"Confess your sins to one another" (James 5:16)

Timket

The Bible tells us in no uncertain terms that we must "confess [our] sins to one another" (James 5:16):

https://biblehub.com/james/5-16.htm

So I am wondering how you personally confess your sins to other people, and your experiences with confession - how often, where, with whom, and how do you like it?

In the Orthodox church, most people confess and talk about their struggles with their parish pastor who then gives them guidance. Other Orthodox might regularly talk to a church elder instead who is knowledgeable and wise. I try to confess about once a month. It can be difficult, but it's good to take account of my life and what I have to work on.

How about you?

SteveB

The Bible tells us in no uncertain terms that we must "confess [our] sins to one another" (James 5:16):

So I am wondering how you personally confess your sins to other people, and your experiences with confession - how often, where, with whom, and how do you like it?

In the Orthodox church, most people confess and talk about their struggles with their parish pastor who then gives them guidance. Other Orthodox might regularly talk to a church elder instead who is knowledgeable and wise. I try to confess about once a month. It can be difficult, but it's good to take account of my life and what I have to work on.

How about you?
Well..... there have been times when I told my pastor what I was dealing with.
Most of the time, this has been done with fellow believers, in regular conversation style.....
And there have been times when I found that there are certain people I cannot trust to keep it between us.
I.e., a gossip who believes that it's an absolute necessity to make sure as many people within the church as possible know about my failures.

Yakuda

How about you?
Absolution is through the church. John 20:22-23 ; matt 16:19 and matt 18:18

Timket

Absolution is through the church. John 20:22-23 ; matt 16:19 and matt 18:18
Thank you Yakuda. I didn't say Orthodox elders (non-presbyteroi) absolved us, but we still have a practice of "regularly talking" to them.

4Him

Administrator
Staff member

How about you?

I confess my sins every day....God is not deaf.

Do you think that verse is about literally confessing your sins to everyone, or is it about confessing to someone you wronged?
When you confess to your pastor, does he in turn confess his sins to you?

Bob Carabbio

Well..... there have been times when I told my pastor what I was dealing with.
Most of the time, this has been done with fellow believers, in regular conversation style.....
And there have been times when I found that there are certain people I cannot trust to keep it between us.
I.e., a gossip who believes that it's an absolute necessity to make sure as many people within the church as possible know about my failures.
There was actually a Suicide in a Methodist church in Saline, MI some years back because a confession was made in a Christian Men's fellowship with at least one Gossip present.

Yakuda

Thank you Yakuda. I didn't say Orthodox elders (non-presbyteroi) absolved us, but we still have a practice of "regularly talking" to them.
I see but absolution is the goal of forgiveness to make ourselves ready for heaven as john wrote in Rev 22-27

Timket

Do you think that verse is about literally confessing your sins to everyone, or is it about confessing to someone you wronged?
The verse just says "Confess your sins to one another", full-stop. No clause about only confessing to the people you have wronged.

I confess my sins every day....God is not deaf.
I'm glad you do, but the Bible tells us to confess to other people: "Confess your sins to one another".

There was actually a Suicide in a Methodist church in Saline, MI some years back because a confession was made in a Christian Men's fellowship with at least one Gossip present.
That's terrible. And that's why we usually only confess to one ordained and accountable person.

When you confess to your pastor, does he in turn confess his sins to you?
For the reasons Bob mentioned above, everyone usually has one trusted elder that they confess to, and it's a very serious thing if that person gossips (he would permanently be removed from ministry). The Bible says "confess your sins to one another", and we can fulfill that by telling one (and only one) trusted person.

4Him

Administrator
Staff member
The verse just says "Confess your sins to one another", full-stop.

But you don't, do you?
No clause about only confessing to the people you have wronged.

So you don't confess to someone you wronged?
That's terrible. And that's why we usually only confess to one ordained and accountable person.

How about God?

I'm glad you do, but the Bible tells us to confess to other people: "Confess your sins to one another".

So when Jesus gave us an outline of how to pray, when He said to pray to Our Father, and ask to forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us, He didn't know what He was talking about?

We, Christians that is, confess our sins to the One who is able to forgive them. If I wrong someone, I confess that and ask forgiveness from that person.

For the reasons Bob mentioned above, everyone usually has one trusted elder that they confess to, and it's a very serious thing if that person gossips (he would permanently be removed from ministry). The Bible says "confess your sins to one another", and we can fulfill that by telling one (and only one) trusted person.

No one can be trusted more than the One that is able to forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who trespass against us....

Timket

The verse just says "Confess your sins to one another", full-stop.
But you don't, do you?
Sure I do - the Bible says to. So I confess mine to an elder clergyman who is trustworthy and has given me good insight, and has more wisdom and years of experience. And it has been really helpful, but then again everything the Bible commands is helpful.

So you don't confess to someone you wronged?
We do that too.

How about God?

We do that too.

So when Jesus gave us an outline of how to pray, when He said to pray to Our Father, and ask to forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us, He didn't know what He was talking about?

Of course the Lord knew what He's talking about - He's God. And when you pray, that is how you should pray. But we're also called to do things too (evangelize, make disciples, etc.), and one of those things is to "confess our sins to one another" (James 5:16).

Last edited:

4Him

Administrator
Staff member
Sure I do - the Bible says to. So I confess mine to an elder clergyman who is trustworthy and has given me good insight, and has more wisdom and years of experience. And it has been really helpful, but then again everything the Bible commands is helpful.

You confess to "one another"? Does he confess his sins to you?

We do that too.

That isn't enough?

Of course the Lord knew what He's talking about - He's God.

Correct...and He said pray to Our Father to forgive us our trespasses.

Dizerner

How about you?

I'll share my testimony with anyone that will listen.

Timket

Correct...and He said pray to Our Father to forgive us our trespasses.
And he also said (through His holy word) to confess our sins to each other (James 5:16).

That isn't enough?

The Bible says to confess to other humans, so we should try to do that.

You confess to "one another"? Does he confess his sins to you?

The instruction was for the church to confess to each other: that doesn't necessarily mean that the same person I confess to has to confess back to me - nor does it mean I have to tell my sins to everyone in the congregation (that probably wouldn't end well). We can be prudent and designated certain ministers (who are confidential, who will be defrocked if they reveal the slightest thing) as people who are safe to confess to. I confess to a minister, he confesses to another elder, and so on.

Last edited:

modres

How about you?
Isn't James referring to when we sin against another person? In that case, of course we should seek to address the issue and "confess" our sin to that person. In the context, James is also referring to those who became SICK due to sin. Therefore, they should confess their sin to the elders of the church and the elders will pray for the person's healing if necessary.

Beyond this, there may be another brother or sister in the Lord with whom we can confide regarding our sins so that they can pray for us.

modres

It seems based on the fact that you began this thread and have tried to “correct” anyone who you believe to be wrong I’ll assume that you began this thread to simply start a convo in which you could simply correct people.

There are many biblical scholars and commentators who know the original languages who WOULD include what I’ve stated as part of what James meant.

I’m sorry that you can’t find it in the chapter.

I have not been to these CARM forums in years and though I came back today I’m reminded that Christians and religious ppl will argue about anything.
Meanwhile the lost continue to die into hell but sure, let’s argue over what James meant because in doing so there’s opportunity for pride to rear its ugly head over words as we become keyboard warriors.

Thanks for reminding me what a huge waste of time this is as ppl argue over the “prince” of the ppl who is to come and all the rest.

I am once again reminded no opinion is ever changed. All we manage to do is find those with whom we agree and ignore those with whom we do not agree.

Take care everyone. The real world awaits.😎👍🏼

Dant01

Jas 5:16a . . Confess your sins to one another

A word for "sins" isn't in the Greek manuscript; viz: "sins" is what is known as an
editorial insertion; i.e. translators penciled "sins" into the text so that Jas 5:16a in
the above form is an interpretation rather than a translation.

So we can safely omit "sins" and revise that verse to read "Confess to one
another". But the water's not safe for consumption yet.

There's quite a number of key words in the Bible that sometimes trigger a knee
jerk reflex in people's minds and "confess" is one of them.

The Greek word also means to acknowledge, to consent, and/or to agree fully; and
it's found in several passages that have nothing to do with guilt, for example:

"Judas went to the chief priests and the officers of the temple guard and discussed
with them how he might betray Jesus. They were delighted and agreed to give him
money. He consented . ." (Luke 22:4-6)

"At that very time He rejoiced greatly in the Holy Spirit, and said, "I praise Thee, O
Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that Thou didst hide these things from the wise
and intelligent and didst reveal them to babes." (Luke 10:21)

"Every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the
Father." (Phil 2:11)

"He who overcomes will, like them, be dressed in white. I will never blot out his
name from the book of life, but will acknowledge his name before my Father and
his angels." (Rev 3:5)

Seeing as how Jas 5:16a is nested within Jas 5:13-18 then I suggest we really
ought to figure out James' meaning in context with the whole passage instead of

isolating it for a stand-alone proof text to support a spurious proprietary application.
_

Dant01

No Christian should ever attempt to usurp the role of father confessor to another
Christian. If you need cleansing, speak with Christ about it; that's what he's in
Heaven for; seated at the right hand of God.

Heb 4:14-16 . .Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has gone
through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we
profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our
weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are
yet was without sin. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so
that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. (ref. post
No.18)
_