Cheap Grace faith alone

I will leave you with this for now .

James 2
What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? 15 Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

18 But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.”

Show me your faith without deeds,and I will show you my faith by my deeds. 19 You believe that there is one God.Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.

20 You foolish person, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless 21 Was not our father Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? 22 You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. 23 And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” and he was called God’s friend. 24 You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone.

25 In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction? 26 As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

hope this helps !!!
I enjoyed reading that. What hit me the most was about Abraham and Isaac In verse 22. Because he had faith he was able to obey and do what God told him to do. A work of faith. Hay that's a good one "a work of faith". I'm sure you heard it hundred times the old saying "We are not saved by our good works, but we are saved for good works".

I found this one:
The work of faith denotes the proper actions of a genuine believer. It is not the performing of a certain task or the doing of certain good deeds to help others. No, it is our daily action as believers, the action that is a product of faith.

I enjoyed reading that. What hit me the most was about Abraham and Isaac In verse 22. Because he had faith he was able to obey and do what God told him to do. A work of faith. Hay that's a good one "a work of faith". I'm sure you heard it hundred times the old saying "We are not saved by our good works, but we are saved for good works".

I found this one:
The work of faith denotes the proper actions of a genuine believer. It is not the performing of a certain task or the doing of certain good deeds to help others. No, it is our daily action as believers, the action that is a product of faith.
A list of works of faith

Hebrews 11:1-38 (KJV)
1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
2 For by it the elders obtained a good report.
3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
4 By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.
5 By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.
6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
7 By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.
8 By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went.
9 By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise:
10 For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God.
11 Through faith also Sara herself received strength to conceive seed, and was delivered of a child when she was past age, because she judged him faithful who had promised.
12 Therefore sprang there even of one, and him as good as dead, so many as the stars of the sky in multitude, and as the sand which is by the sea shore innumerable.
13 These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.
14 For they that say such things declare plainly that they seek a country.
15 And truly, if they had been mindful of that country from whence they came out, they might have had opportunity to have returned.
16 But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.
17 By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son,
18 Of whom it was said, That in Isaac shall thy seed be called:
19 Accounting that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead; from whence also he received him in a figure.
20 By faith Isaac blessed Jacob and Esau concerning things to come.
21 By faith Jacob, when he was a dying, blessed both the sons of Joseph; and worshipped, leaning upon the top of his staff.
22 By faith Joseph, when he died, made mention of the departing of the children of Israel; and gave commandment concerning his bones.
23 By faith Moses, when he was born, was hid three months of his parents, because they saw he was a proper child; and they were not afraid of the king's commandment.
24 By faith Moses, when he was come to years, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter;
25 Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season;
26 Esteeming the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures in Egypt: for he had respect unto the recompence of the reward.
27 By faith he forsook Egypt, not fearing the wrath of the king: for he endured, as seeing him who is invisible.
28 Through faith he kept the passover, and the sprinkling of blood, lest he that destroyed the firstborn should touch them.
29 By faith they passed through the Red sea as by dry land: which the Egyptians assaying to do were drowned.
30 By faith the walls of Jericho fell down, after they were compassed about seven days.
31 By faith the harlot Rahab perished not with them that believed not, when she had received the spies with peace.
32 And what shall I more say? for the time would fail me to tell of Gedeon, and of Barak, and of Samson, and of Jephthae; of David also, and Samuel, and of the prophets:
33 Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions,
34 Quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in fight, turned to flight the armies of the aliens.
35 Women received their dead raised to life again: and others were tortured, not accepting deliverance; that they might obtain a better resurrection:
36 And others had trial of cruel mockings and scourgings, yea, moreover of bonds and imprisonment:
37 They were stoned, they were sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain with the sword: they wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins; being destitute, afflicted, tormented;
38 (Of whom the world was not worthy:) they wandered in deserts, and in mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth.

In Salvation faith and repentance go together. J.I. Packer says it this way : Repentance is inseparable from faith, being the negative aspect (faith is the positive aspect) of turning to Christ as Lord and Savior. I like to say its two sides of the same coin.

1-No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all perish as well.” (Luke 13:3)

2-“This is what is written: The Messiah would suffer and rise from the dead the third day, and repentance for forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in his name to all the nations, beginning at Jerusalem.” (Luke 24:46-47)

3-“Peter replied, ‘Repent and be baptized, each of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.’” (Acts 2:38)

4-“I testified to both Jews and Greeks about repentance toward God and faith in our Lord Jesus.” (Acts 20:21)

5-“I preached to those in Damascus first, and to those in Jerusalem and in all the region of Judea, and to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works worthy of repentance.” (Acts 26:20)

Last edited by a moderator:
I just read this in my daily devotions and it seemed to fit in with this thread.

Grace, God's Power Freely Given​

For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you.
Romans 12:3

If you've been in the world very long, you've learned that there are very few days that go exactly the way we'd like them to go. Thankfully, God is never going to put us in a situation without giving us the ability to be in it with joy.

I believe God gives us His special grace for every situation. Here's how I like to define grace: God's power to help us do whatever it is we need to do. You can have that power today, but you have to receive it, and the only way to receive it is by faith.

Romans 12:3 says that "God has allotted to each a measure of faith."

Ask yourself today, "What am I doing with my faith?" Are you putting your faith in yourself, or in others, or in your circumstances? That's not living in grace, that's just living by your own strength and works. And it won't get the job done!

But when you release your faith and trust God to do what you can't do, you're putting your faith in Him. Then grace, God's power, will come through the channel of faith and will enable you to do things that will amaze you and others.

Here's my longer definition of grace: It's God's power coming to us freely, meaning it doesn't cost us anything other than just putting our faith in God, enabling us to do with ease what we could never do on our own with any amount of struggle or effort.

Put your faith in God. He wants to give you His grace today.

I just read this in my daily devotions and it seemed to fit in with this thread.

Grace, God's Power Freely Given​

For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you.
Romans 12:3

If you've been in the world very long, you've learned that there are very few days that go exactly the way we'd like them to go. Thankfully, God is never going to put us in a situation without giving us the ability to be in it with joy.

I believe God gives us His special grace for every situation. Here's how I like to define grace: God's power to help us do whatever it is we need to do. You can have that power today, but you have to receive it, and the only way to receive it is by faith.

Romans 12:3 says that "God has allotted to each a measure of faith."

Ask yourself today, "What am I doing with my faith?" Are you putting your faith in yourself, or in others, or in your circumstances? That's not living in grace, that's just living by your own strength and works. And it won't get the job done!

But when you release your faith and trust God to do what you can't do, you're putting your faith in Him. Then grace, God's power, will come through the channel of faith and will enable you to do things that will amaze you and others.

Here's my longer definition of grace: It's God's power coming to us freely, meaning it doesn't cost us anything other than just putting our faith in God, enabling us to do with ease what we could never do on our own with any amount of struggle or effort.

Put your faith in God. He wants to give you His grace today.
Boy oh boy ain't that the God's honest truth as the saying goes. Excellent !

Joh 16:33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
I've always loved that Scripture. The key to make that peace real in your life abide in Jesus And not lean on your own understanding.

But I say, walk habitually in the [Holy] Spirit [seek Him and be responsive to His guidance], and then you will certainly not carry out the desire of the flesh... the sinful nature [which responds impulsively without regard for God and His precepts]. Galatians 5:16

I believe every time we feel frustration, it means we've really stopped relying on God. That might sound like a bold statement to you, but think about it: God's given you and me His Holy Spirit and His grace to help us walk through anything that comes our way. Frustration hits when we stop depending on Him and try to make something happen our own way.

Understanding this really helped me. Every time I became frustrated, I reminded myself that what I was really doing was trying to take the place of the Holy Spirit. I was trying to be Holy Spirit Junior!

Last edited:

James 2
What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? 15 Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

Show me your faith without deeds,and I will show you my faith by my deeds. 19 You believe that there is one God.Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.

20 You foolish person, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless 21 Was not our father Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? 22 You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. 23 And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” and he was called God’s friend. 24 You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone.

25 In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction? 26 As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

hope this helps !!!
Works witness to "saving faith" already possessed. That is seen in the visual words used by James, "you show me ... I'll show you ... you see." The faith under consideration is a "said faith" (2:14; cf Heb 11), faith accompanied by works is a genuine faith.

So how sacrificial is your love?

Are you willing to give up your house and wife and family and good life to go live in a hut in Africa with no running water?

Most people on this forum can’t even give up their pride to truly love someone with a theological difference, but resort to accusations, mean words, and snark, let alone love each other as Christ loved them.

When’s the last time you prayed for someone on this forum as if it were your best friend, as if you were praying literally for Jesus Christ who died for them? Shed actual tears? Forewent doing something fun to actually care?

Or just post a few funny insults about the door hitting somebody on their way out and a Youtube cartoon, then go watch a movie, play some golf, listen to high fidelity audio, and consume some great food. What a sacrificial life.

When’s the last time you even spent an hour just ministering to God, telling him you love him, sitting at his feet? That’s less time than most movies. That kind of character reflects then in all you do.

Just chuck a few bucks and books to the ministries and paste a few Bible verses on a forum and your the greatest most sacrificial most heartfelt Christ-like saint that ever lived?

Is that the way Christ lived? Is that what Christ did? When he gave up literally everything he had to hang out with a bunch of ungrateful, selfish, prideful disciples who all forsook him in his time of greatest need so he could suffer for the wrath of God and punishment that all their ungrateful butts deserved?

The problem with preaching holiness, is our standards are just so God-forsakenly low, yet we think they are so spectacularly high.

Knowing I don’t have to pay God back, knowing I don’t have to live up to the standard of the Law to please him, knowing my greatest, most sacrificial work is just a menstrual cloth, a disgusting pile of dung, frees me and releases me from the burden of thinking I’ve become holier than every other man by pumping out a few superficial “good works” and thinking they are the shizz, that they’ve made me achieve holiness and perfect discipleship and absolute Christ likeness, when I’m just being puffed up by my own pile of stinking garbage—but knowing I can’t do a thing, it’s all God’s grace, then I do more accidentally than I ever tried to do on purpose.

Our works won’t fly on the judgment seat, nor will they earn us a place in heaven, nor do they make us better people, they just puff us up into self-righteous hypocritical delusional Pharisees who look down on people who don’t “Jesus” as well as we have managed to.

Any works I will do that count, are works done in spite of me, not because of me, and I will offer my life for Christ to take over—and use if he wants to—but not because I’m achieving a great thing that Jesus has to be impressed by. Jesus did all the heavy lifting, all the substantial works, and I’m just here for the ride.

We will be judged for our works—and most Christians will be absolutely shocked by their abysmal low standards and hard hearts.

But we won’t get into heaven by them, that’s for sure.

....God, 6 who will render to each person according to his works: 7 to those who by perseverance in doing good seek for glory and honor and immortality - eternal life. 8 But to those who are selfishly ambitious and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, wrath and indignation. 9 There will be tribulation and distress for every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek, 10 but glory and honor and peace to everyone who does good....on the Day when, according to my Gospel, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus.
Romans 2

If anyone wishes to come after me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow me. 25 For whoever wants to save his soul will lose it but whoever loses his soul for my sake will find it. 26 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? 27 For the son of man is going to come in the glory of his Father with his angels, and will then repay every man according to his deeds. Matthew 16:24-27

James 2

hope this helps !!!
Fruit of the vine, as Bruiser said.

That’s what the majority of churches teach that all one has to do is "accept Jesus" and you will experience the abundant life and everything will be great and God will bless you with the desires of your heart. And we wonder why the " church" in America has no influence in our culture.
Yep. I agree.
Just believe you are saved by faith alone and Jesus covers all your sinful continued lifestyle, no need to obey Him.
Unfortunately that’s the way many live, but a tree is known by its fruit. These people are being misled.
The fact is Jesus made it hard to follow Him and said it might very well cost you your life, family, friends etc..... He said to count the cost before attempting to follow Him and many turned away from Him. In fact, Jesus said if the hate Me they will hate you and you will suffer persecution on My behalf. God’s word promises believers that they will face various trials but God will be there will you so that you might stand up under those trials. This easy believism in our culture has no effect on it whatsoever but those who count the cost and Jesus is their Lord will endure under hardship and He will sustain you. Most want to go to a church that makes them feel good, build up their self-esteem and continue to live in their sins because " Jesus has forgiven you ". It’s a sad case how those teachers are leading people away from the Living God with their heresies, wolves in sheep's clothing.
Indeed.
They want Him as their Savior yet deny Him as their Lord. There is no Savior without Him as your Lord. Why do you call Me Lord Lord and do not what I say ? Depart from Me you workers of iniquity - I never knew you are Jesus words.
This is one of the errors of free will Christianity. All you have to do is say a sinners prayer and, Shazam! Your saved.
And you may or may how realize, in these churches they preach only about God’s love. People don’t want to hear about their sin or how sinful they are. They even say they want to hear about God’s love. Antinomianism.
Are you His disciple ?
Do you obey Him ?
Do you call Him Lord and yet do not deny yourself, take up your cross daily and follow Him ?

Easy believism is the doctrine of demons without works.
I tend to believe if one is truly saved, which is by faith alone, the Spirit does a sanctifying work in them. They will begin to bear the fruit of the spirit and obedience. And why shouldn’t that? They are a new man in Christ.
If they do not, it could be for a few different reasons. One, they are not truly saved. Two, they are saved but are not being taught law and gospel, and may be in the milk for quite some time. We do have weaker brethren in the faith.

But I believe as the Spirit continues His sanctification in a believers life there should come a time they will be maturing.

Yep. I agree.

Unfortunately that’s the way many live, but a tree is known by its fruit. These people are being misled.

Indeed.

This is one of the errors of free will Christianity. All you have to do is say a sinners prayer and, Shazam! Your saved.
And you may or may how realize, in these churches they preach only about God’s love. People don’t want to hear about their sin or how sinful they are. They even say they want to hear about God’s love. Antinomianism.

I tend to believe if one is truly saved, which is by faith alone, the Spirit does a sanctifying work in them. They will begin to bear the fruit of the spirit and obedience. And why shouldn’t that? They are a new man in Christ.
If they do not, it could be for a few different reasons. One, they are not truly saved. Two, they are saved but are not being taught law and gospel, and may be in the milk for quite some time. We do have weaker brethren in the faith.

But I believe as the Spirit continues His sanctification in a believers life there should come a time they will be maturing.
Would you say that some people's Faith is Corban?

Their Faith is Synergistic. they gift God with their Faith...
Got ya.
Ya know the more I think on these things, I see passion in many free willers. Many are saved, they just don’t realize how it happened. I think they feel they are protecting God’s character.

Back