Common Figure of Speech/Colloquial Language?

I don't see how any of those will provide what folks are actually thinking.

Also, I don't see where you say what you think the subject of this topic is.
Rstrats,
Why are you pursuing this dead end when
A) The heart of the earth likely means something different
B) There are many times when Hebrew terms show up only once or a few times in Tanakh?

Comparison of sources finds out what the sources are thinking as does consultation of the Bible.
And again, that's what I'm trying to do, asking anyone who thinks that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with the resurrection taking place on the 1st day of the week and who thinks that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb or at the earliest to the moment when His spirit left His body, and who trys to account for the lack of a 3rd night by saying that the Messiah was using common figure of speech/colloquial language, if they might provide examples to support the belief of commonality; i.e., instances where a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could have occurred.
Yes, opinion with regard to different issues.

And again, that's what I'm trying to do, asking anyone who thinks that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with the resurrection taking place on the 1st day of the week and who thinks that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb or at the earliest to the moment when His spirit left His body, and who trys to account for the lack of a 3rd night by saying that the Messiah was using common figure of speech/colloquial language, if they might provide examples to support the belief of commonality; i.e., instances where a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could have occurred.

Yes, opinion with regard to different issues.
And I also gave a reference in that post for you, or anyone interested to check and perhaps follow up on.

Quite frankly, if I took the opinions from forums, even quality forums, as anything better than a first approximation for an answer and starting point for my personal research, then I'd be foolish. Now, nothing wrong with that and I've gone fishing like you appear to be doing myself, but either all I need is a quick first approximation answer or I'm looking for starting points to start digging for myself.

And the reference was with regard to issues for a different topic.

Jewish Time​

clock.jpg

Jews keep time in a unique way from the rest of the world. Discover why the calendar begins with Creation, the month with the new moon, and the day with sunset.​

That is the beginning of the article directly linked.

Jewish Time​

clock.jpg

Jews keep time in a unique way from the rest of the world. Discover why the calendar begins with Creation, the month with the new moon, and the day with sunset.​

That is the beginning of the article directly linked.

And again, that is an issue for a different topic. This topic is concerned with one issue and only one issue, i.e., examples which show that it was common to forecast or say that a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could occur.

And again, that is an issue for a different topic. This topic is concerned with one issue and only one issue, i.e., examples which show that it was common to forecast or say that a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could occur.
According to research I did years ago over a while, yes it was as common then as it is today in our much more anal (in a temporal sense) American culture. Go with it, research it yourself or blow me off. I cannot drag Jesus down here and ask Him live for you to get your definitive answer.

I actually find it interesting (but not enough to research) as to why the beginning of the day was set in the middle of the night. I've been in situations where I worked from sun(rise) to sun(set) and I could see either time being a demarcation and a quite rational one because that is the way I was working and living. There are issues with changing amounts of daylight and precision of time keeping there, but why in the middle of the night?

1. The Messiah said that He would be three days and three nights in the "heart of the earth".

2. There are some who think that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with the resurrection taking place on the 1st day of the week.

3. And of those, there are some who think that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb or at the earliest to the moment when His spirit left His body).

4. However, a 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection allows for only 2 nights to be involved.

5. To account for the lack of a 3rd night, there may be some of those mentioned above who try to explain the lack of a 3rd night by saying that the Messiah was using common figure of speech/colloquial language.

6. I'm simply curious if anyone who may fall in the above group of believers might provide examples to support the belief of commonality; i.e., instances where a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could have occurred.
I read some of the thread. You have a legit question, because being dead Friday afternoon thru Sunday morning is three days and two nights.
It is possible that what Jesus spoke had a hidden meaning that has not yet been revealed.
I wonder down the thread does anyone give another example of the same type of language.

According to research I did years ago over a while, yes it was as common then as it is today in our much more anal (in a temporal sense) American culture. Go with it, research it yourself or blow me off. I cannot drag Jesus down here and ask Him live for you to get your definitive answer.

I actually find it interesting (but not enough to research) as to why the beginning of the day was set in the middle of the night. I've been in situations where I worked from sun(rise) to sun(set) and I could see either time being a demarcation and a quite rational one because that is the way I was working and living. There are issues with changing amounts of daylight and precision of time keeping there, but why in the middle of the night?
Are you speaking about Gen 1 where it says evening and morning the first day?

But that would only allow for 2 nights. Do you try to explain the lack of a 3rd night by saying that the Messiah was employing common usage of the period?
there was the darkness on Friday when the sun went down
there was the darkness on Saturday when the sun went down
there was the darkness on Sunday before the sun came up..

It is common then as it is today to call the darkness "night"

Three different days of the week had a period of darkness commonly referred to as "night"

Last edited:
I cannot drag Jesus down here and ask Him live for you to get your definitive answer.
I'm not aware of Him saying that it was common to forecast or say that a daytime or night time was to be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could be.
I actually find it interesting (but not enough to research) as to why the beginning of the day was set in the middle of the night.
I thought calendar days ended at sunset and not at midnight. But at any rate, that is an issue for a different topic.

I thought calendar days ended at sunset and not at midnight. But at any rate, that is an issue for a different topic.
for some parts of Israel
for other parts, the new day begins at sunrise.

That is why the Last Supper is a Passover meal
and Jesus was on the Cross while lambs were being sacrificed in the Temple

I wonder down the thread does anyone give another example of the same type of language.
There has been one possible example given based on the idea that "three days, night or day" is the same thing as "three days and three nights". But even if it is, one example doesn't show commonality.

There has been one possible example given based on the idea that "three days, night or day" is the same thing as "three days and three nights". But even if it is, one example doesn't show commonality.
This morning's actual conversation.

Did you hear that dog barking last night?
What time was that?
About 4:30 AM

Three different days of the week had a period of darkness commonly referred to as "night"

Last edited:
for some parts of Israel
for other parts, the new day begins at sunrise.

That is why the Last Supper is a Passover meal
and Jesus was on the Cross while lambs were being sacrificed in the Temple
How does that amount to at least parts of each one of three daytimes and at least a part of each one of three night times?

This morning's actual conversation.

Did you hear that dog barking last night?
What time was that?
About 4:30 AM

I'm sorry, but I have no idea as to your point.

I'm sorry, but I have no idea as to your point.
i provided a common language example
of the darkness of Saturday's (today's) morning referred to as last night.

the point is: Even today: our common language is not precise with its distinctions between days of the week and night.

Last edited:
Back