Christians - what do you say to people of other faiths?

What do Christians say when someone claims that Allah or Lord Shiva is the true God?

It occurs to me that this is similar to what atheists see. When a Christian says, "God is real" we atheists have questions, reaction, etc. I would think these are similar to when a Christian is told that another god is real. So it might help bridge the gap if Christians can see what we see.

So if your Hindu friend says that Lord Brahma is real and created the universe, what do you say? Do you ask for proof? Do you just accept it on faith? How do you respond? What would make you believe that they are right or wrong?

Yakuda

What do Christians say when someone claims that Allah or Lord Shiva is the true God?

It occurs to me that this is similar to what atheists see. When a Christian says, "God is real" we atheists have questions, reaction, etc. I would think these are similar to when a Christian is told that another god is real. So it might help bridge the gap if Christians can see what we see.

So if your Hindu friend says that Lord Brahma is real and created the universe, what do you say? Do you ask for proof? Do you just accept it on faith? How do you respond? What would make you believe that they are right or wrong?
I say good but not how I see it. What I would do is focus on is what we have in common. What does a christian have in common with an atheist?

docphin5

So if your Hindu friend says that Lord Brahma is real and created the universe, what do you say?
I would say, Please, tell me more. After all, it is not the name that matters, for a name is a symbol for something else. What matters is what is actually being represented by the name.
Do you ask for proof? Do you just accept it on faith? How do you respond? What would make you believe that they are right or wrong?
I would do what I did with my own faith. Critically analyze it to see what truth may be found in it. Then refine my beliefs if needed.

coincidentally, I just finished watching Ghandi. What a great movie!

Whateverman

coincidentally, I just finished watching Ghandi. What a great movie!
With Ben Kingsly? I remember being pleasantly surprised when it first came out, and then I watched it again with the last few years - and was pleasantly surprised again.

Furion

I say nothing, and I have many hindi's I deal with on a daily basis, along with some muslims and a spattering of atheists.

Oh they try on occasion, but it is not to be.

Atheists are the easiest, they just want to argue over their inner turmoil.

A close hindi friend just lost his guru a year or so ago, he was devastated and I did listen to him about it. In fact he talks of sin and righteousness, God and love, more than I could ever dream.

So I let people vent, but I don't usually engage them at all.

docphin5

With Ben Kingsly? I remember being pleasantly surprised when it first came out, and then I watched it again with the last few years - and was pleasantly surprised again.
Yeah, the movie with Kingsley. Since Ghandi was an important Hindu representing the ideal who wouldnt be interested in his perspective of God, Lord Brahma, or whatever they call it.

Whateverman

Who says it would not make sense to a Hindu or Muslim mentioned in the OP?
I explained why.

Because Brahma (eg) doesn't need to sacrifice his son to himself in order to save you from your sins. Neither does Allah. So why would such a requirement make any sense to a Hindu or a Muslim?

CrowCross

I explained why.

Because Brahma (eg) doesn't need to sacrifice his son to himself in order to save you from your sins. Neither does Allah. So why would such a requirement make any sense to a Hindu or a Muslim?
I would say..

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,

5wize

I would say..

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,
But Jesus didn't say that to them. Jesus said it to a small group of friends, and that is questionable at best because even scholars do not trust the veracity of the book of John against the synoptics as an accurate assessment of anything Jesus said. John was written long after the synoptics because it was thought the synoptics weren't a strong enough supernatural statement to capture the interest of such a supernaturally inclined tribe of 1st century nomads that were already into all kinds of crazy mind enthralling superstitions. The synoptics, a story of just another crazed wild eyed 1st century dime a dozen prophet, were not grabbing the attention and could not couldn't compete with the rival sects.

CrowCross

But Jesus didn't say that to them. Jesus said it to a small group of friends, and that is questionable at best because even scholars do not trust the veracity of the book of John against the synoptics as an accurate assessment of anything Jesus said. John was written long after the synoptics because it was thought the synoptics weren't a strong enough supernatural statement to capture the interest of such a supernaturally inclined tribe of 1st century nomads that were already into all kinds of crazy mind enthralling superstitions. The synoptics, a story of just another crazed wild eyed 1st century dime a dozen prophet, were not grabbing the attention and could not couldn't compete with the rival sects.
I'd then say...I don't really care what you believe or don't believe Jesus said.