Common Figure of Speech/Colloquial Language?

e v e

1. The Messiah said that He would be three days and three nights in the "heart of the earth".

2. There are some who think that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with the resurrection taking place on the 1st day of the week.

3. And of those, there are some who think that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb or at the earliest to the moment when His spirit left His body).

4. However, a 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection allows for only 2 nights to be involved.

5. To account for the lack of a 3rd night, there may be some of those mentioned above who try to explain the lack of a 3rd night by saying that the Messiah was using common figure of speech/colloquial language.

6. I'm simply curious if anyone who may fall in the above group of believers might provide examples to support the belief of commonality; i.e., instances where a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could have occurred.
the heart of the earth is eden earth in the other world. It is indeed the tomb, sheol, fallen eden.

I'll not comment on the rest except to bookmark genesis 1 (transliteration not translations), which describes day and night in incredible terms that don’t seem to play a part into your exegesis.

rstrats

the heart of the earth...is indeed the tomb...
And that is to whom this topic is directed - to those who think the "heart of the earth" refers to the tomb.
I'll not comment on the rest except to bookmark genesis 1 (transliteration not translations), which describes day and night in incredible terms that don’t seem to play a part into your exegesis.
To what exegesis are you referring?

e v e

I guess I just don't understand your point.

BTW, do you believe the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week?

What I care about is that by the cross He paid the legal price of His souls, so we could be saved.

I'm not saying understanding every detail is not important, of course it is important to understand.
The days and times and place he chose are play outs, to undo the fall, and every aspect, name, and event in scripture
have a meaning. For example, riding the ass, rahab's rope etc., the spear of the centurion.

but I've yet to see these things properly explained and understood on these forums, and no I'm not claiming I
understand every single detail.

rstrats

What I care about is that by the cross He paid the legal price of His souls, so we could be saved.

I'm not saying understanding every detail is not important, of course it is important to understand.
The days and times and place he chose are play outs, to undo the fall, and every aspect, name, and event in scripture
have a meaning. For example, riding the ass, rahab's rope etc., the spear of the centurion.

but I've yet to see these things properly explained and understood on these forums, and no I'm not claiming I
understand every single detail.
If your cryptic comments mean that you are not a believer in a 6th day of the week crucifixion then this topic does not apply to you.

e v e

If your cryptic comments mean that you are not a believer in a 6th day of the week crucifixion then this topic does not apply to you.
I don't know what day of the week He died on. It's usually marked on Friday, Good Friday, but that is a Roman Custom and
they also made other calendar changes as well as altered scripture. I don't trust any of that.

e v e

I was not being cryptic, at all.

How would the topic apply to me or to anyone? In your opinion.

Terry43

I have personally always believed that most likely Christ was crucified on Thursday not Friday ... Friday would have been the Sabbath as well as the first day of passover and I do not believe the priests would have been encouraging His death on the Sabbath...

e v e

sabbath as type = shiloh, rest...

and Christ to die to the world (for us) on that day
would make sense... as salvation 'starting on His day'

also would make sense that the priests would not like that,
dont know if they would realize they d be playing
into God's hands by doing so...
as well.... all they were doing making even more clear to everyone
who they are (satan realm snakes) and what they were doing :

--- 'themselves as traitors to God' by crucifying Christ at all.
--- themselves killing Him on His own day (sabbath).

But either way, they showed their stripes, no?
That they were not with Him but against Him,
as a type in scripture being the esaus and pharisees,
who think they know everything and are stricklers for the law... (= interpretations of scripture!)
the same types exist today pretending to be Christian.

rstrats

How would the topic apply to me or to anyone? In your opinion.
eve,
re: "How would the topic apply to me or to anyone?"

The Messiah said that He would be three days and three nights in the "heart of the earth".

This topic would apply to you or to anyone who believes that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with the resurrection taking place on the 1st day of the week; and who thinks that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb or at the earliest to the moment when His spirit left His body; and who tries to explain the lack of a 3rd night by saying that the Messiah was using common figure of speech/colloquial language.

rstrats

I have personally always believed that most likely Christ was crucified on Thursday not Friday ... Friday would have been the Sabbath as well as the first day of passover and I do not believe the priests would have been encouraging His death on the Sabbath...
That would be an issue for a different topic. Perhaps you might start one.

e v e

eve,
re: "How would the topic apply to me or to anyone?"

The Messiah said that He would be three days and three nights in the "heart of the earth".

This topic would apply to you or to anyone who believes that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with the resurrection taking place on the 1st day of the week; and who thinks that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb or at the earliest to the moment when His spirit left His body; and who tries to explain the lack of a 3rd night by saying that the Messiah was using common figure of speech/colloquial language.
I take scripture literally. The heart of the earth is not a tomb as in a physical burial place in this world.
The events are describing something in the other world.

shnarkle

1. The Messiah said that He would be three days and three nights in the "heart of the earth".

2. There are some who think that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with the resurrection taking place on the 1st day of the week.

3. And of those, there are some who think that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb or at the earliest to the moment when His spirit left His body).

4. However, a 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection allows for only 2 nights to be involved.

5. To account for the lack of a 3rd night, there may be some of those mentioned above who try to explain the lack of a 3rd night by saying that the Messiah was using common figure of speech/colloquial language.

6. I'm simply curious if anyone who may fall in the above group of believers might provide examples to support the belief of commonality; i.e., instances where a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could have occurred.
"Three days" is used by Hebrew idiom for any part of three days and three nights is not disputed; because that was the common way of reckoning, just as it was when used of years. Three or any number of years was used inclusively of any part of those years, as may be seen in the reckoning of the reigns of any of the kings of Israel or Judah.

In the expression, "the heart of the earth" (Matt. 12:40), the meaning is the same as "the heart of the sea", "heart" being put by the Fig. Metonymy (of the Subject), for "the midst", and is frequently so translated. See Ps. 46:2. Jer. 51:1. Ezek. 27:4, 25, 26, 27; 28:2. It is used of ships when sailing "in the heart of the seas", i.e. in or on the sea. See Ezek. 27:25, 26; 28:8; also of people dwelling in the heart of the seas, i.e. on islands (Ezek. 28:2).

rstrats

I take scripture literally. The heart of the earth is not a tomb as in a physical burial place in this world.
The events are describing something in the other world.

That's why I added: "or at the earliest to the moment when His spirit left His body".

Do the other 2 conditions apply to you?

rstrats

eve,
re: "I don't understand why you are focusing on it."

Read the OP.

re: "Can you explain your position?"

My position is that if someone says that it was common to forecast or say that a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could occur, then they would have to have examples to show that it was common usage.

BTW, why did you respond to my post to shnarkle instead of my post to you?