Calvinism is the gospel

Sure keep telling yourself that long enough and you will be bound / determined to believe it lol

Well the prince and ole calvie thought tulip was the gospel but hey I agree they didn’t know diddly squat about the gospel ?

Spurgeon affirms the OP.

Spurgeon called "calvinism" the gospel meaning the 5 points.

“I have my own opinion that there is no such thing as preaching Christ and Him crucified unless we preach what is nowadays called Calvinism. It is a nickname to call it Calvinism. Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else. "

First of all, please point out where Spurgeon made any mention of "the 5 points". Because I simply don't see it in the quote you provided.

Secondly, I'm trying REALLY hard to be charitable and reasonable (I'm sounding like Jules from Pulp Fiction, I think), but you don't seem to want to recapitulate. And I don't expect you to. My current theory is that you want to sabotage this discussion forum so that no productive discussion can take place, because you know that if discussion goes forward, then Calvinism becomes vindicated. That's why you and others post 50-100 or more posts every day which are nothing but worthless one-liners, often containing emoji's, prompting our side to respond in kind, and nobody wants to bother wading through that.

I have to thank you, though... I used to really dislike Norm Geisler because of his stance against Calvinism, and that gave me a bias against reading his other materials, which I knew was an emotional response rather than an intellectual one. But in comparison to you, I'm beginning to appreciate Geisler more. at least he could provide substance for his views, rather than worthless rhetoric.

Now, let me one more time try to address the "Spurgeon taught Calvinism is the gospel" canard. I truly believe you are misunderstanding what he meant. You are like a dog with a bone with this quote, but over time you are going to find out it's not real, it's only plastic with no nutritional value whatsoever. But if you're not misunderstanding him, then I disagree with his comment. So it becomes worthless as a talking point here. It is nothing but ONE statement by ONE Calvinist with limited context, and so that hardly qualifies that as an authoritative "definition" of Calvinism, or the gospel.

The basic gospel is this:

1) God is holy;
2) Man is a sinner;
3) The wages of sin is death;
4) God sent His Son to die to atone for sin;
5) If you believe in Jesus, you will be saved.

Now, that presentation takes all of 12-15 seconds to present.

You could flesh out each of the points a little bit, or a lot, and turn it into:
- a 5 minute presentation;
- or 15 minutes;
- or 60 minutes;
- or a weekend seminar;
- or a 4-month credit course;
- or a 3-year theological degree;
- or a life-long subject of study.

It just depends on how much detail you want to put into it. I think we need to find a balance so that we are presenting a comprehensive enough message so that it is understood, but not overwhelm them with advanced theology that's going to go over their heads.

I think the only thing Spurgeon meant was that if we "flesh out" each point to its extreme completion, we will end up with Reofrmed theology.

But you go on and continue with your one-liners, and crying-laughing emoji's, I'm sure the lurkers are very impressed.

Back