Calvin believed complete divine determinism

A determined choice is no choice

there was no other possibility only necessity
some think it was lol, I mean if its impossible to say no and you were predetermined to say yes its nothing but an illusion.

When was the Lamb slain?

Hello Alive... If I remember, you are somewhat new here. Since you don't reveal who you are responding to, I thought I'd answer this question, since I'm familiar with the relevant passages.

The "Lamb" (Jesus) was slain approximately 2000 years ago.

Rev. 13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world. (KJV)

Rev. 13:8 and all who dwell on earth will worship it, everyone whose name has not been written before the foundation of the world in the book of life of the Lamb who was slain. (ESV)

The underlying Greek is ambiguous, and as these two translations show, it is not explicitly clear whether "before the foundation of the world" modifies "lamb slain" (KJV) or "written in the book of life" (ESV, NET, NASB, HCSB, etc.)

Three factors which can inform our opinion are as follows:

1) Historically, Jesus was slain 2000 years go, not "before the foundation of the world".

2) There are no other passages which teach Christ being slain from the foundation of the world.

3) We have a parallel passage in Rev. 17:8, which shows "from the foundation of the world" modifying the book of life.

Rev. 17:8 The beast that you saw was, and is not, and is about to rise from the bottomless pit and go to destruction. And the dwellers on earth whose names have not been written in the book of life from the foundation of the world will marvel to see the beast, because it was and is not and is to come.

Hope that helps!

Back