CDC Study Finds Double Masks Offer Much Better Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torin

If you have a WSJ subscription, you can read the article below. Basically, it's just saying that double masking is a lot more effective at protecting the wearer from COVID than a single mask. I'll quote the key part.

"In a series of laboratory experiments using headforms and machines to generate aerosols, the CDC found that wearing a three-ply cloth mask over a three-ply medical or surgical mask blocked 92.5% of particles from a cough.

That was much more effective than a single mask. A surgical mask alone blocked cough particles by 42%, and a cloth mask blocked them by 44.3%."

Link: https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/covid-2021-02-10/card/aJXNzIW8OJ5G0R6bQFTm

I'm not posting this to make any particular political point. It's just that it might help someone avoid getting COVID. :)

Edit per mod

Double Masks Offer Significantly Better Protection, CDC Study Finds​

By Betsy McKay

Wearing a three-ply cloth mask over a three-ply medical or surgical mask blocked more than 90% of particles from a cough.MARK MORAN/ASSOCIATED PRESS

Upgrading your mask can really make a big difference, according to a study published Wednesday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Wearing a double mask or fitting a single mask more closely on the face substantially reduces the risk of infection with the Covid-19 virus, the study, published in the agency’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, found.

In a series of laboratory experiments using headforms and machines to generate aerosols, the CDC found that wearing a three-ply cloth mask over a three-ply medical or surgical mask blocked 92.5% of particles from a cough.

That was much more effective than a single mask. A surgical mask alone blocked cough particles by 42%, and a cloth mask blocked them by 44.3%.

Many medical and engineering experts say people need to upgrade their masks because new variants of the virus are spreading around the country, particularly one that is significantly more transmissible than the currently most common strain. Other studies have shown benefits from wearing double masks or using mask fitters, devices which tighten the fit.

Still other experts say that people should wear N95 masks, which are used primarily in hospitals and are certified to filter out at least 95% of small particles.

The CDC is trying to accomplish two goals: convince people to wear a mask at all--since many aren’t doing that currently--and offer options on its website that can help them improve or find a good fit, said John Brooks, chief medical officer of the agency’s Covid-19 response.
“Masking is one of our most potent means for not only the epidemic and its effects on human health and the economy, but also for slowing viral evolution,” he said. “We are looking at all the ways we can enhance our prevention measures.”

It isn’t known whether the performance of single or double masks is different against the new variants, Dr. Brooks said. “It’s the same virus, so the measures should work,” he said. “What we don't know is how effectively they will work.”

In the lab experiments, the double mask was also more protective against aerosols from breathing. It blocked 83% of aerosols emitted during 15 minutes of quiet breathing by an unmasked headform in a small room. The protection was 96.4% when the other person in the room was also wearing a double mask or a close-fitting single mask, the study found.

The CDC also tested the effectiveness of a medical or surgical mask that was better fitted by tying knots in the ear loops and tucking the sides in close to the face. Wearing that mask blocked 64.5% of aerosols emitted by the other headform, which was unmasked, and 95.9% of the particles when the headform was masked.

“Whatever we can do to improve the performance of masks right now will speed our control of this pandemic,” Dr. Brooks said

ps. this technique probably works with other browsers too; I simply haven't tested it.

pps. I've been seeing various media sites finding a way to get around this work-around, so who knows how long we'll be able to keep using this technique...

Last edited by a moderator:
For the record, I certainly do not endorse @Whateverman's technique of circumventing the subscription requirement. Reporters and publications ought to be paid for their work.

2 dirty masks are better than 1dirty mask.

Sterile gloves, scrub hands with disinfectant to above elbow with a brush. Sterile gown. Sterile sheets and drapes, disinfected room.

I have worn mask in surgery 1o,ooo hours more than you and FaoChi combined.

The mask usage is about as effective in protection as

Using a Binky pacifier for a power lunch nutrition.

Masks are used to prevent bacterial contamination of an open wound.Bacteria 100's times larger than a virus.

For the record, I certainly do not endorse @Whateverman's technique of circumventing the subscription requirement. Reporters and publications ought to be paid for their work.
That's entirely fair, but why create a thread about a story most people aren't going to be able to read? You could have copied/pasted it here, or cited the article from somewhere else.

Do whatever you want, of course.

That's entirely fair, but why create a thread about a story most people aren't going to be able to read? You could have copied/pasted it here, or cited the article from somewhere else.

Do whatever you want, of course.
Because I copied the relevant part here, and people are intelligent enough to use Google if they don't have a WSJ subscription. I am of course not going to copy and paste an article here when that would mean the authors won't get compensated for their work, since that would involve the same violation of my principles.

And of course, no decision on my part could justify your advising people to circumvent the paywall. Everything I've done in this thread is ethically above board, even if it was a bit "clunky" for the reasons you describe.

I hope you'll stop doing this. It is technically a violation of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act. That does not make for a fun time if you're caught. I have no idea how likely anyone is to be caught or prosecuted for this, but why take the chance - especially when what you're doing is not morally right?

"In a series of laboratory experiments using headforms and machines to generate aerosols, the CDC found that wearing a three-ply cloth mask over a three-ply medical or surgical mask blocked 92.5% of particles from a cough.
...and cough particles cause 100% of Covid deaths!

You have to prove that first.

Edit per mod

ps. this technique probably works with other browsers too; I simply haven't tested it.

pps. I've been seeing various media sites finding a way to get around this work-around, so who knows how long we'll be able to keep using this technique...
Pay for WSJ
They quote me on the front page and above the fold. Twice.

They don't call you for a story.

If you have a WSJ subscription, you can read the article below. Basically, it's just saying that double masking is a lot more effective at protecting the wearer from COVID than a single mask. I'll quote the key part.

That was much more effective than a single mask. A surgical mask alone blocked cough particles by 42%, and a cloth mask blocked them by 44.3%."

Link: https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/covid-2021-02-10/card/aJXNzIW8OJ5G0R6bQFTm

I'm not posting this to make any particular political point. It's just that it might help someone avoid getting COVID. :)
Thanks CDC! But when we want your opinion, we’ll ask for it. ?

Here’s what I want to know...

When, exactly, did the “center for disease control” get into the real estate business...

Seems a little odd, doesn’t it?

On March, 8 2020 — Dr. Anthony Fauci advised healthy Americans against wearing face masks.

In April 2020 — The CDC said Americans should be wearing masks for the COVID.

In May 2020 — Dr. Anthony Fauci and the New England Journal of Medicine have admitted that masks are little more than symbols. Virtue signaling.

On January 25, 2021 — Dr. Fauci told healthy Americans to wear two masks instead of one.

On January 31, 2021 —This weekend Dr. Fauci backtracked on that insane idea of wearing multiple masks.

Quack Fao Chi is mentally unstable.

Sure and can make it harder to breathe too.
The more material you wear in front of your face, the more resistance there is to expelling air through the cloth - it then is forced more to the gaps where the seal is not airtight - like around the edges of the mask. Just common sense.
If you can comfortably wear two masks, go right ahead, but please spare us any future mandates.

2 dirty masks are better than 1dirty mask.

Sterile gloves, scrub hands with disinfectant to above elbow with a brush. Sterile gown. Sterile sheets and drapes, disinfected room.

I have worn mask in surgery 1o,ooo hours more than you and FaoChi combined.

The mask usage is about as effective in protection as

Using a Binky pacifier for a power lunch nutrition.

Masks are used to prevent bacterial contamination of an open wound.Bacteria 100's times larger than a virus.
You're not a doctor. That much is obvious.

Sure and can make it harder to breathe too.
The more material you wear in front of your face, the more resistance there is to expelling air through the cloth - it then is forced more to the gaps where the seal is not airtight - like around the edges of the mask. Just common sense.
If you can comfortably wear two masks, go right ahead, but please spare us any future mandates.

And let's further deprive our brains of oxygen. Sounds great.

Wanna hear a funny story? I went for a stress test in August. Asked the woman if I had to keep the mask on. She said yes. I asked if she was trying to kill me. She told me to twist the elastic before hooking it behind my ears, to create a gap at the sides.
I refrained from making any more comments.....

None of the geniuses suggest changing masks twice as often.

My furnace repairman suggested changing filters every month. Yesterday.
I suggest people buy electrostatic air filters.

And let's further deprive our brains of oxygen. Sounds great.

Wanna hear a funny story? I went for a stress test in August. Asked the woman if I had to keep the mask on. She said yes. I asked if she was trying to kill me. She told me to twist the elastic before hooking it behind my ears, to create a gap at the sides.
I refrained from making any more comments.....
That is funny.

Your rate of respiration is regulated by CO2 level in your blood gases.

That is funny.

Your rate of respiration is regulated by CO2 level in your blood gases.

I forgot to mention - for the benefit of those who've never had the test- that she was standing next to the treadmill, just a couplefeet to my left. And the other woman doing the imaging sat next to the table, just a couple feet to my right. And of course my respiration was increased...not to mention if I had coughed/ sneezed....but, hey, as long as they "felt" safe, right?

It's funny how mere fact triggers some conservatives.

If you feel that wearing two masks is an unacceptable slap in the face, don't.

You not doing this doesn't change the fact that wearing two masks is more effective than wearing one, though. Anyone with a genuine desire to get this country out of the pandemic ASAP will do whatever they reasonably can to accomplish this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back