Board problems

4Him

Administrator
Staff member
Matt is aware of the problem with the error messages and posting problems and is working on it. I'm not sure what browsers are having problems, I know Chrome and firefox were, but I've been using the Brave browser and am not having any problems posting nor getting any error messages. I don't know if that will help anyone who is using Chrome or firefox or any other browser that isn't working right for CARM, but you can give the Brave browser a try until the problem is fixed.

Tetsugaku

Matt is aware of the problem with the error messages and posting problems and is working on it. I'm not sure what browsers are having problems, I know Chrome and firefox were, but I've been using the Brave browser and am not having any problems posting nor getting any error messages. I don't know if that will help anyone who is using Chrome or firefox or any other browser that isn't working right for CARM, but you can give the Brave browser a try until the problem is fixed.
Thanks for the update. FYI, I'm getting the Oops message now even when I'm not logged in.

LifeIn

The error message says to check the browser console. The Chrome browser console says:

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 ()

Firefox browser console says:

NotFoundError: No such JSWindowActor 'DevToolsFrame'

Edge browser console says same as Chrome:

Last edited:

4Him

Administrator
Staff member
The error message says to check the browser console. The Chrome browser console says:

Firefox browser console says:

NotFoundError: No such JSWindowActor 'DevToolsFrame'

Edge browser console says same as Chrome:

Try Brave browser until the problem is fixed. I'm having zero issues with it.

LifeIn

Additional info that may help with debugging: Some posts go through fine and others have the "failed to load resource" error. For instance I was able to post this immediately after failing to post a reply I have prepared in Theology/Apologetics. Whenever this happens, if I leave the website and come back to it again, my compose window (which usually reflects the last entries I had made in it) contains most but not all of what I had entered. And then if I try to post the partial response without adding to it, the posting goes through OK. And then if I try to edit the post to add on the part that was dropped, the Edit Save again produces the same error. It is as if something in the content of that last part was objectionable to the server. Here is the exact text which I copied and saved before posting that did not post in the other forum:

"But that mere raises the question of where this "better" plant came from, especially if the desired characteristic does not exist anywhere in nature, such as plumper corn or chickens. It was random variation, not engineered variation."

I see that I posted just fine here, but would not post in the forum it was written for.

I just verified by posting one word at a time I can post "But that mere raises the question of where this better plant came" OK, but if I try to edit to add one more word, "from", it fails with the OOPS! error again. So the problem is definitely sensitive to the content of what is being posted.

Oddly enough, I was able to edit the post to end with "......the better plant casdfkas dfsjdflsjdfljsklf". But I could not make it say "...the better plant came from". So the problem is not a limit on the number of words or characters.

One final experiment. Since it was a reply, it contained a quote from the person I was replying to. When I posted without that quote, my entire response went through just fine. So apparently the content of the quote also had something to do with it. This is going to be a really tricky bug to track down since it seems to depend on so many seemingly random things. There is nothing worse than a bug that is not repeatable (speaking from years of software development experience.)

Last edited:

puddleglum

Not everyone who uses Chrome has trouble. One day I couldn't log on but the next day I had no trouble and everything has been working fine since then. I use Chrome exclusively and except for that one time I have had no trouble with it.

Nic

I use Brave as well but it freezes on me from time to time. If I open a new tab to the forum, then it's working again.

cjab

I'm using firefox. This forum seems to accept short posts without too much issue, but long / medium sized posts invariably require logging out and logging back in to circumvent the oops error. Invariably this does allow the post to be posted, but you have to copy and paste, and it's something that shouldn't be necessary. Staying logged in beyond a few minues also seems to cause the Oops error when posting.

shroom

I'm using firefox. This forum seems to accept short posts without too much issue, but long / medium sized posts invariably require logging out and logging back in to circumvent the oops error. Invariably this does allow the post to be posted, but you have to copy and paste, and it's something that shouldn't be necessary. Staying logged in beyond a few minues also seems to cause the Oops error when posting.
I'm using firefox and have not had a problem. Once in a while when I go to post it "thinks" for several seconds, but the post gets posted.

The Pixie

My impression is that it is related to how long you are logged in on a browser. I can log in, make several short posts without a problem. If I log in, leave it a while, then try to post it fails. But I can start a private/incognito session, log in there, and copy-and-paste my comment over to that and then post successfully - in that browser session I have not been logged in long enough for it to fail.

Also happens when I switch try to "Toggle BB Code" with the same regularity - i.e., if I have been logged in a while.

The Pixie

Also happens if you try to mark a forum as read. Not something I do often, but again seems to be when you have been logged in a while.