Codex Sinaiticus and Constantine Simonides - St Catherine's manuscripts Catalogue(s) plural

After reading the translated text, IMO, Farmadikis jumps to conclusions.

He makes leaps in logic, which, when applied to him show's a hypocritical standard.

He reason's that Chaviaras is too young to have met Simonides personally, or talk to him face to face. True. But neither could Farmadikis.

Farmadikis reasons that Chaviaras came to Symi to late to get accurate facts. Then again, if we apply the same criteria to Farmadikis, he's over a hundred years too late, so this is specious reasoning as well.

Farmadikis also reasons that Chaviaras (born 1849) left the island of Symi for 5 years (during 1862 to 1867) when he was 13 and returned when he was 18, then wrote the dictionary article 21 years later when he was 39 (and somehow this is significant?). So what! He was absent for 5 years. But he had been present on the island for a total of 34 years by the time the article was written.

In the end, Farmadikis, is guessing at Chaviaras' motives. Farmadikis makes retrospective assumptions about where Chaviaras sources his information.

It appears that anyone who (to Farmadikis) has a single negative word to say about his beloved Constantine Simonides is motivated by hatred, and has been diabolically misled. This permeates what I've read, which has been provided so far by Steven Avery. Like Avery, there appears to be a lot of assumptive guess work, and the work is extremely biased (and that's just from small snippets).

NOTE: Avery! The Footnotes are missing.
NOTE: Avery! Sufficient context is missing. I had to go to your blog to get more context, which you didn't say a word about.

Last edited:
What birth date does Simonides (note Simonides himself!) give for his Benedict?

Or what's the earliest date reference that Simonides (note Simonides himself!) gives for his Benedict's activities?

Simonides mentioned his Benedict taught somewhere sometime in the 1700's?

You know the reference. What was that date again?

What birth date does Simonides (note Simonides himself!) give for his Benedict?
Or what's the earliest date reference that Simonides (note Simonides himself!) gives for his Benedict's activities?
Simonides mentioned his Benedict taught somewhere sometime in the 1700's?
You know the reference. What was that date again?

I don’t have a complete “Simonides on Benedict” post or page yet. I’ll try to get one a-morning.

An oustanding issue with this Benedict is why the Athos/St. Panteleimon accounts describe him as being 106 years old at the date of his death, and the date of death is also variable as between different authors' account (although all in 1840).

Back