Catholic meditation on the Passion of Christ - Liguori

Arch Stanton said:
I'll refer to your 3rd paragraph...[as I am writing this, you and several others are still going on....]

"It is finished" is often mentioned as the last part of what Christ did for us. However, everything was not accomplished yet. In Romans 4:25, St. Paul teaches that our redemption is not complete without Christ being "raised for our justification."

With me so far?
believers are far past...

go ahead and post what Paul meant by that. be clear, concise, specific, short and to the point please.

So Jesus says 'its finished' but not really?

Rom 4:25
Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.

You didn't mention Romans 4:25 earlier, did you? If so, where did you do so? But this is what Paul wrote, in context:

I don't see where Paul wrote here that our redemption was "incomplete", until Jesus rose from the dead. Where did Paul write that here? Jesus Himself said "it is finished!" and there was an earthquake and the heavy temple curtain was torn in two from top to bottom, that separated the Holy of Holies from the rest of the temple.

But what else did Paul write? From Col. 2:

And from Romans 6:

Jesus took on Himself our sins, and nailed them to His cross. When He died, our sins "died' with Him. He therefore paid for them completely with His death.

Jesus also said in John 17:4--"I have brought you glory on earth by finishing the work you gave me to do." Jesus had not yet died on the cross and risen from the dead yet, He said he had finished or accomplished the work His Father gave Him to do. How is that? I think it is because Jesus knew He would do everything He came to earth to do; that He would suffer, die, and rise from the dead--even though those things were in the future.

But Jesus DID say from the cross "It is finished!" And He wasn't announcing the end of the Passover Seder meal. All Jews would have known when that was. They had been observing the Passover for over a thousand years.

Doesn't make any difference the last sentence was unnecessary and your response was also in the same vein as that last sentence.
It was necessary ... you jump in without even learning what it means. All the side shows keep you from learning.

Wheres the rest of my post? What translation did you use? Where does Paul say our justification isn't complete unless Jesus is raised?

just another RCC tactic... it distracts from His truth.
All I asked for was clarification of what was posted, that is all. Is that too much to ask? And then, Catholics wonder why we misunderstand or misrepresent what they write....the onus is on them, IF they refuse to clarify or explain what they write on here.

I get SO tired of this, instead of straight-forward answers:

4698243931_0a2e604198_z.jpg

Last edited:
It was necessary ... you jump in without even learning what it means. All the side shows keep you from learning.
It wasn't necessary andd it shows you do not learn what it means. You have nothing to teach me, and your posts prove that. I do not learn from them because you follow the RCC and its false teachings.

What translation are you using that says; 'our redemption "is not complete" without Christ being raised....'

Why are you compartmentalizing salvation. So Jesus says 'its finished' but not really?

Rom 4:25
Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.
Plus, Jesus' resurrection proves that He overcame sin and death, and also, is God.

All I asked for was clarification of what was posted, that is all. Is that too much to ask? And then, Catholics wonder why we misunderstand or misrepresent what they write....the onus is on them, IF they refuse to clarify or explain what they write on here.

I get SO tired of this, instead of straight-forward answers:

4698243931_0a2e604198_z.jpg
They have to do the RCC dance because they know they cannot support their institutions false teachings. It is so sad.

Plus, the supposed "proto-pope" Peter, wrote this:

He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds you have been healed” (v. 24). - 1 Peter 2:22–25

Peter was quoting Isaiah 43 in the last sentence.

Plus, Jesus' resurrection proves that He overcame sin and death, and also, is God.
Right, its all one thing together; death, burial, resurrection. Not sure if its theologically accurate but i see them all as one event. His death by itself doesn't prove He is God. The resurrection validates the rest but atonement was completed on the cross. Hope that makes sense.

Right, its all one thing together; death, burial, resurrection. Not sure if its theologically accurate but i see them all as one event. His death by itself doesn't prove He is God. The resurrection validates the rest but atonement was completed on the cross. Hope that makes sense.
Yes, it does. By rising from the dead, Jesus makes it possible for us to rise from the dead. And He has stated that HE will raise us up on the last day. God bless you, Nondenom and thank you.

Back