Calvinism and salvation by works

T

TomFL

I said nothing about "work," that is your addition.

No idea where all that came from either. The Bible teaches that faith is a requirement for salvation, period. No faith, no salvation. It also teaches that if you fulfil the requirements, your salvation is
guaranteed:

Acts 10:

34 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:
35 But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

"No respecter of persons" means that God does not discriminate, he does not have favourites. He treats everyone alike. He applies the same standard of salvation to everyone alike. That means that if you fulfil the conditions for salvation (faith and repentance), your salvation is guaranteed. Now how you want to define that in the English vernacular, that is up to you. But that is the unquestionable and undeniable doctrine of the Bible.

It also makes faith requirement. It also guarantees salvation for those who fulfil that requirement. That is what the Bible says.
By making it merit or earn salvation you make it a work

when it is by grace

Nothing you post actually deals with your making faith a system of merit

brightfame52

zer

No idea where all that came from either. The Bible teaches that faith is a requirement for salvation, period. No faith, no salvation. It also teaches that if you fulfil the requirements, your salvation is guaranteed:

Thats bqckwards, no salvation, no faith For faith is the fruit of the Spirit Gal 5 22 so how can a spiritually dead sinner exercise a Spiritual Fruit ?

zerinus

By making it merit or earn salvation you make it a work
I am making it what the Bible makes it: (1) a requirement for salvation, (2) a guarantee of salvation. The rest is your spin.
when it is by grace
"Grace" or not, prove to me that the above statement of the doctrine is not biblically correct.
Nothing you post actually deals with your making faith a system of merit
The Bible makes faith meritorious. Examples are legion. Prove that biblically wrong, or quit denying it.

T

TomFL

zer

Thats bqckwards, no salvation, no faith For faith is the fruit of the Spirit Gal 5 22 so how can a spiritually dead sinner exercise a Spiritual Fruit ?
Are you still misinterpreting this verse

The passage is addressing those who are already Christians and not discussing how an unbeliever gets faith

Unbelievers do not have the fruit of the Spirit

The Galatians however had been indwelt by the Spirit

Gal. 3:2 —ESV
“Let me ask you only this: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith?”

and is by faith one receives the spirit

T

TomFL

I am making it what the Bible makes it: (1) a requirement for salvation, (2) a guarantee of salvation. The rest is your spin.

"Grace" or not, prove to me that the above statement of the doctrine is not biblically correct.

The Bible makes faith meritorious. Examples are legion. Prove that biblically wrong, or quit denying it.
There is a difference between being a requirement and making something meritorious

I have acknowledge faith is required so you are wasting your time posting verses to that end

Paul clearly aligns faith with grace not a works based system gaining merit

Rom. 4:4–5 —ESV
“Now to the one who works, his wages are not counted as a gift but as his due.
And to the one who does not work but believes in him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness,”

brightfame52

Are you still misinterpreting this verse

The passage is addressing those who are already Christians and not discussing how an unbeliever gets faith

“Let me ask you only this: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith?”

and is by faith one receives the spirit
Im still testifying to the truth, faith is a fruit of the Spirit. No indwelling Spirit, No Faith. You may have a human faith, but that doesn't count towards Spiritual things

T

TomFL

Im still testifying to the truth, faith is a fruit of the Spirit. No indwelling Spirit, No Faith. You may have a human faith, but that doesn't count towards Spiritual things
Sorry no

The fruit of the spirit is for believers who are indwelt by the spirit

not unbelievers

Last edited by a moderator:

zerinus

There is a difference between being a requirement and making something meritorious
The Bible portrays faith as being both meritorious as well as being required for salvation. The following verses portray it as being meritorious:

Matthew 6:

30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?

Matthew 8:

26 And he saith unto them, Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith? Then he arose, and rebuked the winds and the sea; and there was a great calm.

Matthew 14:

31 And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?

Matthew 16:

8 Which when Jesus perceived, he said unto them, O ye of little faith, why reason ye among yourselves, because ye have brought no bread?

These verses portrays it as required for salvation:

John 3:

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:

18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

John 3:

36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

John 6:

40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

I have acknowledge faith is required so you are wasting your time posting verses to that end
You don't. You talk out of both sides of your mouth. When I remind you that faith is a requirement for salvation, you accuse me of teaching salvation by "works!" When I look the other way, you say that you never denied that faith is required for salvation.
Paul clearly aligns faith with grace not a works based system gaining merit
You are now contradicting yourself. One minute you say that faith is required for salvation, next minute you say that salvation is by grace alone, with nothing else added to it. So which is it? Is salvation by grace alone, with nothing else added; or is faith an essential requirement?

brightfame52

zerin

The Bible portrays faith as being both meritorious as well as being required for salvation. The following verses portray it as being meritorious:

Lol, you bold with your salvation by works false teaching . So you can do something to merit eternal salvation, is that correct ?