Concerning Enoch

Cynthia

What explanation do we have for the disappearance of Enoch, who is said to have 'walked with God'?

Chuckz

Genesis 5:24 And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him.

The outline of Biblical usage is here:

"to take, get, fetch, lay hold of, seize, receive, acquire, buy, bring, marry, take a wife, snatch, take away"

Blue Letter Bible - Lexicon (blbclassic.org)

Hebrews 11:5 By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.

Jude 1:4 And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,

My intent is to try to answer your questions and not to start a rapture or end times debate even though I believe it is a type of rapture.

We do know that Enoch did not experience the normal death process though his body may have died:

Hebrews 9:27 And G2532 as G2596 G3745 it is appointed G606 unto men G444 once G530 to die, G599 but G1161 after G3326 this G5124 the judgment: G2920

Its speculation if Enoch is one of the two witnesses because Enoch has to die.

Did Enoch and Elijah die and go to heaven? | NeverThirsty

Blue Letter Bible - Commentaries - David Guzik - David Guzik Study Guides (blbclassic.org)

"b. Enoch walked with God: Walking with God means walking by faith (2 Corinthians 5:7), walking in the light (1 John 1:5-7), and walking in agreement with God (Amos 3:3). After walking like this with God, it is as if one day God told Enoch, "You don't need to walk home. Why don't you just come home with Me?""

"i. Hebrews 11:5 tells us the foundation of Enoch's walk with God: By faith Enoch was taken away so that he did not see death, "and was not found, because God had taken him"; for before he was taken he had this testimony, that he pleased God. You can't walk with God, or please God, apart from faith."

-Ibid.

Last edited:

SteveB

What explanation do we have for the disappearance of Enoch, who is said to have 'walked with God'?
I'm told that this is an old Jewish story.

Every day, Enoch would walk with God. After years of going to his own home every evening. On his last day, God told Enoch,
You know, we're closer to my home than yours. Why don't you just come home with me.

Every discussion I've ever heard about Enoch (for over 40 years now) is that he was the first person to be raptured by God.

Stephen

Enoch lived a life that was pleasing to God in a period of time where men's hearts were violence continually.

God moved him from one place to another, likely to save his life. He died in faith without having received the promises (Hebrews 11:5 and 11:13).

He lived in faith. He died in faith. He awaits the resurrection. Just like everybody else (including Christ though Christ is resurrected already).