Christian inconsistancy about the Law

shnarkle

The "why" is obvious. it is not a sin for non-Jews to not keep the sabbath. It is not sin for you.
I'm not a legalist like you, but it's still a sin to profane the Sabbath for anyone who can see how much it benefits them.
These are religious groups. I asked for tribes and nations.
More legalistic thinking. There is no real difference. You're just coming up with pointless labels.
If it is the default position, we should see the sabbath widely observed in a multitude of cultures over the earth, and we do NOT.
We do see the term widely used all over the world though. Just because people lose sight of the origins of theses terms, it doesn't then follow that they never knew, or observed the Sabbath.
Sure. And they are doing something unecessary.
It's necessary for them just like it is for you.
There is nothing particularly wrong about taking a day off work -- I think it is a healthy thing actually. But it is not obligatory for non-Jews.
You make it sound like a chore. That's the real difference. For you it's work.

American Gothic

Elect Gentiles grafted into the root promises
Hello my bredren in Messiah, grace and peace to you and our LJC

in this Gentiles are "brought near" to the commonwealth of Israel and benefit from her Spiritual promises/blessings
they don't become Israel
Gentiles would become spiritual Gentiles, not some sort of spiritual Jews, as some say.

Last edited:

shnarkle

The only evidence I've ever given in my posts is in my claims that I do have a conservative level of observance of teh 613. So you are wrong, the little that I do say about that matter in my private life proves you wrong.
I'm not referring to your private life. You're wrong. You're presenting an argument I'm not making. Strawman much?
Shnarkle, this whole subthread is against the rules. You are not supposed to be attacking me personally. Please respond to the arguments that I make regarding theology. Do not make this personal. I give you the same consideration. Thanks for underststanding.
My bad.

Go with God.

Be blessed.

American Gothic

"There is no Jew or gentile..." Gal. 3:28
how about male or female? is the Church non-gender? why the once discussion about women and head coverings?
do slave owners just automatically release their slaves when they become Christian?

there is something else being said here, dude

Last edited:

Rachel Redux

Keeping the sabbath is not meant for the whole world.

Deut 5
12 “Observe the Sabbath day by keeping it holy, as the Lord your God has commanded you. 13 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 14 but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your ox, your donkey or any of your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns, so that your male and female servants may rest, as you do. 15 Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the Lord your God brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore the Lord your God has commanded you to observe the Sabbath day.

Your ancestors were never delivered from slavery in Egypt, thus you are exempt.
Egypt symbolizes sin. Yes, all believers were "brought out of Egypt (sin and its penalty) with a mighty hand." All God fearing people are required to observe the Sabbath. There is no new Sabbath day or change for Christians, either, as some claim.

Last edited:

American Gothic

Egypt symbolizes sin. Yes, all believers were "brought out of Egypt (sin and its penalty) with a mighty hand. All God fearing people are required to observe the Sabbath. There is no new Sabbath day or change for Christians, either, as some claim.
"Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day"

Hey Rachel, was your knew handle inspired by this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocalypse_Now_Redux
every time I see you now I think of helicopters and firefights in the jungle and stuff
it's cool if so :)

Rachel Redux

"Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day"
I reject that teaching, or at least your understanding of it.
Hey Rachel, was your knew handle inspired by this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocalypse_Now_Redux
every time I see you now I think of helicopters and firefights in the jungle and stuff
it's cool if so :)
No, I've just been Rachel Rachel under old versions of this forum. I was running out of choices for names.

Iconoclast

Hello my bredren in Messiah, grace and peace to you and our LJC

in this Gentiles are "brought near" to the commonwealth of Israel and benefit from her Spiritual promises/blessings
they don't become Israel
Gentiles would become spiritual Gentiles, not some sort of spiritual Jews, as some say.
but they indeed do of necessity.
Jesus is the True Israel, and us in Him
He is the head, we are the body.

American Gothic

but they indeed do of necessity.
Jesus is the True Israel, and us in Him
He is the head, we are the body.
mmmm, Israel is the true Israel

there's Gentiles, Jews (Israel), and then there are
Jews and Gentiles in Jesus, who are New creations

Christians are inconsistent on this issue as well

Jewjitzu

this should be here

Jesus and Paul were teaching different covenants, to different audiences
I'd have to disagree since Paul made stops in every town and spoke to the Jews first trying to change our opinions. Even the new covenant in Jeremiah 31:31-34 is based on the same laws but different writing surface, ie, hearts and minds as opposed to stone.

many Christians think everything Jesus said was aimed directly at them
Well, he did say he came to the lost house of Israel, so his mission wasn't to the gentiles.

Jesus wasn't teaching Christians, Paul was teaching believers in Jesus
But Paul was trying to convince Jews. To believe the Jewish Messiah came and not try to convince the Jews of this would make zero sense.

Open Heart

Egypt symbolizes sin. Yes, all believers were "brought out of Egypt (sin and its penalty) with a mighty hand." All God fearing people are required to observe the Sabbath. There is no new Sabbath day or change for Christians, either, as some claim.
Egypt doesn't symolize ANYTHING. Egypt was a real civiliazation governed by pharaohs. Let's not get silly about this.

And you know very well that SDA's are one denomination among a gazillion that disagree with you.

Open Heart

I'm not referring to your private life. You're wrong. You're presenting an argument I'm not making. Strawman much?

My bad.

Go with God.

Be blessed.
If you aren't looking at my life, then you have no argument. You cannot tell if a person is serving God by words in a forum. You have to know whether they are obeying his commands. And that part is real life, not a chatroom.

But again, this discusses ME rather than the points I have made, which is not what this chatroom is about.

Open Heart

I'm not a legalist like you, but it's still a sin to profane the Sabbath for anyone who can see how much it benefits them.
If a legalist is someone who obeys God's laws, then I'm happy to be a legalist.

I have not profaned the sabbath, so why do you mention such a thing?

Open Heart

Yes they are. You can invent so called Noahic laws, but that teaching is defective.
All men everywhere, rain Forrest, north pole,all under law.
nope. As I quoted from Deuteronomy, resting on the sabbath is because God delivered the Jewish people from Egypt. Your ancestors were not delivered, thus it makes no sense for you to keep the sabbath.

American Gothic

I'd have to disagree since Paul made stops in every town and spoke to the Jews first
I agree, NT wise it looks like Paul tried to share the gospel with everyone he could,
but he said the message was to Jews first.
Then he would go to the Gentiles, when he wasn't making tents and getting beat up and whatnot.
Well, he did say he came to the lost house of Israel, so his mission wasn't to the gentiles.
you'd think Christians would get that
in the NT narrative Jesus did at times engage with some non Jews
but that was not his focus
Paul was trying to convince Jews. To believe (as he did)
your point that he preached to non-Christians is true
but his teaching for Believers is aimed at Christians
I'd see a difference between two.
Jesus was teaching Jews to pursue the righteousness of the Law that they were supposed to

My view is that James, John, and Paul were all dealing with different audiences of Christians
possibly tailoring their message accordingly and even maybe at times had differing views on some things.
two Christians, 2 and 1/3 opinions (sic) :)

Last edited: