Christmas customs and meals

balshan

We are hoping that we can mix with some family over Christmas. We have had a hard lock down. Here it is summer when Christmas comes around. I have started planning because it gives me a positive focus. Last year the grandsons decided they wanted to do an Icelandic custom and give books on Christmas Eve. They loved it eating chocolates and reading books.

I think there will be church services as they have now started in small groups. I love to hear the kids laughing and playing together. The cousins playing one another. The oldest two boys bowing to their little cousins. She loves getting them to play her games.

My grand daughter will be with us Christmas Day so we do a mix Christian/Jewish. Her father loves gingerbread houses I normally buy one. I am thinking that we could make one and she and her dad could decorate it Christmas Day.

Here our meals will vary on weather sometimes it is extremely hot and others cool. So often we have meat and salads or bbques. How do you celebrate the birth of Jesus and the joy of Christmas.

Challenger007

I would like to celebrate Christmas with my family, taste your favorite treats. In the last couple of years, we have moved away from preparing traditional Christmas dishes in favor of the ones we want. But I am afraid that the rising numbers for the incidence of coronavirus may spoil plans. Therefore, we try not to plan in advance, so as not to be disappointed later. We buy gifts, of course, because they can be neatly packed and sent by mail.

balshan

I would like to celebrate Christmas with my family, taste your favorite treats. In the last couple of years, we have moved away from preparing traditional Christmas dishes in favor of the ones we want. But I am afraid that the rising numbers for the incidence of coronavirus may spoil plans. Therefore, we try not to plan in advance, so as not to be disappointed later. We buy gifts, of course, because they can be neatly packed and sent by mail.
I understand we have what they are calling double doughnut days lately. Hoping this keeps up. I am planning but know it might be changed at any minute because of covid. We are slowly coming out of lockdown. I am planning as it makes me happy to think of christmas we have had and the possibilities for this chrismas. I think we should be able to have at least one family visit in the house.

Hope you have a nice time.

balshan

A pleasant topic! And do not forget to bake some Christmas cookies!
Oh yum. Yep I was looking for positive things to plan and do. To me Christmas is a great time. A time of joy, peace, love, family and the focus on Jesus and what God has done for us.

We make gingerbread men with the grandchildren, when we decorate the house. They love decorating the biscuits.

balshan

Gingerbread men - a great idea! (y)(y)
I love having fun things to do with the grandchildren. My husband makes the dough with them. They are on stools, helping him and laughing. It is so much fun. Then they go around putting up decorations whilst the gingerbread men cook. Then it is fun icing sugar and lollies etc for decorations. Then they take leftovers home.

Rotgold

May I introduce you to a very special Christmas cookie? :)

It is well known in the South of Germany - but not in the North.

Springerle is a type of German biscuit with an embossed design made by pressing a mold onto rolled dough and allowing the impression to dry before baking. This preserves the detail of the surface pattern. While historical molds show that springerle were baked for religious holidays and secular occasions throughout the year, they are now most commonly associated with the Christmas season.[1]

The name springerle translates literally as "little jumper" or "little knight", but its exact origin is unknown. It may refer the popular motif of a jumping horse in the mold, or just to the rising or "springing up" of the dough as it bakes.[1] The origin of the cookie can be traced back to at least the 14th century in southwestern Germany and surrounding areas, mostly in Swabia.

balshan

May I introduce you to a very special Christmas cookie? :)

It is well known in the South of Germany - but not in the North.
That is interesting. I found out doing some family research that part of my mother's family tree is probably German. They came from altona area. Sometimes under German control, sometimes Danish. One surname hacke he married Winterberg/Winterbaum. Spelt both ways on documents.

Rotgold

That is interesting. I found out doing some family research that part of my mother's family tree is probably German. They came from altona area. Sometimes under German control, sometimes Danish. One surname hacke he married Winterberg/Winterbaum. Spelt both ways on documents.
Fine names! :)

Winterberg = winter mountain
Winterbaum = winter tree

You probably know :)

balshan

Fine names! :)

Winterberg = winter mountain
Winterbaum = winter tree

You probably know :)
Yes I did and I have been told they might be Jewish because of the fact they are double barrel German names. Hacke I am pretty sure is German rather than Danish because when I asked a German lady she bit my head off. As if I should know by the sound of the name what it was.

But thank you for caring to tell me.