Controversy over country music star's patriotic bible

LifeIn

The bible is to be called the "God Bless the USA" bible. In addition to scriptures, it will contain the Constitution, the Pledge of Allegiance, the Bill of Rights, and the chorus of country music star, Lee Greenwood's song, "God Bless the USA." However, due to pressure from many Christian pastors and groups, the publisher, HarperColins Christian Publishing, has decided not to go forward with the project. The complaints have been that this bible is a toxic mix of American Nationalism and partisan politics, and a vehicle to promote Lee Greenwood. The country music star says he is going ahead with the project by self-publishing the "God Bless the USA" bible using the King James version, since that is in the public domain. What do you think? Is this an appropriate use of scriptures? Is it disrespectful of the Word of God? Or is it just much ado about nothing?

Kade Rystalmane

I'm not a big fan of the Lee Greenwood song as written, though I understand the overall sentiment. The main problem I have is in the chorus.

And I'm proud to be an American
Where at least I know I'm free
And I won't forget the men who died
Who gave that right to me

The men who died for this country did not give us any rights at all. God did. Those men died to protect our God-given rights just as the Constitution protects those rights.

I personally would not purchase that Bible even though I'm a fan of and often use the KJV. It tries too much to associate America with Christianity which, while our Constitution is based on Biblical principles, America was not, is not, and never will be a "Christian nation". There is only one Christian nation, the kingdom/church of Christ.

In Truth and Love.

Timtofly

I'm not a big fan of the Lee Greenwood song as written, though I understand the overall sentiment. The main problem I have is in the chorus.

And I'm proud to be an American
Where at least I know I'm free
And I won't forget the men who died
Who gave that right to me

The men who died for this country did not give us any rights at all. God did. Those men died to protect our God-given rights just as the Constitution protects those rights.

I personally would not purchase that Bible even though I'm a fan of and often use the KJV. It tries too much to associate America with Christianity which, while our Constitution is based on Biblical principles, America was not, is not, and never will be a "Christian nation". There is only one Christian nation, the kingdom/church of Christ.

In Truth and Love.
Are these rights God given? Life. Carnal flesh is a right? Liberty. The ability to do as one pleases? The pursuit of happiness. This is the worse one. Where does Scripture claim: blessed are those who are happy?

As for being patriotic, that is a privilege. It us not a right. So yes, if this country sends people out to defend national rights, that is how these rights are given.

I think the framers of the constitution may have been getting ahead of themselves, by claiming these rights as inalienable from God.

The point about Lee's version is that he thanks "his lucky stars". He should be giving thanks to God. Hope he at least changes this part if placed in the same cover as God's Word.

I have the cd. I do not need this particular patriotic collection.