Calvinists...time to reflect...from one to another.

Theo1689

The Gospel is "good news" and we do have a savior, but if that's all he believes it is, then that's a very shallow understanding and leaves out several crucial steps.

You mean there's a resaon God gave us the Ten Commandments before He gave us the cross?

You mean there's a reason Paul spends three chapters explaining to us our sin (Rom. 1-3) before teaching about grace and salvation (Rom. 4-5)?

Mike McK

You mean there's a resaon God gave us the Ten Commandments before He gave us the cross? You mean there's a reason Paul spends three chapters explaining to us our sin (Rom. 1-3) before teaching about grace and salvation (Rom. 4-5)?

Sethproton

Where does the Bible state the “ gospel “ is the good news we have a savior ?

chapter and verse please to back up you above claim err assumption?

You really should try and be more careful how you try and articulate Gods word and make sure your own ideas line up with scripture.
Are you serious? The angels announced to the shepherds saying Good News a Savior is born."
Therefore that is the first meaning of the good news.

eternomade

intersting that you think the gospel makes no sense outside of Calvinism.
The gospel is the Good News that we have a Savior.
You are saying that was not clear to you until you learned Calvinism?
Hello. What are the essentials of the gospel?

There are so many gospels out there but there is only 1 gospel that saves, by God granting faith to His sheep.

I believe the gospel is WHO Jesus is and WHAT Jesus did/doing. The gospel also includes our responsibilty, sin and faith. Fortunately, God has granted His sheep faith to believe.

Is God's sovereignty part of the gospel, namely WHO He is?

Theo1689

Are you serious? The angels announced to the shepherds saying Good News a Savior is born."
Therefore that is the first meaning of the good news.

So where does that say, "WE have a Saviour"?
Who is the "we"?
And please remember to answer from Scripture, not from your imagination.

Sethproton

Actually, the Bible says it's much more than that.

It encompasses Adam's fall, God's covenant with Israel to become a Messianic nation, God's provision of the law to Israel, man's inability to keep the law due to his total depravity, the adversarial relationship between God and man, God's provision of a savior in the person and work of Jesus Christ, repentance, the means of soteriology. the order of regeneration, etc.

Until I hear the Gospel preached from a Calvinist perspective, I just thought all that was involved was that I have to decide to accept Christ.

If I go up to somebody and say, "I'd like to share the Gospel with you. Good news! We have a savior!" I don't know about you, but it makes no sense to me to tell me I have a savior until you first explain to me what I have to be saved from.

It would be like your doctor never telling you you're sick, but then telling you, "We've found a cure!"
I agree it goes deeper than what the angels proclaimed, but if you do not start with what the angels proclaimed, you will not be on track with the truth. Jesus is the savior who is the messiah. That's where starts. That is specifically the Good News the angels proclaimed

Last edited:

Sethproton

Hello. What are the essentials of the gospel?

There are so many gospels out there but there is only 1 gospel that saves, by God granting faith to His sheep.

I believe the gospel is WHO Jesus is and WHAT Jesus did/doing. The gospel also includes our responsibilty, sin and faith. Fortunately, God has granted His sheep faith to believe.

Is God's sovereignty part of the gospel, namely WHO He is?
The essentials are what the angels proclaim. jesus is savior / messiah.
And yes there is more that we need to understand, but that is the basics from which we should start

Also, i have no idea what you mean about there being more than one good news. Can you explain?

eternomade

What is one of those false good news? I don't know what you are referring to.
- There is more than 1 God
- Jesus is not God
- Denying of being a sinner
- Anything that puts conditions on salvation(meritorious)
- Denying the ressurection
- Universal Atonement

There are many others, but hopefully this clarifies.

Sethproton

- There is more than 1 God
- Jesus is not God
- Denying of being a sinner
- Anything that puts conditions on salvation(meritorious)
- Denying the ressurection
- Universal Atonement

There are many others, but hopefully this clarifies.
how are any of those considered good news? What is good about those ideas?
I guess universal atonement is good news, but the others are not.

eternomade

how are any of those considered good news? What is good about those ideas?
This is all bad news. The good news is the person and work of Christ, who He is and What He did. The previous list is an example of false gospels, which Paul talks about in Galatians 1.

Sethproton

That was the post civic responded to, and challenged you to support from Scripture.
So we see you are unable to do so.
Over the years, I have shown you and Civic at least 10 verses that tell a story different from what you promote. So it would be inappropriate for you to claim i have never shown scripture