Circular Reasoning

just a few verses from paul's letter to the corinthians will not necessarily give us an idea of what the gospel really is all about. there are many teachings that paul mention in his letter to the corinthians if we take the time to read it in its entirety. i would say from the verses you mentioned, paul reiterates the doctrine of the resurrection of the bodies of the dead.
Paul explicitly writes that the Gospel by which the Corinthians are saved is the Gospel that he summarizes in those verses. The Gospel is, in essence, about Christ and what He has accomplished for our salvation.

The posts on by RCs are clear examples of circular reasoning. The proofs are because the RC says so, when asked to prove it you are told that the RCC is the final authority or infallible and when asked for the proof you are given the RC says so. It declares itself the final authority, it declares itself infallible in certain announcements, it declares itself this or that.

so you read them - and you need more than that? your heart knows nothing of them...

Paul explicitly writes that the Gospel by which the Corinthians are saved is the Gospel that he summarizes in those verses. The Gospel is, in essence, about Christ and what He has accomplished for our salvation.
what i am trying to say is if one really wants to know the details of pauls summarization of the gospel, it would be more that this verses in corinthians.

Balshan never evades. She has stated the Gospel on here from time to time. Most of the evasion comes from Catholics on here. I have yet to get any answers to a couple of questions I have asked on here, like the one about the 4 Marian dogmas.
i hope so. for the marian dogmas, there is an appropriate thread for it or start one.

what i am trying to say is if one really wants to know the details of pauls summarization of the gospel, it would be more that this verses in corinthians.
know what more details? what else do you need to know? Paul was specific in those verses.

Isaiah 29:13
Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:

Matthew 15:8
This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.

Mark 7:6
He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.

know what more details? what else do you need to know? Paul was specific in those verses.

Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:

This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.

He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.
the whole bible is not only the letters of paul to the corinthians. it is made up of the old and new testament and paul's letter are just part of the 27 books in the new testament.

mica said:

the whole bible is not only the letters of paul to the corinthians. it is made up of the old and new testament and paul's letter are just part of the 27 books in the new testament.
that's you evading the gospel. post it in your own words. you should be able to do that in less than 10 words.

I doubt the rcc chooses to read those verses at a Mass - or any other time.

Paul's teachings are very important to a believer. why doesn't the rcc teach more of his writings? the rcc is big on not reading or teaching what paul taught.

Oh you are extraordinary. Oh mean how can your possibly know that. Why do RCs treat others as if they are idiots? The arrogance never ceases to amaze me, especially when they are wrong.

Well, gee, thanks for bringing that to our attention....:rolleyes: (sarcasm intended).

But Paul's letters DO make up half the NT. Does the RCC not consider them Scripture?

Last edited:
But Paul's letters DO make up half the NT. Does the RCC not consider them Scripture?
I think another question is, How does the RCC view Scripture? Not what do they claim Scripture is, but how do they act towards it?
(Hint: the RCs on here keep claiming that their church is responsible for us having Scripture - in other words, they are claiming ownership thereof. ?)

--Rich
"Esse quam videri"

I think another question is, How does the RCC view Scripture? Not what do they claim Scripture is, but how do they act towards it?
(Hint: the RCs on here keep claiming that their church is responsible for us having Scripture - in other words, they are claiming ownership thereof. ?)

--Rich
"Esse quam videri"
Not as important as the catechism?

Not as important as the catechism?
No, I think it's far, far worse: the Church of Rome organization sees itself as above the Scriptures and above the catechism, and above their "sacred" traditions. ? The RCC's catechism is the teachings of the RCC Magesterium; if those teachings change, so does the catechism. The Magisterium also claims sole authority to interpret Scripture - it determines what the words of Scripture "truly" mean. If the Magesterium declares that a passage in Luke means that Mary was born sinless, then the devotees of Roman Catholicism nod in unison and say, "Yes, Master. That is what it means."

Likewise with their "sacred" (secret?) tradition. The Magesterium is the sole interpreter of an unwritten tradition. Not only are they the interpreters, they are the only ones who know what it actually says.

The crocodile, looking like just another log in the water, lies in wait for its unsuspecting prey to approach...

--Rich
"Esse quam videri"

No, I think it's far, far worse: the Church of Rome organization sees itself as above the Scriptures and above the catechism, and above their "sacred" traditions. ? The RCC's catechism is the teachings of the RCC Magesterium; if those teachings change, so does the catechism. The Magisterium also claims sole authority to interpret Scripture - it determines what the words of Scripture "truly" mean. If the Magesterium declares that a passage in Luke means that Mary was born sinless, then the devotees of Roman Catholicism nod in unison and say, "Yes, Master. That is what it means."

Likewise with their "sacred" (secret?) tradition. The Magesterium is the sole interpreter of an unwritten tradition. Not only are they the interpreters, they are the only ones who know what it actually says.

The crocodile, looking like just another log in the water, lies in wait for its unsuspecting prey to approach...

--Rich
"Esse quam videri"

You have a point, this modern RC is shifting.

In the north end of this country, crocodiles numbers are exploding. Be careful putting your foot in the water up north.

Back