Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else?

LeeH

I read this from one of the posts. Quote below.

My question is, do calvinists believe this and if that is correct, if people reject calvinism that surely must mean they reject the gospel too, after all if they can't be seperated, you must believe in both.

It seems to me that if a person who is born again, they would know this and how can they be saved, if they go to their death rejecting calvinism?

Unless you can reject the gospel and still be saved, is that possible? Does anyone believe you can reject the gospel and still be saved?

"Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else."

-- Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Theo1689

My question is, do calvinists believe this and if that is correct, if people reject calvinism that surely must mean they reject the gospel too, after all if they can't be seperated, you must believe in both.

If one fully understands the gospel, then it inevitably leads to Calvinism.
But the gospel itself is not Calvinism, and non-Calvinists can be (and are) saved.

LeeH

If one fully understands the gospel, then it inevitably leads to Calvinism.
But the gospel itself is not Calvinism, and non-Calvinists can be (and are) saved.
So the claim by Charles Haddon Spurgeon, you don't agree with, because that quote says it clearly is?

I am not calvinist, but saying "But the gospel itself is not Calvinism" isn't that rejecting what Spurgeon said, if he actually said it, I don't know, you probably know better than I do. Is that quote true?

If you say "if one fully understand the gospel", it leads to calvinism, but then you say calvinism isn't the gospel. I am trying to understand, but that has completely thrown me. If it's not the gospel, like you say, why would you want to come to believe in it?

Theo1689

So the claim by Charles Haddon Spurgeon, you don't agree with, because that quote says it clearly is?

I don't agree with your interpretation of it.
You should probably read it in context.

I am not calvinist, but saying "But the gospel itself is not Calvinism" isn't that rejecting what Spurgeon said, if he actually said it, I don't know, you probably know better than I do. Is that quote true?

Read it in context.

If you say "if one fully understand the gospel", it leads to calvinism, but then you say calvinism isn't the gospel. I am trying to understand, but that has completely thrown me. If it's not the gospel, like you say, why would you want to come to believe in it?

Because there is more to theological truth than just the gospel.

brightfame52

It seems to me that if a person who is born again, they would know this and how can they be saved, if they go to their death rejecting calvinism?

Unless you can reject the gospel and still be saved, is that possible? Does anyone believe you can reject the gospel and still be saved?

What he means by that are the Doctrines of Grace derived from the acronym TULIP and I agree with him on that Do you know what TULIP means ?

YeshuaFan

ALL who are saved by the Grace of God are saved by Calvinist theology, though many dispute/deny that!

ReverendRV

There is only one Gospel, the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The reason Surgeon said it is because Calvinism is 'like' the Gospel. But it's safe to say that Surgeon knew there is only one Gospel...

Last edited:

Oldsaint24

Spurgeon was obviosly decevied to make such a statement.

brightfame52

What he means by that are the Doctrines of Grace derived from the acronym TULIP and I agree with him on that Do you know what TULIP means ?
TULIP teaches, the Grace Doctrines of mans total spiritual inability to do anything on a Spiritual ground/Basis to make themselves accepted to God, because naturally they are Spiritually dead to God, alienated from the Spiritual life of God, dead in trespasses and sins, hence necessitating the Sovereign Work of Grace, quickening by the Spirit to do anything Spiritually pleasing towards God, for instance, obeying the call to repentance/Faith Acts 20:21

21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

YeshuaFan

TULIP teaches, the Grace Doctrines of mans total spiritual inability to do anything on a Spiritual ground/Basis to make themselves accepted to God, because naturally they are Spiritually dead to God, alienated from the Spiritual life of God, dead in trespasses and sins, hence necessitating the Sovereign Work of Grace, quickening by the Spirit to do anything Spiritually pleasing towards God, for instance, obeying the call to repentance/Faith Acts 20:21

21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.
THAT is what Spurgeon no doubt meant by that the Gospel of calvinism was the real one!

Oldsaint24

Or if you knew scripture and the truth in reformed theology you would agree .
I always agree with the truth. Thus the reason I am not a Calvinist. And......and no Calvinist has ever refuted me with scripture.....show me the thread and post # if you think I have ever been refuted. I must have missed it......or it does not exist. Only snitty little personal comment which will probably follow by the Calvinists.

G

guest1

I always agree with the truth. Thus the reason I am not a Calvinist. And......and no Calvinist has ever refuted me with scripture.....show me the thread and post # if you think I have ever been refuted. I must have missed it......or it does not exist. Only snitty little personal comment which will probably follow by the Calvinists.
Was Cain a child of God ? Yes or no

YeshuaFan

Did the Apostles come to Jesus first, or did the Father draw all of them to Jesus?

Zipper

Even without the context he's obviously saying calvinism is nothing more than the gospel, not that only a full-bodied calvinist view of the gospel is saving. Even rightly interpreted I think he's being pithy and it doesn't necessarily follow, calvinism is a systematic view which relies on a long list of biblical doctrines to form and not merely the gospel.