Chosen to Salvation !

brightfame52

2 Thess 2:13

But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

Many in mans religion deny the fact that Gods People, His Beloved, were chosen to salvation by Him. This Salvation consists in Two Spiritual Blessings #1 Sanctification of the Spirit and #2 Belief of the Truth/Faith ,

So God from the beginning Chose them to be recipients of the sanctifying works of the Spirit and belief in the Truth, which are Salvation blessings.

In other words, Faith/ belief of the Truth is the result of God saving us. We cant believe the truth when were by nature lost, or we cant believe the Truth without being saved first by the saving work of the Spirit. Its that same work Paul writes of in Titus 3:5

Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

Without this saving mercy of the Spirit renewing us, we cant believe the Truth. Paul here in 2 Thess 2:13 is describing what Salvation is that Gods elect were chosen to: It consists in the Sanctifying Work if the Spirit and Belief of the Truth.

This is what the New Covenant promised to the Elect of God Ezk 36: 25-27

Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.

26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

TomFL

2 Thess 2:13

But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

That simply notes God chose to save by sanctification of the spirit and belief in the truth

This can likely refer to gentiles as well as the Jews

“Verse 13. & 14. God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation, &c. In your calling, God has shown the purpose that he had formed from the beginning, to call the Gentiles to the same privileges with the Jews, not through circumcision, and the observance of the Mosaic law, but by faith in Christ Jesus; but this simple way of salvation referred to the same end — holiness, without which no man, whether Jew or Gentile, can see the Lord.”

(Adam Clarke, Adam Clarke’s Commentary on the Whole Bible, Accordance electronic ed. (Altamonte Springs: OakTree Software, 2004), paragraph 48994.)

brightfame52

That simply notes God chose to save by sanctification of the spirit and belief in the truth

“Verse 13. & 14. God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation, &c. In your calling, God has shown the purpose that he had formed from the beginning, to call the Gentiles to the same privileges with the Jews, not through circumcision, and the observance of the Mosaic law, but by faith in Christ Jesus; but this simple way of salvation referred to the same end — holiness, without which no man, whether Jew or Gentile, can see the Lord.”

(Adam Clarke, Adam Clarke’s Commentary on the Whole Bible, Accordance electronic ed. (Altamonte Springs: OakTree Software, 2004), paragraph 48994.)
Do you see in the OP what Salvation 2 Thess 2 13 is talking about ? And people were chosen to this Salvation !

brightfame52

BTW didnt you critize me for using a reference from John Gill ? Lol now you turn around and use a statement from Adam Clarke. Isn't that hypocritical ?

TomFL

Do you see in the OP what Salvation 2 Thess 2 13 is talking about ? And people were chosen to this Salvation !
Did you read what I stated

and can you deal with it

TomFL

BTW didnt you critize me for using a reference from John Gill ? Lol now you turn around and use a statement from Adam Clarke. Isn't that hypocritical ?
You quoted John Gill today I believe but I don't recall saying anything about it.

brightfame52

Election is founded in Gods Love !

Notice what Paul wrote to the believers in Thessalonia 2 Thess 2:13

The Chosen to Salvation are the Beloved of the Lord ! That word Beloved agapaó:

I love, wish well to, take pleasure in, long for; denotes the love of reason, esteem.

Thats same word is translated beloved as it refers to Gods Elect Col 3:12

Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;

Again prior to 2 Thess,in 1 Thess 1:4

Knowing, brethren beloved, your election of God.

People, we dont even have a biblical right to call someone brother in Christ if we reject the doctrine of Election !

But here's an OT reference that proves, gives evidence that election by God is founded upon His Love Deut 7:7-8a

The Lord did not set his love upon you, nor choose you, because ye were more in number than any people; for ye were the fewest of all people:

8 But because the Lord loved you, and because he would keep the oath which he had sworn unto your fathers, hath the Lord brought you out with a mighty hand, and redeemed you out of the house of bondmen, from the hand of Pharaoh king of Egypt.

Amen. This leads me to believe that the World God so Loved in Jn 3:16 cannot be none other than the World of His Chosen Elect !

TomFL

Now you have amnesia and denial. Its all good, but its hypocritical
Where is your evidence ?

I did I search on Gill and nothing showed up in my posts but back in Oct and I stated if what Gill or Calvin stated lines up with the word of God their Calvinism is meaningless to me

You appear to be in error

Last edited:

brightfame52

Where is your evidence ?

I did I search on Gill and nothing showed up in my posts but back in Oct and I stated if what Gill or Calvin stated lines up with the word of God their Calvinism is meaningless to me

You appear to be in error
You have amnesia, convient

brightfame52

Appointed to Salvation !

Some people have been appointed to Salvation, in correspondence to some have been appointed to wrath. 1 Thess 5:9

For God hath not appointed us[the elect See 1:4] to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,

The word appointed here, the greek word tithēmi and means:

To destine, to decree !

The Chosen, opposite to the non elect have not been decreed, or destined to wrath, but to destined, decreed to obtain Salvation by dia, on account of, Jesus Christ our Lord !

TomFL

Appointed to Salvation !

Some people have been appointed to Salvation, in correspondence to some have been appointed to wrath. 1 Thess 5:9

For God hath not appointed us[the elect See 1:4] to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,

The word appointed here, the greek word tithēmi and means:

To destine, to decree !

The Chosen, opposite to the non elect have not been decreed, or destined to wrath, but to destined, decreed to obtain Salvation by dia, on account of, Jesus Christ our Lord !
TSK TSK you did it again

There is not a word in the passage about unconditional election

That is a promise to the church believers

TomFL

You are being told the truth!
Not by you

There is not ac word in that verse about uncondirional election

and it is not even talking about one initial salvation but the final eschatological salvation when Christ comes

That is a promise to all in the body of Christ

brightfame52

Not by you

There is not ac word in that verse about uncondirional election

and it is not even talking about one initial salvation but the final eschatological salvation when Christ comes

There's no other way to Salvation other than having been Chosen to it. It's the narrow way

TomFL

There's no other way to Salvation other than having been Chosen to it. It's the narrow way
Once again

There is not a word in that verse about uncondirional election

and it is not even talking about ones initial salvation but the final eschatological salvation when Christ returns

Will you deal with it

brightfame52

Once again

and it is not even talking about ones initial salvation but the final eschatological salvation when Christ returns

Will you deal with it
Thats why Jesus called the road to Salvation the narrow way, few are chosen, compared to the multitudes not chosen and are appointed to destruction on the broad way !

TomFL

Thats why Jesus called the road to Salvation the narrow way, few are chosen, compared to the multitudes not chosen and are appointed to destruction on the broad way !
You did not address the objection

Will you deal with it

brightfame52

You did not address the objection

Will you deal with it
You still dont believe men are chosen to Salvation ?