Christ's universal compassion.

Simpletruther

Matthew 9
36 But when He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion for them, because they were weary and scattered, like sheep having no shepherd.

Christ was offering himself as the spiritual leader, the great Shepherd.

John 20
30And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book; 31 but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.

All the more men are without excuse for their rebellion.

Matthew 9
36 But when He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion for them, because they were weary and scattered, like sheep having no shepherd.

John 20
30And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book; 31 but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.

Amen

Does this imply that Jesus loved the reprobate? What are your thoughts on Psalm 73? Sounds like "common grace".

I believe we can make a strong cumulative logical argument from the attributes of God.

Is God maximally or partially righteous?
Is God maximally or partially just?
Is God maximally or partially powerful?
Is God maximally or partially good?
Is God maximally or partially holy?
Is God maximally or partially pure?
Is God maximally or partially beautiful?
Is God maximally or partially worthy?
Is God maximally or partially omnipresent?
Is God maximally or partially self-sufficient?
Is God maximally or partially transcendent?
Is God maximally or partially infinite?
Is God maximally or partially faithful?
Is God maximally or partially perfect?

I don't think any Bible-believing Christian can honestly say "God is partially X" for any other attribute and not feel a twinge of blasphemy inside.

Yet some don't blink an eye to claim God is not maximally loving.

Matthew 9

John 20

I got some pushback on this recently. I am curious about fellow calvinist's take on this.

Hard to imagine for me that Jesus compassion(pity) on the multitudes for being <like sheep without a shepherd> not implying that He desired they repented and believe.

I see other lines of evidence for this as well.

I believe we can make a strong cumulative logical argument from the attributes of God.

I don't think any Bible-believing Christian can honestly say "God is partially X" for any other attribute and not feel a twinge of blasphemy inside.

God is perfectly balanced in His Attributes and exercises them perfectly based upon His will.

That's your problem.
You reject sola Scriptura in favour of human rationalization, which you call "logic".

Ah yes, the old "I'm going to shame you and insult you if you don't agree with me" approach. Have you found that to be in any way successful?

What does it mean to be "maximally loving", and where is this taught in the Bible?

I get the impression that you believe it at least includes "God must love every single person", and that is a clear contradiction to Scripture (Ps. 5:5, Mal. 1:2-3, etc.)

I believe God is "fully loving", but that doesn't require loving everyone.

^^^^^^^ Human criteria placed upon God that He must meet, or He is rejected by the finite and foolish mind of man. Romans 9:19-21 on display.

Hi civic how are you ? ?
Mentioning Gods attributes gave you away ?

"For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself a ransom for all,"

to Whom were the promises of the Saviour made? Gen 3

for Whom has Salvation now been made possible?

As a Man Keeping the Law of Moses, Jesus would Love his Neighbor as himself. For the purposes of this Board, trying to justify ourselves; we are asking, "Who was his Neighbor?"

As a Man who is God, he would want his Neighbor to have a Shepard. He was sent to the Lost Sheep of Israel, yet he is the Second Adam; so the Debate will never end...

Romans 14:5, ESV: One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.

Last edited:
As a Man Keeping the Law of Moses, Jesus would Love his Neighbor as himself. For the purposes of this Board, we are asking, "Who was his Neighbor?"

As a Man who is God, he would have wanted his Neighbor to have a Shepard. He was sent to the Lost Sheep of Israel, so the Debate will never end...

I was thinking along this line...

Hush Puppies - by ReverendRV

Matthew 15:26:27
; But Jesus answered and said, “It is not good to take the children’s bread and throw it to the little dogs.” And she said, “Yes, Lord, yet even the little dogs eat the crumbs which fall from the masters table.”

There are several accounts in the Bible which Jesus describes a persons Faith as being a ‘great’ Faith, this is one of those times. The account goes like this; “Then Jesus went out from there and departed to the region of Tyre and Sidon. And behold, a woman of Canaan came from that region and cried out to Him, saying, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David! My daughter is severely demon-possessed.” But He answered her not a word. And His disciples came and urged Him, saying, “Send her away, for she cries out after us.” But He answered and said, “I was not sent except to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.” Then she came and worshiped Him, saying, “Lord, help me!” But He answered and said, “It is not good to take the children’s bread and throw it to the little dogs.” And she said, “Yes, Lord, yet even the little dogs eat the crumbs which fall from their masters table.” Then Jesus answered and said to her, “O woman, great is your faith! Let it be to you as you desire.” And her daughter was healed from that very hour.”

This woman showed her Faith in that she came to Jesus for help, worshiped him, called him Lord; and agreed that she was like a dog. She came to Jesus in a way which was very different from the way that the rich young ruler came to Jesus, he came through the pride of his achievements; but left the presence of Christ still in possession of his pride. The Canaanite woman knew that she didn’t have a place at Christ’s table but she came anyway. We are like her and do not deserve a place at the table. Have you ever wanted something that belongs to someone else ‘so much’ that you start to conspire ways how to have it? The Bible calls this covetousness and it is one of Gods Ten Commandments. It is at the heart of all the other Commandments. This Law of God even says for us to not covet our neighbors wife, which leads to breaking another Commandment; which is not to commit adultery. Covetousness is even behind the Commandment not to steal; if God judged you by this Law, would you be innocent or guilty? Your conscience tells you the truth; would you go to Heaven or Hell? You do not need to die in Hell for breaking God’s Laws because you can come to the Lords table and eat the crumbs from the bread of Life…

‘Hush Puppies’ get their name because of the dogs which sat around the camp fire when the men were cooking their supper from the daily catch of fish. To satisfy the dogs, they would roll up their corn bread into little balls and cook them. These would be easy for the dogs to catch, and the men would say ‘hush puppy’ when they tossed the food. There is no reason that anyone should shy away from the masters table. In the Old Testament we see that God fed the people of Israel with Manna while they wandered in the desert for forty years. This Manna is what the Angels eat and are like crumbs which fall from their table. Jesus said that he is the bread which came down from Heaven. When we have Faith in Christ as our Lord and Savior, this is symbolic of eating the bread of Life; he is our spiritual sustenance. Jesus Christ came to save hungry Sinners from the starvation of death and Hell, he will never turn anyone away. By Faith, trust in the risen Lord Jesus Christ as your Savior today…

Matthew 5:6; Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they shall be filled.

Back