Christ Paid the Ransom

NewmaninX

To whom did Christ pay the ransom? God needed no payment for it was not God that needed to be reconciled to man. I would suggest that if anything was "paid" it was to Satan, but not that anything needed to be paid, since Satan was not in any position to demand anything from God. God certainly didn't need to rescue any of us, but in His great mercy, He defeated Satan by playing his little game.
Satan wanted payment in the form of blood, as was seen through the pagan gods. The more of mankind he could capture, the more he could feed his insatiable bloodlust. What more enticing offer than an opportunity to get the Blood of Christ? If only Satan knew that the Blood of Christ would be too hot to handle and that it would certainly destroy him and his entire kingdom. For a moment he thought he had won, but in a sudden blaze of Holy Glory, God rose from the dead, put the Tyrant under His boot, and set all the captives free.

Gary Mac

To whom did Christ pay the ransom? God needed no payment for it was not God that needed to be reconciled to man. I would suggest that if anything was "paid" it was to Satan, but not that anything needed to be paid, since Satan was not in any position to demand anything from God. God certainly didn't need to rescue any of us, but in His great mercy, He defeated Satan by playing his little game.
Satan wanted payment in the form of blood, as was seen through the pagan gods. The more of mankind he could capture, the more he could feed his insatiable bloodlust. What more enticing offer than an opportunity to get the Blood of Christ? If only Satan knew that the Blood of Christ would be too hot to handle and that it would certainly destroy him and his entire kingdom. For a moment he thought he had won, but in a sudden blaze of Holy Glory, God rose from the dead, put the Tyrant under His boot, and set all the captives free.
If people would only come to realize that Christ means Gods anointed, Christ in you is Gods anointing in you, then all of the stories in the book would come realization in ones self. m Jesus died, Christ always has been with man from Adam down he was the first to be anointed of God to know this difference. Abraham, Moses, Jesus received this anointing in Matt 3:16, 120 did in an upper room and so do all today who breaks away from our main stream religious doctrines and actually walk as He walks in His anointing, perfect even as your Father in heaven is perfect.

Want Christ to come? The best place to look is in a mirror and either he is there or he is not. Christ is not a person, Christ is the disposition of the person who is anointed of God. Most act as if Christ was Jesus last name.

Algernon

In Luke 4 at the beginning of the ministry of Jesus, Jesus declares that one of the purposes for which He was anointed was to "proclaim release to the captives" and to "set free those who are oppressed". Jesus was anointed to FREE the captives and those who are oppressed.

Jesus later provided details about what this entails in the following:
John 8
"34Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin."
" 31 ...If you abide in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; 32and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.”
"36So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed. "
" 35The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son does remain forever.
51Truly, truly, I say to you, if anyone keeps My word he will never see death.”

Those who abide in His word are made FREE from the slavery of committing sin. The gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry is consistent about this.

Matthew 20:26-28 is consistent with this.

Matthew 20
26“It is not this way among you, but whoever wishes to become great among you shall be your servant, 27and whoever wishes to be first among you shall be your slave; 28just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.”

The word translated as "ransom" literally means "the purchasing money for manumitting slaves". Jesus is speaking of FREEing many from the slavery of committing sin.

In Matthew 20:26-28 and elsewhere Jesus touches on His call to His followers to serve others by giving (dedicating) their lives to FREEing others from slavery just as He did.

This is the giving of ones life for "ransom".

NewmaninX

If people would only come to realize that Christ means Gods anointed, Christ in you is Gods anointing in you, then all of the stories in the book would come realization in ones self. m Jesus died, Christ always has been with man from Adam down he was the first to be anointed of God to know this difference. Abraham, Moses, Jesus received this anointing in Matt 3:16, 120 did in an upper room and so do all today who breaks away from our main stream religious doctrines and actually walk as He walks in His anointing, perfect even as your Father in heaven is perfect.

Want Christ to come? The best place to look is in a mirror and either he is there or he is not. Christ is not a person, Christ is the disposition of the person who is anointed of God. Most act as if Christ was Jesus last name.

So you deny the Virgin birth then? That Jesus Christ is God Incarnate? That He is the Word made flesh, the Logos, who existed with the Father and the Holy Spirit from eternity? Christ is just a "mask" or "mode" of existence that God wears for a particular time? From what I can tell, you've got at least a handful of heresies running through your comment. It sounds like you are listening to a lot of Joel Osteen, self-help, false gospel.

In Luke 4 at the beginning of the ministry of Jesus, Jesus declares that one of the purposes for which He was anointed was to "proclaim release to the captives" and to "set free those who are oppressed". Jesus was anointed to FREE the captives and those who are oppressed.

Jesus later provided details about what this entails in the following:
John 8
"34Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin."
" 31 ...If you abide in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; 32and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.”
" 35The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son does remain forever.

Those who abide in His word are made FREE from the slavery of committing sin. The gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry is consistent about this.

Matthew 20:26-28 is consistent with this.

Matthew 20
26“It is not this way among you, but whoever wishes to become great among you shall be your servant, 27and whoever wishes to be first among you shall be your slave; 28just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.”

The word translated as "ransom" literally means "the purchasing money for manumitting slaves". Jesus is speaking of FREEing many from the slavery of committing sin.

In Matthew 20:26-28 and elsewhere Jesus touches on His call to His followers to serve others by giving (dedicating) their lives to FREEing others from slavery just as He did.

This is the giving of ones life for "ransom".

So Christ is simply a moral example and you have never committed any sin since you "got saved"?

Woody50

To whom did Christ pay the ransom? God needed no payment
I wonder if you understand the Gospel at all.

I wonder if you understand the Glory of God. Yes. Payment was needed. Demanded.

Satan is a puppy dog, created by God, dude. He cannot demand anything of God.

God is Holy. You don't understand that. Perfect. Righteous. Nobody can be with him who is not also Holy. That goes for us--and you.

To enter into His perfect, holy presence, we need to be holy. Perfect. Satan CERTAINLY doesn't require this. Only the Father does.

So go, and be perfect--ooops! Impossible. THAT is where Jesus comes in. Perfect. Holy. Acceptable. Sacrificed to the Father so we, who believe in HIm, may be clothed in Him and accepted with the righteousness He imputes to those who are His.

Satan can demand nothing--not even a nose wipe.

The Father is the one who demands perfection and gave His only Son so that we can truly fellowship with God.

You don't understand this, because you don't understand God. You belittle his holiness, his perfection, his worthiness.

Why? Because you make too much of yourself, of your imperfection, of your complete lack of value without Him.

Deep thoughts...better than Jack Handy.

Gary Mac

So you deny the Virgin birth then?
Oh no every single person ever born is virgin to Gods SPirit until He comes and plants His seed in you. He did it in Jesus inj Matt 3:16. Jesus didnt know God oir His SPirit at all until Gid came to him and opend all of Himself in him just as He does all who recieves the same from God. You were not born with His SPirit, not even Jesus was. Truth is in Matt 3:16. Adam, Moses, Abraham, Mary, 120 all were virgin to God Spirit until he came to them just as He did in Jesus and we are no different at all.
That Jesus Christ is God Incarnate?
Yes God came to Jesus from the outward inward, see Matt 3:16, this is what it is to be incarnate. SO ware we all who He is come to from the outward inward.
That He is the Word made flesh, the Logos, who existed with the Father and the Holy Spirit from eternity?
Yes and everyone who receives from God that what Jesus received from Him are His word made flesh our flesh we are the temple of God and out from us flows these rivers of living waters. I take it by your comment that His word is not in you?
Christ is just a "mask" or "mode" of existence that God wears for a particular time?
Christ is Gods anointed one and either Christ be in you to be anointed of God or you are not.
From what I can tell, you've got at least a handful of heresies running through your comment.
Yes the same heresies Jesus was accused of and we have the same Father who is God. Evidently you do not have the same one who was in Jesus?
It sounds like you are listening to a lot of Joel Osteen, self-help, false gospel.
Dont know anything about Joel Osteen. I do not follow the ways of mans doctrine. What I do know is what Jesus said we should be like him, and will be like him if we come to the same place in the Father he was at in Him. He in you and you in Him as one as Jesus prayed to his God for you to be in John 17. Perfect even as my Father oin heaven is perfect as Jesus commanded of you and I, I only took him at his word. You seem to have a problem with his word to be perfect as He is?
So Christ is simply a moral example and you have never committed any sin since you "got saved"?
Christ is not an example at all, Christ is Gods anointing in all who has received from God His same Spirit. Jesus was the example for what it is to be in Christ, anointed of God.

You cant be of Christ at all without that anointing yourself. Not even Jesus could have passed Gods anointing if he was to be Gods son, nor can you or anyone else be Gods son without that anointing, Which is Christ in you, or is supposed to be in you. But seems you have a real problem being Gods anointed by His Spirit though.

Stephen

If he paid it to a "who", it was paid to you. You will have to go into the laws of redemption in (Leviticus 25:47-55) to discern who or what got paid when you were redeemed. Paul tells you what the ransom did in Romans 6. Christ as your kinsman redeemer freed you from slavery to sin to serve your new master, the living God.

15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under the law but under grace? By no means! 16 Don’t you know that when you offer yourselves to someone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one you obey—whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness? 17 But thanks be to God that, though you used to be slaves to sin, you have come to obey from your heart the pattern of teaching that has now claimed your allegiance. 18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.
When God redeemed the children of Israel from slavery to Egypt, who did he pay?

Algernon

You should ask yourself some questions about what the words spoken by Jesus quoted below actually say.

John 8

Who is a slave? A: Everyone who commits sin.
Who are Jesus' true disciples? A: Those who abide in Jesus' word.
Who is made free from being a slave to committing sin? A: Those who abide in Jesus' word.
Who will "remain in the house forever" and "never see death"? A: Those who abide in Jesus' word, i.e., keep Jesus' word -
those who have been made free from being a slave to committing sin.

Clearly, according to Jesus ,those who commit sin remain slaves and therefore are NOT true disciples and do NOT "remain in the house forever". Furthermore only those who do not commit sin are "sons", are true disciples, "remain in the house forever" and will never "see death".

It's as if you don't believe Jesus' words. Why don't you believe Jesus' words?

Redeemed

You should ask yourself some questions about what the words spoken by Jesus quoted below actually say.

John 8

Who is made free from being a slave to committing sin? A: Those who abide in Jesus' word.
Who will "remain in the house forever" and "never see death"? A: Those who abide in Jesus' word, i.e., keep Jesus' word -

Clearly, according to Jesus ,those who commit sin remain slaves and therefore are NOT true disciples and do NOT "remain in the house forever". Furthermore only those who do not commit sin are "sons", are true disciples, "remain in the house forever" and will never "see death".

It's as if you believe everyone is supposed to think like you. That's unrealistic especially when it comes to the Bible. I can't speak for NewmaninX but I most certainly do believe the words of Jesus. I just don't believe what you're trying to sell. Try studying out sanctification maybe that'll help. And I'm saying this with all gentleness and love.

NewmaninX

I wonder if you understand the Gospel at all.

I wonder if you understand the Glory of God. Yes. Payment was needed. Demanded.

Satan is a puppy dog, created by God, dude. He cannot demand anything of God.

God is Holy. You don't understand that. Perfect. Righteous. Nobody can be with him who is not also Holy. That goes for us--and you.

To enter into His perfect, holy presence, we need to be holy. Perfect. Satan CERTAINLY doesn't require this. Only the Father does.

So go, and be perfect--ooops! Impossible. THAT is where Jesus comes in. Perfect. Holy. Acceptable. Sacrificed to the Father so we, who believe in HIm, may be clothed in Him and accepted with the righteousness He imputes to those who are His.

Satan can demand nothing--not even a nose wipe.

The Father is the one who demands perfection and gave His only Son so that we can truly fellowship with God.

You don't understand this, because you don't understand God. You belittle his holiness, his perfection, his worthiness.

Why? Because you make too much of yourself, of your imperfection, of your complete lack of value without Him.

Deep thoughts...better than Jack Handy.
It seems like you read the first 10 words and didn't pay attention to the rest of it. Then immediately judged my entire character and faith without asking any further questions. How arrogant.

NewmaninX

John 8

I believe Jesus' words, just not what you seem to be suggesting. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems like you accuse me of being an unrepentant sinner while you yourself never commit any sin because you've been "freed."
Yes, Christ set the captives free from slavery to sin. And what I am saying is He did it simply by conquering the Devil and the power of sin and death.
BUT, we still sin because we still have to fight against the passions of the flesh. We don't automatically become perfect when we first start to follow Christ. That is the beginning of the journey, not the end. We still have sin in our lives and we need to kill it and root it out.

Algernon

Maybe I am wrong, but it seems like you accuse me of being an unrepentant sinner while you yourself never commit any sin because you've been "freed."
Never said anything of the kind. You've read things into what I wrote that I never said.

If you believe I did, then by all means quote me from my posts on this thread and walk me through it.

I believe Jesus' words, just not what you seem to be suggesting...
Yes, Christ set the captives free from slavery to sin. And what I am saying is He did it simply by conquering the Devil and the power of sin and death.
BUT, we still sin because we still have to fight against the passions of the flesh. We don't automatically become perfect when we first start to follow Christ. That is the beginning of the journey, not the end. We still have sin in our lives and we need to kill it and root it out.
Jesus didn't say anything of the kind in John 8. You've read things into what He said that He never said.

If you believe that He did, then by all means quote Jesus from John 8 and walk me through it.

Woody50

It seems like you read the first 10 words and didn't pay attention to the rest of it. Then immediately judged my entire character and faith without asking any further questions. How arrogant.
Forgive me. You're totally right.

Please help me understand, if you don't mind. I can repost a better response, if that helps.

ReverendRV

The Golgatha Purchase ~ by ReverendRV

2nd Peter 2:1 KJV; But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

I’ve recently been debating with an Atheist who uses Slavery as a reason to not believe in the God of the Bible. I told him about the Voluntary Servitude the Bible endorses, but he insists on debating about God endorsing Involuntary Servitude; citing Leviticus 25. I said, “I see what you are saying; you're drawing a distinction between the acceptable Servitude of a Jew to a Jew, and the unacceptable Slavery of Gentiles to a Jew. May I suggest that these verses are a Type for the New Testament; If Israel were not permitted to buy people, then Peter couldn’t have said Jesus bought the Heretics.” The Lord Jesus Christ couldn’t have Purchased the World if it were not legal for Jews to purchase Gentiles and be their Sovereign…

If it were illegal for Jews to own Slaves, the Jewish Jesus Christ would not have been able to buy the World from Satan, who gained Dominion from Adam through the Fall. It is like the Louisiana Purchase; Dominion over the Land and the People was purchased. ~ But you Object, “What’s all this Slavery guff? I’ve never been a Slave”. When you Sin, you’re a Slave to Sin and Satan; have you ever told a Lie? What do YOU call people who Lie to you? If you’ve ever found yourself compelled to tell a Lie and you couldn’t help yourself, you are a Slave to Sin and Satan; or you were. You’re still a Slave to Sin but now you are Christ’s Slave as he paid for his Kingdom with his Blood. Your Lies used to deliver you out of trouble but now that you have a new Master, they bring you under his Judgment. As God Incarnate, the Son of God owns you; but through the 'Golgatha Purchase', the Man Jesus Christ bought all of Humanity. ~ If the Bible is true, then you are the Slave of Christ; awaiting either swift destruction; or Forgiveness of Sin...

Forgiveness of Sins is found only in one Name under heaven. ~ For God so loved the World he gave us his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in him shall not swiftly perish but have everlasting Life. Jesus Christ bore the Sin of the world while dying on a Cross, to pay the Death Penalty God requires for our Trespasses and Sins; but he arose from the Grave to prepare a place for us in Heaven to be with him. We’re Saved by the Gracious Forgiveness of God, through Faith in Jesus Christ and what he’s done for us, instead of anything we could ever do for ourselves. Repent of your Sins, Confess Jesus Christ are your Lord God, and become his Voluntary Servant at a Bible loving Church. ~ Sinners are Involuntary Servants of Jesus Christ, as they choose their Sin over their Righteous Master; remaining Voluntary Slaves of Sin…

1st Corinthians 7:22-23; KJV; For the one who was a slave when called to faith in the Lord is the Lord's freed person; similarly, the one who was free when called is Christ's slave. You were bought at a price; do not become slaves of human beings.

Gary Mac

It's as if you believe everyone is supposed to think like you. That's unrealistic especially when it comes to the Bible. I can't speak for NewmaninX but I most certainly do believe the words of Jesus. I just don't believe what you're trying to sell. Try studying out sanctification maybe that'll help. And I'm saying this with all gentleness and love.
looks to me you are supposed to believe as Jesus did by his quote of Jesus. And as you say in your post you do not believe what jesus was trying to sell. Try studying the intent of Jesus Christ to be ye therefore perfect even as your Father in heaven is perfect. Is your Father of sin?

Algernon

looks to me you are supposed to believe as Jesus did by his quote of Jesus. And as you say in your post you do not believe what jesus was trying to sell. Try studying the intent of Jesus Christ to be ye therefore perfect even as your Father in heaven is perfect. Is your Father of sin?
Many do not hear, understand or believe the words spoken by Jesus while He preached His gospel.

John 8
43“Why do you not understand what I am saying? It is because you cannot hear My word. 44“You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies. 45“But because I speak the truth, you do not believe Me. 46“Which one of you convicts Me of sin? If I speak truth, why do you not believe Me? 47“He who is of God hears the words of God; for this reason you do not hear them, because you are not of God.”

Gary Mac

Many do not hear, understand or believe the words spoken by Jesus while He preached His gospel.

John 8
43“Why do you not understand what I am saying? It is because you cannot hear My word. 44“You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies. 45“But because I speak the truth, you do not believe Me. 46“Which one of you convicts Me of sin? If I speak truth, why do you not believe Me? 47“He who is of God hears the words of God; for this reason you do not hear them, because you are not of God.”
Few who do and is like his father that he tries to lead people to have in them the same as he had from God. They say they follow the way of Jesus then flat out deny him to be like him in the Father.

Tercon

“God needed no payment for it was not God that needed to be reconciled to man”, because man needed to be reconciled to God instead. And “Satan was not in any position to demand anything from God” or man. But Satan needs man to be deceived by him so he can destroy man. And God certainly did need to rescue us, because His great mercy and character demanded He do so.
Satan cannot destroy anyone, he can only destroy us if and only if we allow him to. Satan is the father of lies, he has nothing only lies and deceive to work for him, because the truth and reality is the domain of God and His Kingdom. And no lies and deceit can exist in God's Kingdom.

Gary Mac

“God needed no payment for it was not God that needed to be reconciled to man”, because man needed to be reconciled to God instead. And “Satan was not in any position to demand anything from God” or man. But Satan needs man to be deceived by him so he can destroy man. And God certainly did need to rescue us, because His great mercy and character demanded He do so.

Satan cannot destroy anyone, he can only destroy us if and only if we allow him to. Satan is the father of lies, he has nothing only lies and deceive to work for him, because the truth and reality is the domain of God and His Kingdom. And no lies and deceit can exist in God's Kingdom.
True -- Religious minds manufacture beliefs. The image they form as God as a man or Satan as a man is a figment of imagination with no reality only speculation about a heaven or hell, heaven being beautiful and hell as a lake of fire

Jesus was very clear the kingdom of God doesnt come with observation but is within you, Luke 17:20-21. Gods kingdom is Spirit and it isnt a place we go to it is the disposition of whether it be heaven or hell.