXX as well as the byzantine new testament.

Been using Accordance since way back when it was Gramcord…well over twenty years.
Its the best.
Be careful. Version 14 has been very unstable, and was released before version 13 had all the bugs fixed. And to top it off, they made changes on their server at the same time that made it impossible to install and activate older versions.

Logos is extremely overpriced. But they have the best mobile app and at this point in time all their platforms are more stable.

My advice, buy old fashioned books. How many resources do you really need anyway?

Who in the Bible needed a computer to study the scriptures? None that I am aware of :)

Greetings JohnnyDZ,
Logos is extremely overpriced. But they have the best mobile app and at this point in time all their platforms are more stable.
I appreciate your interesting comments. I have been using Logos8 on my old Wimdows7 PC, but this has now failed - not sure of the reason. I can still access Logos8 on my Windows8 Laptop. I find Logos8 to be very useful for quick reference as I have many reference books and Bibles and extensive books and magazines relevant to my fellowship. I have also added many notes attached to the text of the Bible over many years.
My advice, buy old fashioned books. How many resources do you really need anyway?
I have many books usually purchased at second hand book sales or second hand bookshops. Many of the old books are also now available electronically as pdf.
Who in the Bible needed a computer to study the scriptures? None that I am aware of :)
True enough, but I like the accessibility.

Kind regards
Trevor

This thread is pretty old but I thought I’d put my two cents in. Years ago I used a bible study program called Swordsearcher. I would still be using it but it’s only written for Windows and I have a Mac now. It’s available as a download or you can buy a dvd or cd. It has several bible translations and commentaries. It’s set up so you can customize it to almost any layout.

And what I liked most about it was that the guy who wrote it will answer your emails. You can find it online. If it was available in a version for Apple, I’d have it now.

Although the purpose of the thread has been fulfilled this is a general comment for passersby.

Not everyone uses or has a desktop or laptop computer, but almost everyone has a phone. The Sword Project engine has front ends or user interfaces for Linux, Android, MS, and Apple. They are multilingual and the modules are in numerous languages.

So your friends, family, colleagues, or people you meet on the street who are more comfortable in another language than English is likely to find something more to their liking in the Sword Project sphere.

As an Android user I recommend AndBible. It is free and a helpful feature is Workspaces. It is a button/tool which makes it convenient to set up environments in which modules can be organized and ready for use according to language, or some other preference.

The Sword Project can be a great aid in evangelism.

Back