Common Figure of Speech/Colloquial Language?

rstrats

1. The Messiah said that He would be three days and three nights in the "heart of the earth".

2. There are some who think that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with the resurrection taking place on the 1st day of the week.

3. And of those, there are some who think that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb or at the earliest to the moment when His spirit left His body).

4. However, a 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection allows for only 2 nights to be involved.

5. To account for the lack of a 3rd night, there may be some of those mentioned above who try to explain the lack of a 3rd night by saying that the Messiah was using common figure of speech/colloquial language.

6. I'm simply curious if anyone who may fall in the above group of believers might provide examples to support the belief of commonality; i.e., instances where a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could have occurred.

6. I'm simply curious if anyone who may fall in the above group of believers might provide examples to support the belief of commonality; i.e., instances where a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could have occurred.

I have come to believe that our modern society is FAR more precise in its thinking than the first century was.

I don't think a "day" meant "12 hours" and "night" meant "12 hours".
I mean, at that time they didn't even have the technology to measure "hours" all that precisely, hence comments about "ABOUT the 9th hour..."

I don't think "A day is as a thousand years" meant EXACTLY a thousand years.

I don't think that forgiving "70 x 7 times" meant that you didn't have to forgive after precisely the 491st time.

If you can't see how my response directly addresses your OP, that's not my problem.

The OP is directed to those who believe the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week, and who think that the "heart of the earth" refers to the tomb or at the earliest to the moment when the Messiah's spirit left His body, and who try to explain the lack of a 3rd night by saying He was employing common figure of speech/colloquial usage of the period, and who can provide examples to support the assertion of commonality.
If that applies to you, I don't see where your post provides any examples.

The OP is directed to those who believe the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week, and who think that the "heart of the earth" refers to the tomb or at the earliest to the moment when the Messiah's spirit left His body, and who try to explain the lack of a 3rd night by saying He was employing common figure of speech/colloquial usage of the period, and who can provide examples to support the assertion of commonality.

<sigh>

Yes, I'm well aware of that.
I'm quite fluent in English (which was the language you wrote your OP in), and have had over half a century experience in it.

If that applies to you, I don't see where your post provides any examples.

I'm sorry to hear that.

I have come to believe that our modern society is FAR more precise in its thinking than the first century was.
That is the mentality of all denominations whether they be Catholic, Muslims, Baptists, Methodists COCs AOGs, Mormons, you name it see it more clearly than the first century saw it. But in reality the see it exactly the same as for as you say it is only a belief.. There are many beliefs --aren't there?
I don't think a "day" meant "12 hours" and "night" meant "12 hours".
I mean, at that time they didn't even have the technology to measure "hours" all that precisely, hence comments about "ABOUT the 9th hour..."

I don't think "A day is as a thousand years" meant EXACTLY a thousand years.

I don't think that forgiving "70 x 7 times" meant that you didn't have to forgive after precisely the 491st time.

Technical difficulties compound confusion of the simplicity of God who is Love and man is the temple of. So simple a God yet so difficult for the religious mind to comprehend.

1. The Messiah said that He would be three days and three nights in the "heart of the earth".

2. There are some who think that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with the resurrection taking place on the 1st day of the week.

3. And of those, there are some who think that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb or at the earliest to the moment when His spirit left His body).

4. However, a 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection allows for only 2 nights to be involved.

5. To account for the lack of a 3rd night, there may be some of those mentioned above who try to explain the lack of a 3rd night by saying that the Messiah was using common figure of speech/colloquial language.

Did the Messiah rise on the third day?

"Heart of the earth" = buried, but given the Sabbath, the hasty burial described in the Bible would have had to occur before sunset on Friday. One reason why the Roman soldiers made sure they were all dead so the unclean bodies weren't hanging around on the Sabbath.

From my understanding of the cultural references from the period, one second before sunset is one "day" and one second after sunset is another "day", therefore, Friday (during light), Saturday (dark and light), Sunday (anytime after dark) would be three days. At least for a Jew.

Probably colloquial speech, to indicate three days (as in a day) instead of days (as in the period of light). Doesn't get past the way the Jews counted them as "evening and morning" or dark and light.

Ugh, I'd suggest you look at Jewish websites.

The Jewish day does not begin and end at midnight as does the secular calendar day. Midnight is not a distinguishable astronomic event. In the era before the modern clock, a specific hour of the night could not be precisely known, whereas an hour of the day was easily determined by sighting the location of the sun. Thus, the day had to begin by precise, simple and universally recognized standards. This meant that the day had to be reckoned either from the beginning of night or the beginning of day.

In Jewish time, the day begins with the onset of night (the appearance of the stars) followed by the morning (which technically begins with the appearance of the North Star). According to some Jewish teachers, night and morning begin with sunset and sunrise respectively. For that is how the Torah describes it: “And there was evening and there was morning, the first day.”

From my understanding of the cultural references from the period, one second before sunset is one "day" and one second after sunset is another "day", therefore, Friday (during light), Saturday (dark and light), Sunday (anytime after dark) would be three days.

But that would only allow for 2 nights. Do you try to explain the lack of a 3rd night by saying that the Messiah was employing common usage of the period?

the heart of the earth...is indeed the tomb...
And that is to whom this topic is directed - to those who think the "heart of the earth" refers to the tomb.
I'll not comment on the rest except to bookmark genesis 1 (transliteration not translations), which describes day and night in incredible terms that don’t seem to play a part into your exegesis.
To what exegesis are you referring?

What I care about is that by the cross He paid the legal price of His souls, so we could be saved.

I'm not saying understanding every detail is not important, of course it is important to understand.
The days and times and place he chose are play outs, to undo the fall, and every aspect, name, and event in scripture
have a meaning. For example, riding the ass, rahab's rope etc., the spear of the centurion.

but I've yet to see these things properly explained and understood on these forums, and no I'm not claiming I
understand every single detail.
If your cryptic comments mean that you are not a believer in a 6th day of the week crucifixion then this topic does not apply to you.

Back