Confess your sins.

Not at all. I regularly confess to my spiritual father.
I'm not going to take your word for it. I want you to obey your own Bible and confess your sins, or are you too proud to admit your sins? Many Christians accuse unbelievers of refusing to face their sinfulness, but it appears that the kettle calls the pot black.
What do you mean by this?
The answer is so obvious, that I'm not going to dignify your stalling with an answer.

Gary Mac

1. Show a Bible verse that commands every believer to confess their sins on demand from any random unbeliever. In general confession is directed toward God, sometimes towards believers or offended parties.

2. Prove that I and no other Christian ever confessed our sins on this forum.

Oh, right, you don't care about anything remotely logical you just want to whine random irrational points.

You have succeeded in lying about the Christians here and irresponsibly misrepresenting the Bible.

Are you too proud to admit those sins, or are you going to be a big hypocrite boasting in your fake humility?
Most of you confess you are a sinner but never repent from sin, never thorough in repentance.

That's between me and my spiritual father at the monastery.
Well, there's at least one sin you don't need to confess: You've disobeyed a Biblical injunction to confess your sins and have done so in front of the whole forum. That's a sin right there. Pride is also a sin, is it not?

Confess to your spiritual father? What might that confession be?
It looks like we'll never know. Actually, I agree that asking people to publicly confess their wrongdoings may be inappropriate in some circumstances, but I didn't come up with the idea of publicly confessing sins; if the Christians here have a complaint about doing so, then they need to take it up with James. Either that or just leave the Christian faith.

Gary Mac

It looks like we'll never know. Actually, I agree that asking people to publicly confess their wrongdoings may be inappropriate in some circumstances, but I didn't come up with the idea of publicly confessing sins; if the Christians here have a complaint about doing so, then they need to take it up with James. Either that or just leave the Christian faith.
Confessing to man ones faults is only a ploy to look nobile toward man.

Confessing to God that you need to be as He is is another matter completly.

ziapueblo

I'm not going to take your word for it.
You don't have to.

. . . or are you too proud to admit your sins?
I'm not proud of my sins, yet, I confess them regularly.

Many Christians accuse unbelievers of refusing to face their sinfulness, but it appears that the kettle calls the pot black.
I agree, many do. Christianity is living a life in Christ and being accusatory is not living as we should.

. . . that I'm not going to dignify your stalling with an answer.
Stalling? I've answered your questions. If you do not like the answer, I can't help you there.

You've disobeyed a Biblical injunction to confess your sins and have done so in front of the whole forum.
Why must I confess my sins to this forum? I acknowledge what I struggle with, selfishness is my big one, but I do not need to confess specifically to anyone here.

Confess to your spiritual father? What might that confession be?
Yes, confess to my spiritual father (a monk at a close by monastery which I visit regularly with my wife and daughter): James 5:16, "Therefore confess your sins to each other (in context an presbyter of the Church) and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective."

Like I asked above, must I confess my sins to all on this forum? I don't expect you to. That is between you and God.

You don't have to.
Your actually demonstrating your confession and claiming confession are very different. I didn't ask anybody to say if they've confessed their sins but to confess their sins.
I'm not proud of my sins...
I never said that you're proud of your sins but that if a person, Christian or otherwise, refuses to confess sins, then that person appears too proud to admit wrongdoing. Many Christians want to hang on to their "holier-than-thou aura" so they may look down their noses at unbelievers claiming moral superiority.
...yet, I confess them regularly.
I will believe it when I see it.
I agree, many do. Christianity is living a life in Christ and being accusatory is not living as we should.
Actually, you should accuse people of doing wrong if you know that they've done wrong. My point is that if you're going to pressure other people especially unbelievers to humbly admit their sins, then you should be willing to practice what you've preached and admit your sins.
Stalling? I've answered your questions. If you do not like the answer, I can't help you there.
You never confessed your sins.
Why must I confess my sins to this forum? I acknowledge what I struggle with, selfishness is my big one, but I do not need to confess specifically to anyone here.
It's your religion. You are commanded to confess your sins.
Yes, confess to my spiritual father (a monk at a close by monastery which I visit regularly with my wife and daughter): James 5:16, "Therefore confess your sins to each other (in context an presbyter of the Church) and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective."

Like I asked above, must I confess my sins to all on this forum? I don't expect you to. That is between you and God.
I must conclude that you are too proud to confess your sins. You want to maintain that "holier-than-thou aura" fearing that you will look bad if your sins become generally known.

Anyway, the Bible and in particular the dogma of the Christ figure are very tough to live up to. Most people, Christian or otherwise, are loathe to openly admit their wrongdoing not to mention that they want to indulge in sex and the other pleasures of the world. Obeying Christ's commandments would interfere with all that carnal pleasure, yet obeying him is seen as essential to the attainment of eternal life. The solution many Christians have arrived at is to interpret the Bible in such a way as to allow for their pursuit of carnal pleasure and to avoid suffering. The end result is Christians living just like unbelievers do the Gospel making little difference in their lifestyles.

ziapueblo

Many Christians want to hang on to their "holier-than-thou aura" so they may look down their noses at unbelievers claiming moral superiority.
I don't disagree with you here.

I will believe it when I see it.
I do not need to confess my sins to you. That is between me and God. I will however, confess to you or anyone else whom I may have wronged.

Actually, you should accuse people of doing wrong if you know that they've done wrong.
I don't disagree with you. This was a response to you statement that some "Christians accuse unbelievers of refusing to face their sinfulness, but it appears that the kettle calls the pot black."

You never confessed your sins.
I need to confess my sins to you? Why?

It's your religion. You are commanded to confess your sins.
Yes I am. Am I commanded to confess my sins to everyone I meet?

I must conclude that you are too proud to confess your sins.
You are entitle to your opinion 👍

You want to maintain that "holier-than-thou aura" fearing that you will look bad if your sins become generally known.
See above 👆

The solution many Christians have arrived at is to interpret the Bible in such a way as to allow for their pursuit of carnal pleasure and to avoid suffering.
This may be the case for some Christians. As Orthodox Christians, we believe as St. Paul writes, "Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord. Let a man examine himself, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For any one who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment upon himself. That is why many of you are weak and ill, and some have died (1 Corinthians 11:27-30)." Those Orthodox Christians who have not examined their conscience while partaking in the Eucharist will be judged, and my even die, and I do not wish to be one of them. This is why I make frequent confessions, I need to, trust me!

The end result is Christians living just like unbelievers do the Gospel making little difference in their lifestyles.
I agree. This is why examining ones conscience, making frequent confession and living a life in Christ is important.

I don't disagree with you here.
No doubt you don't include yourself in that "holier-than-thou" group.
I do not need to confess my sins to you.
Then what are you doing on this thread? It's clearly labeled: "Confess your sins." Do you go to barber shops only to tell the barber you don't want a trim?
That is between me and God.
And God won't censure you for your wrongs while other people might. I then see why God is such a popular idea.
I will however, confess to you or anyone else whom I may have wronged.
Then confess your trolling my thread.
I don't disagree with you. This was a response to you statement that some "Christians accuse unbelievers of refusing to face their sinfulness, but it appears that the kettle calls the pot black."
You may wish to tell all those Christian apologists that Christians as well as unbelievers don't want to avow their sins, and you are one of them.
I need to confess my sins to you? Why?
Why not? You go to a thread entitled "Confess your sins" only to mess with the person who started the thread. That's trolling.
Yes I am. Am I commanded to confess my sins to everyone I meet?
You know full well you are commanded by the Bible to confess your sins. Take it up with James.
This may be the case for some Christians.
About the only Christians who actually obey the Gospel's injunctions to deny oneself are Catholic priests who take vows of celibacy and poverty. Most other Christian groups basically disregard or explain away Christ's preaching celibacy and poverty because they wish to pursue sexual and monetary pleasures.
As Orthodox Christians, we believe as St. Paul writes, "Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord. Let a man examine himself, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For any one who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment upon himself. That is why many of you are weak and ill, and some have died (1 Corinthians 11:27-30)." Those Orthodox Christians who have not examined their conscience while partaking in the Eucharist will be judged, and my even die, and I do not wish to be one of them. This is why I make frequent confessions, I need to, trust me!
LOL--am I supposed to believe this? I was not aware that Orthodox Christians were so uniquely pure among Christians. I'm not surprised at all that an Orthodox Christian would make that claim, however.

By the way, I used to know a man who was an Orthodox Christian. He got high on illegal drugs, got drunk, cursed, stole, and had sex with his girlfriends. After all that, he assured me that he was a "complete Christian." He like you never formally confessed his sins to me. He didn't need to, though.
I agree. This is why examining ones conscience, making frequent confession and living a life in Christ is important.
Yes. It's so important that you won't do it.

Anyway, I'm not the least bit surprised at the refusal of the Christians here to confess their sins. Christians have earned a reputation for hypocrisy and dishonesty. It's one of the biggest criticisms I hear from non Christians. As long as there are people who do wrong and seek to hide it, then there will be a supply of converts for Christian missionaries.

Gary Mac

Then what are you doing on this thread? It's clearly labeled: "Confess your sins." Do you go to barber shops only to tell the barber you don't want a trim?

And God won't censure you for your wrongs while other people might. I then see why God is such a popular idea.

Then confess your trolling my thread.

You may wish to tell all those Christian apologists that Christians as well as unbelievers don't want to avow their sins, and you are one of them.

Why not? You go to a thread entitled "Confess your sins" only to mess with the person who started the thread. That's trolling.

You know full well you are commanded by the Bible to confess your sins. Take it up with James.

About the only Christians who actually obey the Gospel's injunctions to deny oneself are Catholic priests who take vows of celibacy and poverty. Most other Christian groups basically disregard or explain away Christ's preaching celibacy and poverty because they wish to pursue sexual and monetary pleasures.

LOL--am I supposed to believe this? I was not aware that Orthodox Christians were so uniquely pure among Christians. I'm not surprised at all that an Orthodox Christian would make that claim, however.

By the way, I used to know a man who was an Orthodox Christian. He got high on illegal drugs, got drunk, cursed, stole, and had sex with his girlfriends. After all that, he assured me that he was a "complete Christian." He like you never formally confessed his sins to me. He didn't need to, though.

Anyway, I'm not the least bit surprised at the refusal of the Christians here to confess their sins. Christians have earned a reputation for hypocrisy and dishonesty. It's one of the biggest criticisms I hear from non Christians. As long as there are people who do wrong and seek to hide it, then there will be a supply of converts for Christian missionaries.
It is easy to confess your sin but another matter to repent from them, get delivered from sin by the One who takes away the sins of this world to be perfect as He is perfect.

Most confess their sin but never repent of them.

It is easy to confess your sin but another matter to repent from them, get delivered from sin by the One who takes away the sins of this world to be perfect as He is perfect.

Most confess their sin but never repent of them.
That's all a lot of hot air. I don't fall for it.

Gary Mac

That's all a lot of hot air. I don't fall for it.
I agree with you, to you Jesus is just full of hot air. Not many do fall for the way of Jesus for sure.

But for we who do follow and have his way of life, it is the power of God manifest in us, righteous and without sin.

Last edited:

ziapueblo

Did I say that? What I have said is that I regularly confess my sins and daily, which of course I fall more times than not, try to examine my conscience.

I acknowledge when I have wronged someone and ask them for forgiveness. Whether that by my wife, daughter, co-worker or stranger.

About the only Christians who actually obey the Gospel's injunctions to deny oneself are Catholic priests who take vows of celibacy and poverty.
As well as Orthodox monks since a married man may become a priest. Married priests are the norm in Orthodoxy.

Most other Christian groups basically disregard or explain away Christ's preaching celibacy and poverty because they wish to pursue sexual and monetary pleasures.
You have a point and I need to think more about what I spend and on what I spend it on. Am I giving to my local parish the right amount? Can I give more to those in need?

LOL--am I supposed to believe this?
This is what the Orthodox Church teaches. I'm sure many, myself included, don't do the best job of examining their sins daily, although I try.

I was not aware that Orthodox Christians were so uniquely pure among Christians. I'm not surprised at all that an Orthodox Christian would make that claim, however.
Lol, did I say that we Orthodox Christians were uniquely pure? I said we are instructed to "examine himself, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup." That was all.

Really? Have we personally met?

I try my best to do these things.

Christians have earned a reputation for hypocrisy and dishonesty. It's one of the biggest criticisms I hear from non Christians.
I don't disagree with you here. I would add, one of the biggest criticisms of fellow Christians.

Pray for me,

Did I say that? What I have said is that I regularly confess my sins and daily, which of course I fall more times than not, try to examine my conscience.

I acknowledge when I have wronged someone and ask them for forgiveness. Whether that by my wife, daughter, co-worker or stranger.

As well as Orthodox monks since a married man may become a priest. Married priests are the norm in Orthodoxy.

You have a point and I need to think more about what I spend and on what I spend it on. Am I giving to my local parish the right amount? Can I give more to those in need?

This is what the Orthodox Church teaches. I'm sure many, myself included, don't do the best job of examining their sins daily, although I try.

Lol, did I say that we Orthodox Christians were uniquely pure? I said we are instructed to "examine himself, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup." That was all.

Really? Have we personally met?

I try my best to do these things.

I don't disagree with you here. I would add, one of the biggest criticisms of fellow Christians.

Pray for me,
OK, if you're not going to confess your sins, then I will take note of your refusal and move on.