Can a High Priest serve with blemishes?

Jewjitzu

Leviticus 21
16Then the LORD said to Moses, 17“Say to Aaron, ‘For the generations to come, none of your descendants who has a physical defect may approach to offer the food of his God.
18No man who has any defect may approach—no man who is blind, lame, disfigured, or deformed; 19no man who has a broken foot or hand, 20or who is a hunchback or dwarf, or who has an eye defect, a festering rash, scabs, or a crushed testicle.
21No descendant of Aaron the priest who has a defect shall approach to present the offerings made by fire to the LORD. Since he has a defect, he is not to come near to offer the food of his God. 22He may eat the most holy food of his God as well as the holy food, 23but because he has a defect, he must not go near the veil or approach the altar, so as not to desecrate My sanctuaries. For I am the LORD who sanctifies them.’ ”
24Moses told this to Aaron and his sons and to all the Israelites.

Why do Christians believe Jesus can serve as High Priest with his physical blemishes endured while being whipped, and the nail wounds in his hands and feet, at the cross?

Leviticus 21
16Then the LORD said to Moses, 17“Say to Aaron, ‘For the generations to come, none of your descendants who has a physical defect may approach to offer the food of his God.
18No man who has any defect may approach—no man who is blind, lame, disfigured, or deformed; 19no man who has a broken foot or hand, 20or who is a hunchback or dwarf, or who has an eye defect, a festering rash, scabs, or a crushed testicle.
21No descendant of Aaron the priest who has a defect shall approach to present the offerings made by fire to the LORD. Since he has a defect, he is not to come near to offer the food of his God. 22He may eat the most holy food of his God as well as the holy food, 23but because he has a defect, he must not go near the veil or approach the altar, so as not to desecrate My sanctuaries. For I am the LORD who sanctifies them.’ ”
24Moses told this to Aaron and his sons and to all the Israelites.

Why do Christians believe Jesus can serve as High Priest with his physical blemishes endured while being whipped, and the nail wounds in his hands and feet, at the cross?
This OP demonstrates why the Mosaic Covenant (and its 613+ commands) is obsolete because closed minds take it to such extremes that they turn it into absurdity.

OP: Jesus cannot be the savior because he had a hole in his wrist and lacerations on his back. The Law says a priest shall not have a defect.

The alternative to absurdity is what Paul said,

“For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” (Gal. 5:14)

Last edited:
This OP demonstrates why the Mosaic Covenant (and its 613+ commands) is obsolete because closed minds take it to such extremes that they turn it into absurdity.
Rotfl... it shows that Christians want to use "spiritual" fulfillment instead of literal fulfillment when there's a problem.

OP: Jesus cannot be the savior because he had a hole in his wrist and lacerations on his back.
God is already the Savior. Why do we need another?

The Law says a priest shall not have a defect.
This is true. I didn't make the rules.

OP: Jesus cannot be the savior because he had a hole in his wrist and lacerations on his back. The Law says a priest shall not have a defect.

The alternative to absurdity is what Paul said,

“For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” (Gal. 5:14)
Actually, there are two aspects of the law. Love of God, and your neighbor. Your quote at best fulfills part of the law.

To know how to love your neighbor, you need to study and fulfill the rest that apply to your fellow.

Which doesn't prove He is isn't God.
Of course it does. God doesn't bow to Himself, or to anyone.

You shall have no other god before me...

Which teaches He is the proper recipient of prayer which proves He is God.
No, that would be idolatrous. Besides, gods with vails of flesh for cover are forbidden, Exodus 34:17, masecah.

Anyways, can you stick to the OP?

The Lord Jesus is without blemish (Hebrews 9:14; 1 Peter 1:19).

You aren't able to see the spiritual aspect to this because the veil still lies over your heart (2 Corinthians 3:15), but those who turn to the Lord Jesus the veil will be taken away (2 Corinthians 3:16).

Exodus 20
3You shall have no other gods before Me.a

4You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in the heavens above, on the earth below, or in the waters beneath. 5You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on their children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, 6but showing loving devotion to a thousand generationsb of those who love Me and keep My commandments.

Jesus by bowing is acknowledging there is no other God but the Father.

Also, the Father comes before Jesus in role, time, etc., so he ain't the God.

The original and only testament refutes you.

Last edited:
The Lord Jesus is without blemish (Hebrews 9:14; 1 Peter 1:19).

You aren't able to see the spiritual aspect to this because the veil still lies over your heart (2 Corinthians 3:15), but those who turn to the Lord Jesus the veil will be taken away (2 Corinthians 3:16).
He's got open holes in him. A priest can't serve that way.

Thus, proving Jesus is not a god.
Actually, the Father comes before Jesus in time, role, etc., proving Jesus isn't the God.

Jesus, according to Christians, proceeded, was begotten from the Father. The commandments above would contradict that Jesus is God just based on this point.

That's your outlandish assertion without proof (of course).
Read the commandments I gave you ;)

But Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God and serve Him only.’

Sorry. You can't serve two masters. Jesus has bowed and worshipped the God and will do it again.

Last edited:
Back