Calvinists...time to reflect...from one to another.

Sethproton

That's simply not true.

You're saying that it is inappropriate for us to tell the truth.
no I said it is inappropriate for you to claim I never showed you scripture.
You can say you disagree with my understanding and still be truthful, but not when you claim i never show scripture

civic

Qyi
Are you serious? The angels announced to the shepherds saying Good News a Savior is born."
Therefore that is the first meaning of the good news.
Quote the verse since the “ gospel “ was never mentioned but it was the word εὐαγγελίζομαι (euangelizomai) — 1 Occurrence in all of the NT.

Another epic failure from sethology.

ReverendRV

Qyi

Quote the verse
Luke 2: 10-14; But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.” Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, “Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.”

civic

Luke 2: 10-14; But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.” Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, “Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.”
See my remarks to seth:)

Theo1689

Luke 2: 10-14; But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people.

Luke 2:10 καὶ εἶπεν αὐτοῖς ὁ ἄγγελος· μὴ φοβεῖσθε, ἰδοὺ γὰρ εὐαγγελίζομαι ὑμῖν χαρὰν μεγάλην ἥτις ἔσται παντὶ τῷ λαῷ,

Actually, this is a great example.

Here is how Seth apparently parses the verse:

_____I_____|__bring___|___news___\__(to) you__
...................|..........................\
................................................\ good...............(Happy now, seth? ;) )
..................................................\

But in actual fact, the correct diagramming is as follows:

.......(εγώ).............εὐαγγελίζομαι..............ὑμῖν
______I_____|__bring-good-news___\__to you__
.....................|

And if he was the expert at Greek and sentence diagramming that he claimed to be, he'd know that. And that is PRECISELY why sentence diagramming can be so useful.

Theo1689

Luke 2: 10-14; But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people.

Interesting.
It looks like you're quoting from the NIV.
Between "do not be afraid" and "I bring you good news", there should be a "for behold" ("ιδου γαρ"). I don't like the decision of dropping it.

ReverendRV

Interesting.
It looks like you're quoting from the NIV.
Between "do not be afraid" and "I bring you good news", there should be a "for behold" ("ιδου γαρ"). I don't like the decision of dropping it.
Thanks. It was at the top of the Translations...

Sethproton

Luke 2:10 καὶ εἶπεν αὐτοῖς ὁ ἄγγελος· μὴ φοβεῖσθε, ἰδοὺ γὰρ εὐαγγελίζομαι ὑμῖν χαρὰν μεγάλην ἥτις ἔσται παντὶ τῷ λαῷ,

Actually, this is a great example.

Here is how Seth apparently parses the verse:

_____I_____|__bring___|___news___\__(to) you__
...................|..........................\
................................................\ good...............(Happy now, seth? ;) )
..................................................\

But in actual fact, the correct diagramming is as follows:

.......(εγώ).............εὐαγγελίζομαι..............ὑμῖν
______I_____|__bring-good-news___\__to you__
.....................|

And if he was the expert at Greek and sentence diagramming that he claimed to be, he'd know that. And that is PRECISELY why sentence diagramming can be so useful.
Both of those violate standard diagramming. Neither is what I would do.

Last edited: