Can God Change His Mind?

Beloved

WOW keep trying to spread hate against God and again any Christians.
I'm sure you will try to twist Jeremiah 18.

God was going to judge Nineveh. However, Nineveh repented and changed its ways. As a result, God, in His holiness, had mercy on Nineveh and spared them.

Jeremiah 18:7–11
English Standard Version

7. If at any time I declare concerning a nation or a kingdom, that I will pluck up and break down and destroy it, and if that nation, concerning which I have spoken, turns from its evil, I will relent of the disaster that I intended to do to it.

9. And if at any time I declare concerning a nation or a kingdom that I will build and plant it,

10. and if it does evil in my sight, not listening to my voice, then I will relent of the good that I had intended to do to it.

11. Now, therefore, say to the men of Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem: ‘Thus says the Lord, Behold, I am shaping disaster against you and devising a plan against you. Return, every one from his evil way, and amend your ways and your deeds.’

treeplanter

WOW keep trying to spread hate against God and again any Christians.
I'm sure you will try to twist Jeremiah 18.

God was going to judge Nineveh. However, Nineveh repented and changed its ways. As a result, God, in His holiness, had mercy on Nineveh and spared them.

Jeremiah 18:7–11
English Standard Version

7. If at any time I declare concerning a nation or a kingdom, that I will pluck up and break down and destroy it, and if that nation, concerning which I have spoken, turns from its evil, I will relent of the disaster that I intended to do to it.

9. And if at any time I declare concerning a nation or a kingdom that I will build and plant it,

10. and if it does evil in my sight, not listening to my voice, then I will relent of the good that I had intended to do to it.

11. Now, therefore, say to the men of Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem: ‘Thus says the Lord, Behold, I am shaping disaster against you and devising a plan against you. Return, every one from his evil way, and amend your ways and your deeds.’
Yeah, in Jeremiah 18:7-11 - God says that if a person / nation turns from what He considers evil then He won't destroy him/her/it

Likewise, God says that any person / nation that He has given life to will surely be destroyed should he/she/it persist in doing evil

If you're expecting me to "twist" what scripture says then you are sorely mistaken and setting yourself up to be disappointed!

God, in Jeremiah 18, is warning the people / nation what He will do if they do evil
Exodus 32, however, is an entirely different animal
God, in Exodus 32, has already decided to destroy the people / nation due the evil that He has perceived them to have done

It's not a matter of "If you do evil, then I will destroy you"
It's a matter of "You HAVE done evil so now I am going to destroy you"

Nonetheless, God, in Exodus 32, then changed His mind and went back on His word for the benefit of man so why won't He or can't He do the same for us now???

Last edited:

treeplanter

that would indeed make it easier for you to run and hide. but I realized that's not what you want.

I think what Nouveau described actually applies to you.

I'm not the one running and hiding, Steve
That's you!

You said that:

God will not / cannot change His mind for the benefit of man coming to Him because to do so would make Him less a god and more a lying man like yourself

However, scripture says that God HAS, in the past, changed His mind for the benefit of man coming to Him!
{Exodus 32:1-14}

So clearly, and this is according to the bible, itself - God IS fully capable of changing His mind for the benefit of man!!

Obviously, you are wrong, Steve

Rather than acknowledge that you are wrong - you run and hide
Rather than offer an alternate explanation - you run and hide

An inability to acknowledge when one is wrong?
A refusal to revisit a topic wherein one has been proven wrong?
Smells of narcissism to me!

SteveB

I'm not the one running and hiding, Steve
That's you!

You said that:

God will not / cannot change His mind for the benefit of man coming to Him because to do so would make Him less a god and more a lying man like yourself

However, scripture says that God HAS, in the past, changed His mind for the benefit of man coming to Him!
{Exodus 32:1-14}

So clearly, and this is according to the bible, itself - God IS fully capable of changing His mind for the benefit of man!!

Obviously, you are wrong, Steve

Rather than acknowledge that you are wrong - you run and hide
Rather than offer an alternate explanation - you run and hide

An inability to acknowledge when one is wrong?
A refusal to revisit a topic wherein one has been proven wrong?
Smells of narcissism to me!
FOR THE BENEFIT OF MAN..... turning TO GOD FROM their sin.

Turn to God from your sin and God will relent of the wrath building against you.

Read Jonah. It's a classic example of this.

God has repeatedly stated that he will change his mind towards those who call on him and repent.

If you do not repent, God will not change you.

Had you bothered reading the quote from Ezekiel 18, and 33, you would have seen this.

Isaiah 59.
God's hand is not short that he cannot save. Nor his ear dull/deaf that he cannot hear. Rather, it's your sin that blocks him.

Isa 59:1-3 WEB 1 Behold, Yahweh’s hand is not shortened, that it can’t save; nor his ear dull, that it can’t hear. 2 But your iniquities have separated you and your God, and your sins have hidden his face from you, so that he will not hear. 3 For your hands are defiled with blood, and your fingers with iniquity. Your lips have spoken lies. Your tongue mutters wickedness.

Joel warns us to tear our hearts, and God will relent.

Joe 2:12-14 WEB 12 “Yet even now,” says Yahweh, “turn to me with all your heart, and with fasting, and with weeping, and with mourning.” 13 Tear your heart, and not your garments, and turn to Yahweh, your God; for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and abundant in loving kindness, and relents from sending calamity. 14 Who knows? He may turn and relent, and leave a blessing behind him, even a meal offering and a drink offering to Yahweh, your God.

Refusal to turn from your sin and placing your trust in Jesus.... you remain under condemnation. And continuing to sin adds wrath to your judgment.

According to Romans 1, there comes a point where God gives you over to your sin, and leaves you to your own devices.
This is not a place you want to be.

As in Ezekiel 18, he pleads with you to turn to him from your sin.

treeplanter

FOR THE BENEFIT OF MAN..... turning TO GOD FROM their sin.

Turn to God from your sin and God will relent of the wrath building against you.

Read Jonah. It's a classic example of this.

God has repeatedly stated that he will change his mind towards those who call on him and repent.

If you do not repent, God will not change you.

Had you bothered reading the quote from Ezekiel 18, and 33, you would have seen this.

Isaiah 59.
God's hand is not short that he cannot save. Nor his ear dull/deaf that he cannot hear. Rather, it's your sin that blocks him.

Isa 59:1-3 WEB 1 Behold, Yahweh’s hand is not shortened, that it can’t save; nor his ear dull, that it can’t hear. 2 But your iniquities have separated you and your God, and your sins have hidden his face from you, so that he will not hear. 3 For your hands are defiled with blood, and your fingers with iniquity. Your lips have spoken lies. Your tongue mutters wickedness.

Joel warns us to tear our hearts, and God will relent.

Joe 2:12-14 WEB 12 “Yet even now,” says Yahweh, “turn to me with all your heart, and with fasting, and with weeping, and with mourning.” 13 Tear your heart, and not your garments, and turn to Yahweh, your God; for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and abundant in loving kindness, and relents from sending calamity. 14 Who knows? He may turn and relent, and leave a blessing behind him, even a meal offering and a drink offering to Yahweh, your God.

Refusal to turn from your sin and placing your trust in Jesus.... you remain under condemnation. And continuing to sin adds wrath to your judgment.

According to Romans 1, there comes a point where God gives you over to your sin, and leaves you to your own devices.
This is not a place you want to be.

As in Ezekiel 18, he pleads with you to turn to him from your sin.
"Turn to God from your sin and God will relent of the wrath building against you" UNLESS YOU EXCEED, EVEN BY ONE SECOND, THE DEADLINE THAT HE HAS SET!

In that case, God will send you to be burned and tortured for eternity

Doesn't matter that He has, in the past, granted an extension of His deadline - He is going condemn you to eternal damnation!

Doesn't matter if you are a good person who has lived a good life - die without having come to Him and He will toss you in the Lake of Fire!

Doesn't matter if you would have happily accepted Him in the moment following your death - He is going to tell you "Too late!

GET THIS THROUGH YOUR HEAD, STEVE!

THERE ARE THOSE WHO ARE MORE THAN WILLING, IN THE MOMENT FOLLOWING THEIR DEATH, TO TURN TO GOD FROM THEIR SIN AND GOD SAYS TO THEM:

"SCREW YOU - YOU SHOULD HAVE DONE SO IN THE MOMENT BEFORE DEATH - YOU'RE GOING TO HELL!"

Why does God set a deadline by which to repent???
If God truly loves us and wants us to be with Him then why doesn't He give us EVERY opportunity to choose Him???
Considering that God has already changed His mind and extended His deadline in the past - why can't He do so now???

Whateverman

A certain CARM Christian, in another thread, has asserted that God will not / cannot change His mind to the benefit of His creation {us} because to do so would make Him less a god and more a man

This CARM Christian even goes so far as to claim that God will not / cannot change His mind to benefit us because to do so would make Him a liar!
Can you find a quote/post for these two claims? I looked, and couldn't find the exact phrase you used above.

I have no doubt that your interlocutor said exactly what you've claimed, but I just want a link for it, for future reference...

SteveB

"Turn to God from your sin and God will relent of the wrath building against you" UNLESS YOU EXCEED, EVEN BY ONE SECOND, THE DEADLINE THAT HE HAS SET!

In that case, God will send you to be burned and tortured for eternity

Doesn't matter that He has, in the past, granted an extension of His deadline - He is going condemn you to eternal damnation!

Doesn't matter if you are a good person who has lived a good life - die without having come to Him and He will toss you in the Lake of Fire!

Doesn't matter if you would have happily accepted Him in the moment following your death - He is going to tell you "Too late!

GET THIS THROUGH YOUR HEAD, STEVE!

THERE ARE THOSE WHO ARE MORE THAN WILLING, IN THE MOMENT FOLLOWING THEIR DEATH, TO TURN TO GOD FROM THEIR SIN AND GOD SAYS TO THEM:

"SCREW YOU - YOU SHOULD HAVE DONE SO IN THE MOMENT BEFORE DEATH - YOU'RE GOING TO HELL!"

Why does God set a deadline by which to repent???
If God truly loves us and wants us to be with Him then why doesn't He give us EVERY opportunity to choose Him???
Considering that God has already changed His mind and extended His deadline in the past - why can't He do so now???
Iow, you deserve special treatment.
You of all people are special, so you should be given what nobody else gets.

Must be nice to be so demanding.

Let me know how that works out for you.