Breaking The Bread

Dant01

Just a heads-up to the squeamish: this evangelistic message depicts a somewhat
gruesome scene.

First off; we must insist that churches are very wrong in serving their congregations
processed bread in the form of crackers, biscuits, dumplings, sticks, and/or wafers
etc. when it's supposed to be helpings of bread from one single loaf recently torn
apart. All other forms of bread-- including so-called hosts --miss the point.

1Cor 11:23-24 . . I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the
Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, and when he had given
thanks, he broke it, and said: This is my body which is for you. Do this in
remembrance of me.

The broken loaf of bread reminds the congregation-- and any visitors present --that
Christ's body was very nearly destroyed during his crucifixion.

Isa 52:14 . . Many were appalled at him-- his appearance was so disfigured
beyond that of any man, and his form marred beyond human likeness.

When the three hours of darkness lifted that day, the man who emerged was so
badly disfigured that even his own mother wouldn't have recognized him had she
not been there and seen the whole thing for herself.

What's even more shocking is that the Romans aren't to blame for doing that to
Christ; no, they had their fun and nailed him up there, but it was God who put on
the finishing touches, viz: his own Father is responsible for the extreme severity of
Jesus' injuries.

Luke 23:47 . .The centurion, seeing what had happened, praised God and said:
Surely this was a righteous man.

The centurion had likely presided over lots of crucifixions, but you can bet your
bottom dollar never over one like that before.

Luke 23:48-49 . . When all the people who had gathered to witness this sight saw
what took place, they beat their breasts and went away.

No surprise. It's a wonder anybody could catch their breath after an event like that.

Anyway: if God would do something so awful to His own son, just think what He
might have in store for people who sneer at the cross, and mock it.
_

UncleAbee

First off; we must insist that churches are very wrong in serving their congregations
processed bread in the form of crackers, biscuits, dumplings, sticks, and/or wafers
etc. when it's supposed to be helpings of bread from one single loaf recently torn
apart. All other forms of bread-- including so-called hosts --miss the point.

1Cor 11:23-24 . . I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the
Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, and when he had given
thanks, he broke it, and said: This is my body which is for you. Do this in
remembrance of me.

It depends on how literal you interpret the passage for church usage. Maybe they did it that way just because that was their tradition then and how they normally ate meals. Maybe loaves was the common way bread was prepared then. I think the symbolism is the most important thing and not so much the literalness of the passage. If we were to follow it that literally we could only take communion at night.