Christ's Parables

Dant01

COMMON POSIT: Luke 16:19-31 has to be a parable because according to Matt 13:34
and Mark 4:3, when Jesus spoke to crowds, he spoke only in parables and never in
plain speech.

RESPONSE: The gist of those two references merely indicates that Jesus always
included at least one parable in his sermons rather than that his sermons were spoken
totally in parable form. In point of fact, many of the Lord's sermons preached to crowds
were plain-spoken without hidden meanings; for example Mark 12:35-37 which says;

"While Jesus was teaching in the temple courts, he asked: How is it that the teachers of
the law say that the Christ is the son of David? David himself, speaking by the Holy
Spirit, declared: "The Lord said to my Lord: Sit at my right hand until I put your enemies
under your feet." David himself calls him "Lord." How then can he be his son? The large
crowd listened to him with delight."

Jesus was speaking that day in the Temple courtyard which, at the time, was a
convenient venue for anybody with the moxie and the wherewithal to set up a soap box
and preach to one and all who cared to listen. He went on to say other plain-spoken
things to the crowd that day sans hidden meanings.

Another example is Mark 12:38-40 which says:

"As he taught, Jesus said: Watch out for the teachers of the law. They like to walk
around in flowing robes and be greeted in the marketplaces, and have the most
important seats in the synagogues and the places of honor at banquets. They devour
widows' houses and for a show make lengthy prayers. Such men will be punished most
severely."
_