Contra Apionem Question

I liked the Loeb's edition translations of Josephus, and you can fine them online for free.

My guess is that Josephus new some Greek, because he was educated and Greek was a lingua franca in the broader region. Plus, he shows various Greek concepts and history in his work, like his mention of the Stoics and fate, and his knowledge of the Seleucid Dynasty. Judea had been under the Hellenistic sphere of influence for about 300 years, following Alexander the Great's subjugation of the region.

Soon before the Jewish rebellion of c.66- 70 AD started, he had been to Rome to advocate for Rome to release some Jewish priests from captivity.

When discussing this text today, I came across the following passage with the following translation:
The part that I have a question about in the translation is the phrase "to assist me in learning the Greek tongue." Is this text saying that Josephus did not know Greek as this translation seems to say? It seems to me to be saying instead that Josephus utilized helpers to work with him on the Greek language. Thoughts?
I think that translation is much too strong, at least on the face of it.

Back