Bowing before the Idol of Divine Determinism

Dizerner

The doctrine’s sole purpose is to bring a false security and comfort for those aspects of God that unsettle us.

All this pious talk about how it’s just putting God first is bogus—because it’s demanding God act a certain way.

I’ve heard many Calvinists say a God who allows actual free will is a monster they would never worship.

This is setting requirements on God for whether we will worship and serve him or not!

All such demands are idolatry, if you wouldn't even worship a God who creates actual free will.

Dizerner

Not me I would be nothing more than a puppet having my strings pulled , no choice or free will .

Then you set conditions on who you allow God to be, and set yourself up as the ultimate standard of good and evil that God has to adhere to.

I advise you that this is arrogance and idolatry, and you should be willing to accept whatever God says he is.

Dizerner

For the record—I find my own theology more of a potential for offense than Calvinism.

And yet I still embrace it to put God above all where he really deserves to be.

Johnnybgood

Then you set conditions on who you allow God to be, and set yourself up as the ultimate standard of good and evil that God has to adhere to.

I advise you that this is arrogance and idolatry, and you should be willing to accept whatever God says he is.
No I don’t . The Arminian view of predestination is the one I can agree with not the Calvinist definition of determinism and predestination.

Simpletruther

The doctrine’s sole purpose is to bring a false security and comfort for those aspects of God that unsettle us.

All this pious talk about how it’s just putting God first is bogus—because it’s demanding God act a certain way.

I’ve heard many Calvinists say a God who allows actual free will is a monster they would never worship.

This is setting requirements on God for whether we will worship and serve him or not!

All such demands are idolatry, if you wouldn't even worship a God who creates actual free will.
People on both sides say that kind of stuff. I agree it's ill advised.

But so is your armchair amateur psychological diagnosis.

Some people think it just fits scripture and logic better.

Reformedguy

"The doctrines sole purpose"? Proof?

Johnnybgood

A little leaven (determinism) leavens the whole lump
Jesus said is this way ;

Matt 16:6
Jesus said to them, “Watch and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees.”

Luke 12:1
In the meantime, a crowd of many thousands had gathered, so that they were trampling one another. Jesus began to speak first to His disciples: "Beware of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy.

Barnes has some insightful comments :

The leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees - Leaven is used in making bread.

It passes secretly, silently, but certainly through the mass of dough. See the notes at Matthew 13:33. "None can see its progress." So it was with the doctrines of the Pharisees. They were insinuating, artful, plausible. They concealed the real tendency of their doctrines; they instilled them secretly into the mind, until they pervaded all the faculties like leaven.

ReverendRV

Would you say the Sole Purpose of God turning a King's head like the rivers of water is to bring us a False Security?

I wouldn't. For the purpose of this Thread, is there only one Purpose for the Doctrine of Determinism?