Confirmation Bias

Whateverman

You are guilty of it. I am, too. So is Acosta and Hannity.

What are yours?
My what? Opinions? Biases?

Most people will exhibit confirmation bias about all kinds of subjects, unless they're careful. The trick is that you're generally unaware of when you're engaging it.

Electric Skeptic

What are yours?
Not really an answerable question. If we knew of instances of cultural bias in our positions or reasoning, we'd correct them. The instances we have - and we all have them - we obviously don't realise are confirmation bias.

Furion

What are yours?
I have confirmed my biases of atheists by watching and observing them in their natural habit in the public sphere, which often manifests on christian message boards.

I looked for something to dispatch the biases but saw nothing more than outliers, often proclaiming "not all atheists believe that" on a few subjects.

I will continue my journey and may write a book about my adventures in atheism.

Authentic Nouveau

I have confirmed my biases of atheists by watching and observing them in their natural habit in the public sphere, which often manifests on christian message boards.

I looked for something to dispatch the biases but saw nothing more than outliers, often proclaiming "not all atheists believe that" on a few subjects.

One out of 3 atheists is just as biased as the other 2.

Backup

What is your opinion on atheists?

I know for a fact Christians believe things that are objectively not true.

Authentic Nouveau

People with indefensible positions often perform this kind of epistemic leveling maneuver.

What are your indefensible positions?
Your flamboyant bias shows. Somebody disagrees with you, your unthrottled bias says their position is indefensible.

Your bias is indefensible.

LifeIn

I know for a fact Christians believe things that are objectively not true.
All Christians, or just some Christians? If you put the word "some" in there, the statement is almost certainly true. But without that word, I am fairly certain it is false.

Backup

All Christians, or just some Christians? If you put the word "some" in there, the statement is almost certainly true. But without that word, I am fairly certain it is false.
no

All the magic stuff Christians believe is objectively not true.

I guess there are some “cultural“ Christians that don’t believe in magic, but I don’t thing either of us are talking about them.

LifeIn

no

All the magic stuff Christians believe is objectively not true.

I guess there are some “cultural“ Christians that don’t believe in magic, but I don’t thing either of us are talking about them.
I think you engaging in circular reasoning by calling stuff magic. That's what you are trying to prove, remember? You can't assume what you are trying to prove as a given.

Backup

I think you engaging in circular reasoning by calling stuff magic. That's what you are trying to prove, remember? You can't assume what you are trying to prove as a given.
There is no magic today.

To claim there was magic in the past is dubious and not history. There is no magic in history.

Believing in selective magic stories from the past is just special pleading, and not worth taking seriously.

You need to prove magic exists now, first. Good luck with that.

LifeIn

There is no magic today.

To claim there was magic in the past is dubious and not history. There is no magic in history.

Believing in selective magic stories from the past is just special pleading, and not worth taking seriously.

You need to prove magic exists now, first. Good luck with that.
As I said, that is circular reasoning. You started out saying that Christians believe things that are objectively not true. When I asked if you meant just some Christians, you said no. That means you think there are things that all Christians believe that are objectively not true. But your support of that statement amounts to saying that Christians believe in magic. Of course I dispute that description, so I have no need to prove that magic exists. But you are the one with the burden of proof that can only be proven by demonstrating something that all Christians believe that is objectively not true. Good luck with that.