Christmas trees

Septextura

Jeremiah 10
1 Hear ye the word which the LORD speaketh unto you, O house of Israel:
2 Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.
3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.
4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.
5 They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.

Yay or nay?

Septextura

Christmas trees are just decorations. No one is bowing down to them and worshiping them as gods. Jeremiah 10 is about making idols.

It's described a vain custom, not idolatry. Can someone enlighten me why we do it on Christ's day of birth?

Chuckz

There is a Carm article about it:​

But If you read the King James Bible in Acts 5, the translators used the word "tree" whether that was the correct definition or not:

Acts 5:30 The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree.

Other versions translate it "cross" or "tree":

According to Blueletterbible which is not a translation, it can mean "cross" or "tree" but I believe Jesus died on a cross..

Jesus compares himself to a vine and we are the branches. And there is symbolism with the tree of life in the Bible. An old testament illusion was the serpent pole:

King James Bible
And the LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live.

1 John 4:19 We love him, because he first loved us.

Jesus gave us the gift of eternal life. Ephesians 2:8 to 9 call it the gift of God. We have teaching in the bible where Jesus says to follow Him so discipleship is also following and copying the way people live. We can try to give people eternal life in the sense that we present the gospel to people but I can't make you accept. We now present gifts under a tree to people and it is beautiful imagery but in no way are we worshipping a cross or a tree.

So why do so many churches have a cross? Are we worshipping it? I don't but why do we have it?

King James Bible
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

Why do churches put an offense on their building? To those of us which are saved, it represents the power of God.

‘Abraham took the wood for the burnt offering and PLACED IT ON HIS SON Isaac, and he himself carried the fire and the knife.’ Genesis 22:6​

Isaac was the one to be sacrificed and he carried the wood for his own sacrifice, which is a picture of what Christ did, Mark 15:21. Many people point to the ‘patibulum’, the wooded crossbeam which was laid upon Jesus who was to be sacrificed.

Chuckz

We know the wise men came to give gifts and the angel Gabriel came to announce Christ's birth.
If it wasn't for these things, we might not celebrate Christmas.

Titus 2:10 Not purloining, but shewing all good fidelity; that they may adorn the doctrine of God our Saviour in all things.

How do we adorn the doctrine of God? The Bible doesn't say but Christmas is an attempt to adorn the doctrine of God.
Christmas is a vehicle to preach the gospel of Christ and to teach the Bible and about our savior and why He (Jesus) came.
It is the greatest way to present the gospel in my opinion.

Matthew 2:8 And he sent them to Bethlehem, and said, Go and search diligently for the young child; and when ye have found him, bring me word again, that I may come and worship him also.

Herod was lying because he was probably trying to imitate why the wise men were looking for Jesus. The wise men were going to worship Jesus.
The gifts were probably sold to pay for their trip back home after registering for the census.

Cynthia

I was taught the gifts of valuable items was used to arrange the flight into Egypt to escape the sword of Herod.

The trip from Nazareth to Bethlehem was a hardship on the poor Joseph and Mary, but did not require wealth. After Jesus was born in Bethlehem, Joseph and Mary traveled to Jerusalem to present the child in the temple. Then returned to Nazareth were they lived until the child was about 2 years of age. That is where the wise men found them, led by the angel-star. The wealth given them at that time financed their flight into Egypt, where they lived until Herod died. Recall that Herod commanded all children 2 years old and younger in Bethlehem be slaughtered because that is the age the wise men told him that the child had been born. The wise men found the child in Nazareth, and left to return home from there, not returning to Herod as he instructed them. If they lived in Egypt for a year or two, Jesus would have been 3 or 4 when they returned to Nazareth, where they remained.