Communion Means Symbolic Otherwise Its Idolatry

Hark

@ziapueblo @Dizerner @John t @HillsboroMom @Bonnie @BMS @Timket @Ascetic @RayneBeau @Southsider071 @JoeT @organgrinder @Mike McK @Rook @Doug @Jerry_Fletcher @balshan @LifeIn @Buzzard @Nic @1Thess521 @Authentic Nouveau @BJ Bear @TwoNoteableCorruptions @RiJoRi @Matt Slick @4Him @Conan @Steven Avery @Leatherneck0311 @MMDAN @TomFL @rossh @101G @puddleglum @Son Of Saxon @Saxon @rakovsky

Communion means symbolic or else otherwise, it would be idolatry.

1 Corinthians 10:14 Wherefore, my dearly beloved, flee from idolatry. 15 I speak as to wise men; judge ye what I say. 16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ? 17 For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread.

Note verse 17 in the use of the symbolism of the one bread & one body in regards to us as believers. So it is the same for verse 16. If you read communion as meaning symbolic or replace the word communion with symbolic, then you can see the message Paul is conveying here.

So no matter how much the church is misapplying scripture elsewhere as if it is not symbolic, scripture cannot go against scripture for why this reference is clear that communion of the bread & wine is nothing more than being symbolic of the body & blood of Jesus Christ; hence His Presence is not in the bread nor wine for that would make it more than what they are and thus idolatry.

Isaiah 44:16 He burneth part thereof in the fire; with part thereof he eateth flesh; he roasteth roast, and is satisfied: yea, he warmeth himself, and saith, Aha, I am warm, I have seen the fire: 17 And the residue thereof he maketh a god, even his graven image: he falleth down unto it, and worshippeth it, and prayeth unto it, and saith, Deliver me; for thou art my god. 18 They have not known nor understood: for he hath shut their eyes, that they cannot see; and their hearts, that they cannot understand. 19 And none considereth in his heart, neither is there knowledge nor understanding to say, I have burned part of it in the fire; yea, also I have baked bread upon the coals thereof; I have roasted flesh, and eaten it: and shall I make the residue thereof an abomination?........

Saved believers that take communion for the atonement for the forgiveness of sins since last communion, forget what scripture testify to how we receive forgiveness.

By asking Jesus to forgive us of our sins & believing Him to do it.

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

And by leaning on Him for help not to commit those sins again, we walk in the light in fellowship with the Father & the Son, and His blood cleanses us in that way too..

1 John 1:3 That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ. 4 And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full. 5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

If we treat communion as if we are receiving Him again, believing His Presence is in the bread & the wine, we are ignoring this warning from Paul & sinning that way while departing from the faith we are to maintain in Jesus Christ too.

2 Corinthians 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. 4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

1 Corinthians 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

So there is no receiving Him again via communion.

We are to do communion in remembrance of Him for why the bread & the wine are meant to be symbolic. If it was for more than that, Jesus would have led with those more "important" reasons rather than just to do it in remembrance of Him.

Last edited:

Hark

Those invited to the thread, feel free to invite others to the thread that you believe has something to offer in this discussion with @ to their names.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Mac

@ziapueblo @Dizerner @John t @HillsboroMom @Bonnie @BMS @Timket @Ascetic @RayneBeau @Bonlee1 @Southsider071 @JoeT @organgrinder @Mike McK @Rook @Doug @Jerry_Fletcher @balshan @LifeIn @Buzzard @Nic @1Thess521 @Authentic Nouveau @BJ Bear @TwoNoteableCorruptions @RiJoRi @Matt Slick @4Him @Conan @Steven Avery @Leatherneck0311 @MMDAN @TomFL @rossh @101G @puddleglum @Son Of Saxon @Saxon @rakovsky

1 Corinthians 10:14 Wherefore, my dearly beloved, flee from idolatry. 15 I speak as to wise men; judge ye what I say. 16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ? 17 For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread.

Note verse 17 in the use of the symbolism of the one bread & one body in regards to us as believers. So it is the same for verse 16. If you read communion as meaning symbolic or replace the word communion with symbolic, then you can see the message Paul is conveying here.

So no matter how much the church is misapplying scripture elsewhere as if it is not symbolic, scripture cannot go against scripture for why this reference is clear that communion of the bread & wine is nothing more than being symbolic of the body & blood of Jesus Christ; hence His Presence is not in the bread nor wine for that would make it more than what they are and thus idolatry.

Isaiah 44:16 He burneth part thereof in the fire; with part thereof he eateth flesh; he roasteth roast, and is satisfied: yea, he warmeth himself, and saith, Aha, I am warm, I have seen the fire: 17 And the residue thereof he maketh a god, even his graven image: he falleth down unto it, and worshippeth it, and prayeth unto it, and saith, Deliver me; for thou art my god. 18 They have not known nor understood: for he hath shut their eyes, that they cannot see; and their hearts, that they cannot understand. 19 And none considereth in his heart, neither is there knowledge nor understanding to say, I have burned part of it in the fire; yea, also I have baked bread upon the coals thereof; I have roasted flesh, and eaten it: and shall I make the residue thereof an abomination?........

Saved believers that take communion for the atonement for the forgiveness of sins since last communion, forget what scripture testify to how we receive forgiveness.

By asking Jesus to forgive us of our sins & believing Him to do it.

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

And by leaning on Him for help not to commit those sins again, we walk in the light in fellowship with the Father & the Son, and His blood cleanses us in that way too..

1 John 1:3 That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ. 4 And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full. 5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

If we treat communion as if we are receiving Him again, believing His Presence is in the bread & the wine, we are ignoring this warning from Paul & sinning that way while departing from the faith we are to maintain in Jesus Christ too.

2 Corinthians 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. 4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

1 Corinthians 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

So there is no receiving Him again via communion.

We are to do communion in remembrance of Him for why the bread & the wine are meant to be symbolic. If it was for more than that, Jesus would have led with those more "important" reasons rather than just to do it in remembrance of Him.
My communion is with God 24-7 just as Jesus communion was with the Father 24-7.
Communion -- sacraments, is a church thing and has noting at all to do with God be in you as He was in Jesus. I went to one church denomination and their laws for communion stated unless you were baptized by them then you are not worthy of taking that communion, LOL. When they said that I stood up and left for they were right I am not worthy of their cult for manipulation and control of man. And in this cult music was not allowed, dancing before the Lord was of the devil, it was a dark and evil place they call church of christ but had noting at all to do with the Christ.

If Christ be in you, anointed of God as Jesus was anointed of God there is noting to remember for it is who we become like Him as Jesus was like Him.

Mod7

Staff member
Those invited to the thread, feel free to invite others to the thread that you believe has something to offer in this discussion with @ to their names.

Just to be sure.

You began this thread, but you do not OWN this thread. It "belongs to Matt Sllick" Therefore, you have no control over who posts here, nor does anyone need your permission nor an "invitation" to post about anything in aby thread. Keepiing it simple "DO NOT attempt to moderate other posters.

This is posted to help you "stay out of 'hot water'"

Hark

My communion is with God 24-7 just as Jesus communion was with the Father 24-7.
Communion -- sacraments, is a church thing and has noting at all to do with God be in you as He was in Jesus. I went to one church denomination and their laws for communion stated unless you were baptized by them then you are not worthy of taking that communion, LOL. When they said that I stood up and left for they were right I am not worthy of their cult for manipulation and control of man. And in this cult music was not allowed, dancing before the Lord was of the devil, it was a dark and evil place they call church of christ but had noting at all to do with the Christ.
Even a church in error belongs to Christ.

Revelation 2:18 And unto the angel of the church in Thyatira write; These things saith the Son of God, who hath his eyes like unto a flame of fire, and his feet are like fine brass; 19 I know thy works, and charity, and service, and faith, and thy patience, and thy works; and the last to be more than the first. 20 Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols. 21 And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not. 22 Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds. 23 And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works. 24 But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this doctrine, and which have not known the depths of Satan, as they speak; I will put upon you none other burden. 25 But that which ye have already hold fast till I come.

That is why all saved believers & churches are called to depart from iniquity or else be disqualified from attending the Marriage supper in Heaven which is to be held in sincerity & in truth.
If Christ be in you, anointed of God as Jesus was anointed of God there is noting to remember for it is who we become like Him as Jesus was like Him.
What we build on that foundation will be judged by Him. Any work of iniquity denying Him, they will be denied by Him unless they repent before the Bridegroom comes. Otherwise, even though denied by Him, He still abides for why they shall be with Him in Heaven spirit wise for when they die in that calamity of fire in the 3rd of the earth or during the great tribulation, to be resurrected after the great tribulation.

Titus 1: 16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

Hark

Just to be sure.

You began this thread, but you do not OWN this thread. It "belongs to Matt Sllick" Therefore, you have no control over who posts here, nor does anyone need your permission nor an "invitation" to post about anything in aby thread. Keepiing it simple "DO NOT attempt to moderate other posters.

This is posted to help you "stay out of 'hot water'"

EDIT Do not discuss moderation actions on the open board
Grievances are only handled by PM to [email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Mac

Even a church in error belongs to Christ.
A church in error is not of Christ at all. Either you are like Him and anointed of God as Jesus was anointed of God, or you are not. there is no in-between.
Revelation 2:18 And unto the angel of the church in Thyatira write; These things saith the Son of God, who hath his eyes like unto a flame of fire, and his feet are like fine brass; 19 I know thy works, and charity, and service, and faith, and thy patience, and thy works; and the last to be more than the first. 20 Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols. 21 And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not. 22 Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds. 23 And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works. 24 But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this doctrine, and which have not known the depths of Satan, as they speak; I will put upon you none other burden. 25 But that which ye have already hold fast till I come.

That is why all saved believers & churches are called to depart from iniquity or else be disqualified from attending the Marriage supper in Heaven which is to be held in sincerity & in truth.
That is what I said, either you are like Him or you are not. And everyone knows if they are like Him or not and perfect even as your Father in heaven is perfect as is commanded of us.
What we build on that foundation will be judged by Him. Any work of iniquity denying Him, they will be denied by Him unless they repent before the Bridegroom comes. Otherwise, even though denied by Him, He still abides for why they shall be with Him in Heaven spirit wise for when they die in that calamity of fire in the 3rd of the earth or during the great tribulation, to be resurrected after the great tribulation.
We are being judged this day for who we are or are not like Him, and we are our own judge and know very well if you are like Him or not as Jesus was like Him and have His same mind and walk in it as He walks in it. He is a living God and His judgment is today. He is Love and either you are like Him or you are not.
Titus 1: 16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.
And this is exactly the state of our denominations today. The have a form of godliness but hasn't a clue what it is to be like Him as He demands of us. but when one actually sees Him as He is ye shall be like Him. 1 John 3, not many believe it though do they?

Last edited:

shnarkle

Not necessarily. When Jesus holds out bread in his hands and says, "This is my body", this is the figure Metaphor, not Symbol. Symbol is a substitution while Metaphor is a representation. The distinction may seem subtle to some, but these two figure of speech are distinctly different.
1 Corinthians 10:14 Wherefore, my dearly beloved, flee from idolatry. 15 I speak as to wise men; judge ye what I say. 16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ?
This is the figure Metonymy (of the Subject) which is also very similar to the figure Metaphor. The cup is being put for the contents within it.
The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ?
Does it not represent the communion of the body of Christ?
17 For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread.

If Paul were conveying a substitution instead of a representation then he would be moving dangerously close to the doctrine of the Eucharist. Christ offer a substitutionary atonement, not a representation, but here the bread is not a substitution, but a representation because what it represents is the actual spiritual body. It is not being substituted for the actual spiritual body. see 1 Cor. 12:12
Agreed, this is why it cannot be Symbolic, but a representation instead.

Hark

A church in error is not of Christ at all. Either you are like Him and anointed of God as Jesus was anointed of God, or you are not. there is no in-between.
Yet Jesus acknowledged His church at Thyatira in Revelation 2:18-25 for why He called them to depart from iniquity orelse be cast as in left behind to face the coming great tribulation..
That is what I said, either you are like Him or you are not. And everyone knows if they are like Him or not and perfect even as your Father in heaven is perfect as is commanded of us.
I doubt you are perfect yet. Neither am I, but I trust Jesus Christ to finish His work in me to His glory; not mine.
We are being judged this day for who we are or are not like Him, and we are our own judge and know very well if you are like Him or not as Jesus was like Him and have His same mind and walk in it as He walks in it. He is a living God and His judgment is today. He is Love and either you are like Him or you are not.

And this is exactly the state of our denominations today. The have a form of godliness but hasn't a clue what it is to be like Him as He demands of us. but when one actually sees Him as He is ye shall be like Him. 1 John 3, not many believe it though do they?
I await my inheritance to be like Him thus perfect and forever His Friend when He brings me Home therefore I declare my hope in Him to keep me from falling & to present me faultless to His glory and to the glory of God the Father..

Jude 1:24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, 25 To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

Terry43

Not necessarily. When Jesus holds out bread in his hands and says, "This is my body", this is the figure Metaphor, not Symbol. Symbol is a substitution while Metaphor is a representation. The distinction may seem subtle to some, but these two figure of speech are distinctly different.

This is the figure Metonymy (of the Subject) which is also very similar to the figure Metaphor. The cup is being put for the contents within it.

If Paul were conveying a substitution instead of a representation then he would be moving dangerously close to the doctrine of the Eucharist. Christ offer a substitutionary atonement, not a representation, but here the bread is not a substitution, but a representation because what it represents is the actual spiritual body. It is not being substituted for the actual spiritual body. see 1 Cor. 12:12

Good point

Hark

Thank you for sharing but something is amiss.

Bing Search on Metaphor definition

metaphor
[ˈmedəˌfôr, ˈmedəˌfər]

NOUN
  1. a figure of speech in which a word or phrase is applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable.
    "her poetry depends on suggestion and metaphor" ·
    [more]
    synonyms:
    figure of speech · figurative expression · image · trope · allegory · parable · analogy · comparison · symbol · emblem · word painting · word picture · conceit
    • a thing regarded as representative or symbolic of something else, especially something abstract.
      "the amounts of money being lost by the company were enough to make it a metaphor for an industry that was teetering"
      synonyms:
      parable · analogy · symbol · emblem · story · tale · myth · legend · saga · fable · apologue

Symbols can be used as a representation of something. A sign or symbol can represent & not just for shorthand if that is what you are referring to as substitution in a literary style. I can see the distinction can be subtle between a metaphor & something that is symbolic but here, they can also be the same thing too for what communion means as in not the actual items they are representing symbolically or metaphorically.

1 Corinthians 10:14 Wherefore, my dearly beloved, flee from idolatry. 15 I speak as to wise men; judge ye what I say. 16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the symbolic of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the symbolic of the body of Christ? 17 For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread.

We can do the same for metaphor as well.

1 Corinthians 10:14 Wherefore, my dearly beloved, flee from idolatry. 15 I speak as to wise men; judge ye what I say. 16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the metaphor for the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the metaphor for the body of Christ? 17 For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread.

So this is how and why I see symbolic of & metaphor for as being the same thing in regards to what communion means as deferring from actually being what they claim it is as His blood and His body.

Gary Mac

Yet Jesus acknowledged His church at Thyatira in Revelation 2:18-25 for why He called them to depart from iniquity orelse be cast as in left behind to face the coming great tribulation..
Yes be perfect even as your Father in heaven is perfect.
I doubt you are perfect yet. Neither am I, but I trust Jesus Christ to finish His work in me to His glory; not mine.
His work is finished, he said it is finished, there is noting else he can say or do to get people to receieve from the Father that what he received from Him. It is finished in me for God is manifest in me just as He was manifest in Jesus, that is the reason jesus came to show us what it is to be in the Father ourselves as he was in the Father.

Perhaps the reason that you doubt we in Christ are perfect as He commands of us is you dont follow him in his ways that is perfect? His ways are perfect no matter what you think about the Christ not being perfect. Christy in you is you anointed of God, that is who Christ is Gods anointed and either you are of Christ anointed of God or you are not.
I await my inheritance to be like Him thus perfect and forever His Friend when He brings me Home therefore I declare my hope in Him to keep me from falling & to present me faultless to His glory and to the glory of God the Father..
You will wait for it until you are in a grave and it is to late to receive from Him that what Jesus received from Him by then. The kingdom of God doesnt come with observation it is within you, see Jesus in Luke 17:20-21. You are waiting for God to go someting and He is waiting on you to receive Him, God manifest in you just as He was manifest in Jesus.

He will perfect you if you will follow Jesus to Him. Love is perfect and God is Love and man is the temple of Him.
Jude 1:24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, 25 To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.
Amen and Jesus leads us to the One who does the saving, takes away the sins of this world, and when you see Him as He is ye shall be like Him. 1 John 3. We who are born of God it is impossible to be in sin, 1 John 3:9, He saves us from sin only if one will recieve Him to be like Him and in His same image.

You say you wait for Him to do someting to save you, dont go to a grave waiting, receieve Him now as Jesus received Him in Matt 3:16, He changed whole outlook as well.

ziapueblo

The Orthodox do not deny a symbolic meaning to the Eucharist, but the Church also takes Christ's words literally when he says, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you" and "This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me."

This is what Christians believed for the first 1500 years of Christianity.

Hark

The Orthodox do not deny a symbolic meaning to the Eucharist, but the Church also takes Christ's words literally when he says, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you" and "This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me."

This is what Christians believed for the first 1500 years of Christianity.
Thank you for your reply, brother.

Not according to Paul, they did not for why he told them to judge between idolatry and what communion really means for why they do communion in remembrance of Him.

The problem with your reference to Jesus's words is that He said that after telling the Pharisees on how to receive that bread of life that gives life to the world, by coming to & believing in Him in John 6:35, but they did not believe Him and He said so in John 6:36.

The Jews had it stuck in their heads about literally eating the bread of life like their fathers did when eating manna for why Jesus resorted to sarcasm.

When the disciples found it hard to hear, He then referred to something else; His ascension rather than His future crucifixion for believing in Him, not about communion. And He pointed it out again that not all disciples believed in Him.

Then He spoken plainly to His remaining disciples but in spite of the words from Peter testifying that they believe in Him, Jesus pointed out that one of them did not.

Now if He was talking about communion, would the reward for the remaining 11 that believed in Him would partake of communion right then and there if he was really talking about communion? but He did not.

Remember; the unbelieving Jews had asked Jesus to give them that bread of life that comes down from Heaven. to give life to the world. So why didn't Jesus gave communion when they had asked for it? Why did He said instead of a different way of receiving that bread of life was abut coming to & believing in Him, rather than any manna from Heaven?

So it is better to take heed to John 6:35 and His words specifically to His disciples rather than to the sarcasm to the unbelieving Jews being stuck in that mentality of actually eating something like manna as receiving that bread of life.

Do also discern this with Him, in according to His promise in John 6:35 by coming to & believing in Him, they would never hunger nor thirst any more, if Jesus was talking about communion, then we would only take communion once because He said we would not hunger nor thirst for it any more after receiving that. But He was not. It is by receiving Him at the calling of the gospel by believing in Him is why we would never seek to be filled again for we are always filled with God as a testimony from God in us that we are saved forever as His.

Ephesians 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

1 Corinthians 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

Matthew 7:17 Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved.

Those verses are not being repeated over and over again at communion, les we void the truth in His words every time we take it.

Hark

@Terry43 Not sure if you saw my reply to the other poster: Here it is again.

@Fenuay Sharing this comment with you too.

Bing Search on Metaphor definition

metaphor
[ˈmedəˌfôr, ˈmedəˌfər]

NOUN
  1. a figure of speech in which a word or phrase is applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable.
    "her poetry depends on suggestion and metaphor" ·
    [more]
    synonyms:
    figure of speech · figurative expression · image · trope · allegory · parable · analogy · comparison · symbol · emblem · word painting · word picture · conceit
    • a thing regarded as representative or symbolic of something else, especially something abstract.
      "the amounts of money being lost by the company were enough to make it a metaphor for an industry that was teetering"
      synonyms:
      parable · analogy · symbol · emblem · story · tale · myth · legend · saga · fable · apologue

Symbols can be used as a representation of something. A sign or symbol can represent & not just for shorthand if that is what you are referring to as substitution in a literary style. I can see the distinction can be subtle between a metaphor & something that is symbolic but here, they can also be the same thing too for what communion means as in not the actual items they are representing symbolically or metaphorically.

1 Corinthians 10:14 Wherefore, my dearly beloved, flee from idolatry. 15 I speak as to wise men; judge ye what I say. 16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the symbolic of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the symbolic of the body of Christ? 17 For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread.

We can do the same for metaphor as well.

1 Corinthians 10:14 Wherefore, my dearly beloved, flee from idolatry. 15 I speak as to wise men; judge ye what I say. 16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the metaphor for the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the metaphor for the body of Christ? 17 For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread.

So this is how and why I see symbolic of & metaphor for as being the same thing in regards to what communion means as deferring from actually being what they claim it is as His blood and His body.

John t

What do these verses mean?

Luke 22:
And he took bread, and after giving thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” 20 And in the same way the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood which is poured out for you.
21 “But behold, the hand of the one who is betraying me is with me on the table! 22 For the Son of Man is going according to what has been determined, but woe to that man by whom he is betrayed!” 23 And they began to debate with one another who then of them it could be who was going to do this.

1 Corinthians 11:
23 For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you, that the Lord Jesus, on the night in which he was betrayed, took bread, 24 and after he had given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is my body which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” 25 Likewise also the cup, after they had eaten, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.” 26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes. 27 So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and the blood of the Lord. 28 But let a person examine himself, and in this way let him eat from the bread and let him drink from the cup. 29 For the one who eats and drinks, if he does not recognize the body, eats and drinks judgment against himself. 30 Because of this, many are weak and sick among you, and quite a few ⌞have died⌟. 31 But if we were evaluating ourselves, we would not be judged. 32 But if we are judged by the Lord, we are being disciplined, in order that we will not be condemned with the world.
33 So then, my brothers, when you come together in order to eat the Lord’s supper, wait for one another. 34 If anyone is

Neither Jesus Christ, nor the Apostle Paul stuttered in the saying, and in the writing down of what was meant to be. Both extremes of making more than they wrote, or stated are are equally wrong

Arch Stanton

What do these verses mean?

Luke 22:
19 And he took bread, and after giving thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.

1 Corinthians 11:
23 For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you, that the Lord Jesus, on the night in which he was betrayed, took bread, 24 and after he had given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is my body which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” 2

Neither Jesus Christ, nor the Apostle Paul stuttered in the saying, and in the writing down of what was meant to be. Both extremes of making more than they wrote, or stated are are equally wrong
anamnesis.... a sacrificial offering of the old/new covenant

John t

Perhaps you may want to revise your analysis:

anamnesis
[ˌanəmˈnēsis]

NOUN
  1. the remembering of things from a supposed previous existence (often used with reference to Platonic philosophy).
    synonyms:
    recollection · reminiscence · nostalgia · remembering · recalling · recollecting · reminiscing
  2. medicine
    a patient's account of a medical history.
  3. christian church
    the part of the Eucharist in which the Passion, Resurrection, and Ascension of Christ are recalled
This is the Apologetics sub forum, not the Roman Catholic