Cookbooks

I started my Christmas Shopping. One item is: The Tasha Tudor Family Cookbook by Winslow Tudor.

I love cookbooks. I will admit I have never heard of this person but the book looks inviting. I must admit these days I prefer the simple 4 ingredient cookbooks on my shelves, but one I use has gone missing. Nowhere to be found. That is annoying. I have also given cookbooks. These years we are not into Xmas giving for adults, just the grandkids. We help the children out during the year. If we brought for all it would be too costly.

Though cooking hampers are also great. I did a salad one once, found really attractive salad bowls in op shops, typed up various recipes, put things like salad servers or ingredients with it.

With the two youngest grandchildren last year they got a cooking set to leave here to use - it had child friendly knives, graters, peelers etc. They also get books to add to their libraries.

I love cookbooks. I will admit I have never heard of this person but the book looks inviting. I must admit these days I prefer the simple 4 ingredient cookbooks on my shelves, but one I use has gone missing. Nowhere to be found. That is annoying. I have also given cookbooks. These years we are not into Xmas giving for adults, just the grandkids. We help the children out during the year. If we brought for all it would be too costly.

Though cooking hampers are also great. I did a salad one once, found really attractive salad bowls in op shops, typed up various recipes, put things like salad servers or ingredients with it.

With the two youngest grandchildren last year they got a cooking set to leave here to use - it had child friendly knives, graters, peelers etc. They also get books to add to their libraries.
Tasha Tudor became my favorite artist when I first discovered her in the very early sixties.I used to buy her Christmas cards. Later I discovered another artist: Gyo Fujikawa. Both artists specialized in illustrating children's books. I wanted to illustrate children's books someday, but my father was very oppposed to it, and being a Mormon I laid aside that barely possible future to marry and raise children.

I thought I should only give to children and discussed that with my daughter and she opposed the idea which I still think is a better option.

Your gifts for grandchildren sound absolutely marvelous!

Tasha Tudor became my favorite artist when I first discovered her in the very early sixties.I used to buy her Christmas cards. Later I discovered another artist: Gyo Fujikawa. Both artists specialized in illustrating children's books. I wanted to illustrate children's books someday, but my father was very oppposed to it, and being a Mormon I laid aside that barely possible future to marry and raise children.

I thought I should only give to children and discussed that with my daughter and she opposed the idea which I still think is a better option.

Maybe you can still do drawings and illustrations for gifts. I know I love personal gifts that come from the heart. We all agreed to the plan and so Christmas is just presents for children, as most of us have all the stuff we need. We tend to enjoy the family gatherings as adults so much more.

I know it took us months to clean up mum's place after she died. It made me very aware of having too much stuff and I have had garage sales, given stuff to family and friends, taking things to the op shop trying to reduce the stuff. Yet I still have things that need clearing out, at present do not want to do it. Hopefully I have more time. I do not want to leave a massive burden to our children to clean up.

Oh they all have fun cooking with my husband. In fact, when our youngest son got MS and the adults were trying to pretend it was all Ok, we taught their boys to punch the bread dough as if it was MS, to get some of their anxiety out. We said they could say what they liked to us and that we were like them. We wanted to make their daddy well again and were upset that we couldn't. We didn't like MS either. The best time is when they are altogether decorating biscuits or gingerbread houses. The age gap between them disappears.

Thank you for your kind words.

There is a painter in Tassie whose work I love. She is visually impaired Kataraina Koroheke.

Visually impaired? Wow! The dog painting is excellent!

Eşref Armağan is a blind painter of Turkish origin. Born without sight to an impoverished family, he taught himself to write and print. He has painted using oil paints for roughly thirty-five years. Using a braille stylus to etch the outline of his drawing, Armağan requires total silence to create art. Wikipedia

I found a book about him that I gave my daughter because she teaches blind and visually impaired children.

BTW, I have drawn pictures for children, but I don't think any of them were kept. I remember drawing a can of Coca Cola for one grandson. I really liked it. Other times I've made a lot of paper dolls.

Last edited:
Visually impaired? Wow! The dog painting is excellent!

Eşref Armağan is a blind painter of Turkish origin. Born without sight to an impoverished family, he taught himself to write and print. He has painted using oil paints for roughly thirty-five years. Using a braille stylus to etch the outline of his drawing, Armağan requires total silence to create art. Wikipedia

I found a book about him that I gave my daughter because she teaches blind and visually impaired children.

BTW, I have drawn pictures for children, but I don't think any of them were kept. I remember drawing a can of Coca Cola for one grandson. I really liked it. Other times I've made a lot of paper dolls.
I love the colours she uses and the way she uses them.

That story is absolutely amazzing,

I love paper dolls. We got a framed picture of a butterfly from one grandson and he gave Kimbo a drawing for his birthday. We want to get a frame for it.

I tried to send a copy it didn't work.

Last edited:
Back