Christian Evidences

Hi guys. I'm new here. I came to the Apologetics thread looking for discussions on Christian Evidences (like Creation vs. Evolution and that sort of thing) but didn't find any topics on that. I hope I'm not missing something here.

I was just wondering what y'all had on those kinds of topics. Young Earth vs Old Earth? Special Creation vs Evolution? Theistic Evolution vs. a literal interpretation of Genesis 1-11?

Anyway, thanks for your input! I look forward to reading your thoughts. :)

travelah

Hi guys. I'm new here. I came to the Apologetics thread looking for discussions on Christian Evidences (like Creation vs. Evolution and that sort of thing) but didn't find any topics on that. I hope I'm not missing something here.

I was just wondering what y'all had on those kinds of topics. Young Earth vs Old Earth? Special Creation vs Evolution? Theistic Evolution vs. a literal interpretation of Genesis 1-11?

Why don't you pick your favorite and start a thread explaining your position?

En Hakkore

Hi guys. I'm new here.
Welcome to CARM... hope you enjoy your stay.

You might get more traction with these topics over on the astronomy and evolution/intelligent design forums. I'm not a geologist or evolutionary biologist so have little to contribute on the scientific aspects beyond that of an educated layperson. Interpretation of the biblical texts, however, is something I may know a little bit more about. Unfortunately, the last time someone raised a Genesis-related topic on this particular forum, it didn't really take off. It was a question on the genre of the book's opening chapters and my response can be found here --- I touch briefly on the matter of ancient Israelite authors/compilers understanding their own work as providing a literal account of the world's creation, which in turn would be a factor to consider in your third topic of discussion (as well as the other two to some extent).

Kind regards,
Jonathan

Welcome to CARM... hope you enjoy your stay.

You might get more traction with these topics over on the astronomy and evolution/intelligent design forums. I'm not a geologist or evolutionary biologist so have little to contribute on the scientific aspects beyond that of an educated layperson. Interpretation of the biblical texts, however, is something I may know a little bit more about. Unfortunately, the last time someone raised a Genesis-related topic on this particular forum, it didn't really take off. It was a question on the genre of the book's opening chapters and my response can be found here --- I touch briefly on the matter of ancient Israelite authors/compilers understanding their own work as providing a literal account of the world's creation, which in turn would be a factor to consider in your third topic of discussion (as well as the other two to some extent).

Kind regards,
Jonathan
Thanks, Jonathan. I'm starting to see that. :)

En Hakkore

Thanks, Jonathan. I'm starting to see that. :)
What are your positions on the three topics you raised? Perhaps if there is an area where our interests overlap, we could start a thread for discussion on the appropriate forum as I see your forays there into an existing thread did not seem to produce fruitful dialogue...

Kind regards,
Jonathan

What are your positions on the three topics you raised? Perhaps if there is an area where our interests overlap, we could start a thread for discussion on the appropriate forum as I see your forays there into an existing thread did not seem to produce fruitful dialogue...

Kind regards,
Jonathan
I am a Young Earth Creationists (and a high school Physics teacher, so that's fun!). I believe in Special Creation not Theistic Evolution and I believe in a literal interpretation of Genesis 1-11.

En Hakkore

I am a Young Earth Creationists (and a high school Physics teacher, so that's fun!). I believe in Special Creation not Theistic Evolution and I believe in a literal interpretation of Genesis 1-11.
Thanks... I'm not sure where we might engage each other. As I noted previously, I'm a layperson when it comes to the sciences (my degrees are in theology and biblical studies), so I wouldn't be able to contribute much to challenging the idea of a "young earth" or "special creation", neither of which I believe in and, more importantly, neither debate I have much interest in... I'm far more interested in where we are now and where we are going than where we came from. As for a literal interpretation of Genesis 1-11, my position is that its authors/compilers intended their stories to be interpreted literally and to read them otherwise would be to misinterpret them. On this we would probably agree, but perhaps an area for dialogue would be on how you reconcile what I perceive to be tensions between the Gen 1:1-2:3 creation account and well-established physical properties of the earth, solar system and universe. Thoughts?

Kind regards,
Jonathan

Harry Leggs

Young Earth is addressed indirectly on here from time to time. I luv engaging old Earthers from Scripture. Overall, there is not a lot of brilliance here IMO. The latest i found is here where GeneZ brings it up out of the blue. My #19.

Gary Mac

How do you know you're right?
Same way Jesus knew he was right, same Spirit in me who was in Christ Jesus. It is by identification with the same Jesus spoke of God be in him. He in the Father and the Father in him as one, John 17, and be ye one in the Father as he was one in Him. It is by identification with the same. There is no other way to know the truth least God opens it to you just as He did in Jesus.

Ignatius

Same way Jesus knew he was right, same Spirit in me who was in Christ Jesus. It is by identification with the same Jesus spoke of God be in him. He in the Father and the Father in him as one, John 17, and be ye one in the Father as he was one in Him. It is by identification with the same. There is no other way to know the truth least God opens it to you just as He did in Jesus.
Jesus is God. Do you think you are God? How do you know it's the "same spirit"? Just saying it does it make it so. The Pharasees thought they were the cats meow

Gary Mac

Jesus is God. Do you think you are God? How do you know it's the "same spirit"? Just saying it does it make it so. The Pharasees thought they were the cats meow
No Jesus was not God. God came to Jesus by His Spirit and opened all of His heaven to Jesus Who made Jesus who he was in the Father. Same one who came to me and did the same. He will come to you as well if you will set aside your religious beliefs and obey and accept Him as Jesus did. Many think they are the cats meow from religious minds. who cant be like Him as God demands of us.