Codex Sinaiticus and Constantine Simonides - arrest and imprisonment in Berlin 1856

Would be interesting to get more info on what technicalities he got let off (away) on and any other contributing factors that relate to his release from JAIL...

"Went to a party at the county..."

Simonides version of the story:

Biographical Memoir

Pages 18-19

"After this, the trickery of Dindorf becoming known to Simonides through the news-papers of January 29th, 1856, he appealed against the treacherous Dindorf, whereupon, new machinations were devised against Simonides, that is to say, they accused him in the first place of having purloined the palimpsest from the Turkish Library, and secondly of having forged it himself. Accordingly upon this double charge he was arrested on the 1st of February, 1856, at the very time when he was waiting for a carriage in order to remoye with his property into another house, which he had occupied already for a month, as the magistrate who examined him was convinced on inquiry, and “not, as his accusers falsely reported, because he was about a to depart for London. Simonides, accordingly, being arrested was detained 17 days, and replied ably and gallantly to all the [Page 19] accusations against him. In his defence before the magistrates
he said:
‘‘If the manuscript was stolen, as my accusers assert, from the Turkish Library, if is consequently genuine, and no charge of its being fictitious can avail; if I wrote it myself it is my private property, and no one has a right to deprive me of it. Again, if it was purloined, let them mention the place from which it was stolen and shew at the same time the catalogue of the library in which it is entered. And if it is my own work, as some ignorant persons have reported, who assail what is extraordinary as if it were an imposture, let them prove this scientifically, and if it be proved, I will willingly submit to whatever punishment the laws decree. But if it is true that I myself wrote the manuscripts then I haye a right, I consider, to publish this learned work in my own name, as well as all the other learned productions of the same author, sixty in all, inscribe them with the name of Simonides and strike out that of Uranius. In that case I shall be justly celebrated as the cleverest of men.”
The magistrates again asked him if he purloined it from the library of the present Sultan, Abdul Medjid, and he very properly replied that the Sultan had no library, and that the Sultans do not eyen know what a library is. The tribunal of Leipsic, having no proof against Simonides, and being convinced that he was unjustly persecuted, and that the accusation was made solely to get possession of the palimpsest, in order that it might afterwards be presented to the King of Prussia, acquitted him at once, and he was set at liberty. But the Prussian Ministry anticipating this, demanded Simonides, in order to hear from him viva voce the real truth concerning this affair.
At first the Saxon Government rejected the demand of the Prussian Ministry, but afterwards, haying received the assent of Simonides, and an undertaking from the Minister of Justice that no harm should befal him, but that he should be indemnified for what he had suffered, they surrendered him."
Accordingly Simonides, haying gone to Berlin on the 17th [Page 20] of February with the representative of the Prussian Foreign Office, was again subjected to even a severer examination, and related in full the history of the discovery of the Uranius. In Berlin, also, he was fully acquitted, and being freed from the accusation, held his accusers up to scorn. Herr Lepsius, in fact, he not only held up to scorn, but accused—with good reason—of theft, for he stole many of Simonides’ effects, when Stiber, the officer of the Municipality, who had received the chest of Simonides from the Saxon government sealed with the Royal seal of Saxony, handed it over, after breaking the seal, to his dear friend Lepsius. Truly a well-ordered government! So Lepsius having become—as he desired—master of Simonides’ chest, disposed of its contents as he thought fit; some he took away, others he destroyed, and a very few he returned to Herr Stiber. Those taken away were scarce coins, rubbings of unknown inscriptions, extensive annotations concerning hieroglyphic writings and the Egyptian
language, as well as the Ethiopian, Lycian, Phoonician, and Carian languages, and concerning the Pelasgian letters, and the ancient dialects of the Armenians. Besides these a portion of the copy of Uranius, especially that from the fifth to the twentieth dynasty, and moreover letters from distinguished persons, as Professor Mullach confessed in the court, for he said that he saw Lepsius throwing some English letters into a bag. From this it may, as it would seem, be inferred, that the seizure of Simonides and his unfair removal to Berlin was induced by a desire to obtain possession of his manuscripts. Some of the stolen property was actually found in the hands of Lepsius, as the tribunal of Berlin informed Simonides by a letter afterwards sent to him at Munich. Lepsius also purloined all the essays against Simonides that he could find,
which the latter had collected with a view of some day replying to them. From these, and the memoranda furnished him by the followers of Rhancabe, Lepsius composed a ridiculous biography or satire. This biography is a matter very little to the credit of Lepsius, who, though he ‘may be a learned man, is neither remarkable for his honesty

https://archive.org/stream/1859-biographical-memoir-of-constantine-simonides-stewart/1859 Biographical_Memoir_of_Constantine_Simonides-Stewart 01OCR_djvu.txt

https://archive.org/stream/1859-biographical-memoir-of-constantine-simonides-stewart/1859 Biographical_Memoir_of_Constantine_Simonides-Stewart 01OCR_djvu.txt

Andreas David Mordtmann
Allgemeine Zeitung
Augsburg
November 28th, 1853
Col. 5307
Page 953
"The Literary Swindles of Simonides & Constantinople"
(Google translated from German into garbled English)
[English text edited and paraphrased by me]

Mordtmann's account is given in English in 1856, the printing is better in the GM than in the Athenaeum.

Gentleman's Magazine
https://books.google.com/books?id=Tg9IAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA270

Later by Sotheby in 1858.
Principia Typographica: The Blockbooks Or Xylographic Delineations of Scripture History, Issued in Holland, Flanders and Germany During the Fifteenth Century, Exemplified and Considered in Connexion with the Origin of Printing : to which is Added an Attempt to Elucidate the Character of the Paper-marks of the Period, Volume 2

Mordtmann's account is given in English in 1856, the printing is better in the GM than in the Athenaeum.

Gentleman's Magazine
https://books.google.com/books?id=Tg9IAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA270

Later by Sotheby in 1858.
Principia Typographica: The Blockbooks Or Xylographic Delineations of Scripture History, Issued in Holland, Flanders and Germany During the Fifteenth Century, Exemplified and Considered in Connexion with the Origin of Printing : to which is Added an Attempt to Elucidate the Character of the Paper-marks of the Period, Volume 2

Yes, thanks. But they don't give the original German, which is the source of my posts on Mordtmann.

It's interesting that in his memoir, Simonide's list's this work published by him:

"A Biographical Memoir of Constantine Simonides, Dr. Ph., of Stageira, with a Brief Defense of the Authenticity of His Manuscripts."
By Charles Stewart, 1859
Pages 60-61

Simonides has also prepared for publication a large number of
works, and measures have been taken to forward their progress through the press. Among the numerous productions
of this fertile author will be found the following :

1. A brief exposition of the Paintings of Mount Athos and their
painters.
2. Miscellaneous, among which is an article on the discovery of Urnnius.
3. The Athoniad ; or, History of the Antiquities of Mount Athos, in 4
books.
4. An Historical Survey of the Monasteries on Mount Athos.
5. Lives of Eminent Men of Mount Athos, 2 books.
6. Insular Notes; or, a History of the Antiquities of the Islands in the
AEgean Sea, 4 books.
7. Archreological Reminicenccs.
8. Observations on Palmyra and Phenley.
9. A Description of Asia, 6 books.
10. A Journey tluough Egypt and Syria, 7 books.
11. On Hieroglyphics, 4 books.
12. Unaut'henticntcd Inscriptions in European Museums.
13. On the Formation of Egyptian Ch01·acters.
14. The Prussian Fabrication of a Spurious Dynasty.
16. Lyctugus the Slanderer.
16. On Ancient Greek Literature, 10 books.
17. Byzantine Ecclesiastical Architecture.
18. Curiosities, 2 books.
19. Historical Reminiscences, 6 books.
20. On National Literature, 6 books.
21. On the Lycinn and Carlan Characters.
22. On tho Coptic Characters.
23. On the Pelagic Characters.
24. Studies and Readings.
26. Description of the Univene.
26. Mytbological Recollections of the Greeks and Egyptions.​

Now the original Greek text in the letter sent to Mr Stewart for publishing, for number 16

16. "Lycurgus the Slanderer"

Would possibly be:

ὁ Λυκοῦργος ὁ διάβολος

Which, if was correct (and I'm not certain of this) could be translated alternatively as:

"Lycurgos the Devil"

Which if I'm correct, would be yet another evidence of his vengeful and spiteful character.

It's interesting that in his memoir, Simonide's list's this work published by him:

"A Biographical Memoir of Constantine Simonides, Dr. Ph., of Stageira, with a Brief Defense of the Authenticity of His Manuscripts."
By Charles Stewart, 1859
Pages 60-61

Simonides has also prepared for publication a large number of
works, and measures have been taken to forward their progress through the press. Among the numerous productions
of this fertile author will be found the following :​

14. The Prussian Fabrication of a Spurious Dynasty.
16. Lyctugus the Slanderer.
16. On Ancient Greek Literature, 10 books.​

Now the original Greek text in the letter sent to Mr Stewart for publishing, for number 16

16. "Lycurgus the Slanderer"

p. 25 in the Memoir

There is also an interesting list of publications on p. 33-36

The magistrates again asked him if he purloined it from the library of the present Sultan, Abdul Medjid, and he very properly replied that the Sultan had no library, and that the Sultans do not eyen know what a library is.

Simonides claimed that the Turkish sultans didn't even know what a library was...

Not true (yet again)!

The Turkish (i.e. Ottoman) Sultans did indeed have libraries and knew what they were!

https://grolierclub.wordpress.com/2...-curzon-which-famous-library-of-the-seraglio/

Red flag everyone ⛳
Hypocrisy alarm ? going off..
Double standard alarm ?? also ringing.
This is the guy who's effectively saying Simonides had no pecuniary interest in the Codex Siniaticus whatsoever (just a few posts ago)...
Here he says, out of the other corner of his mouth:
Hmmmmmm

You are totally confused.

His $ interest would be in people thinking that a beautiful like-new parchment Sinaiticus was actually 1,500 years old. That you can see in the 1859 Memoir. Can help his own market.

However, for the integrity of history :) Simonides sacrificed that gain to acknowledge that Sinaiticus was under 25 years old.

His $ interest would be in people thinking that a beautiful like-new parchment Sinaiticus was actually 1,500 years old. That you can see in the 1859 Memoir. Can help his own market.

However, for the integrity of history :) Simonides sacrificed that gain to acknowledge that Sinaiticus was under 25 years old.

Disambiguate...

It's taken you that long ...to formulate something like a plausible reply...(slow clapping followed by the sound of crickets)...

Last edited:
It's taken you that long ...to formulate something like a plausible reply...(slow clapping followed by the sound of crickets)...

You have yet to formulate a post about the $$$ aspects, a supposed pecuniary motive, that is actually sensible.

What you wrote the last few days made no sense, so I unravelled it in my post.

Back