Cornelius not regenerate previously

brightfame52

You still ignore scripture

Nope

You still are ignoring the facts

Cornelius received life, a purified heart, the holy Spirit at Peter's sermon when he heard words by which he was to be saved

Your entire approach at understanding scripture is filled with error after error.

for You have no regard for context or scriptural harmony and pick whatever verse you believe you can pour your

theology into and then ignore anything contrary to it
You are ignoring scripture.

TomFL

You are ignoring scripture.
Scripture showed otherwise

Cornelius received life, a purified heart, the holy Spirit at Peter's sermon when he heard words by which he was to be saved

Your entire approach at understanding scripture is filled with error after error.

for You have no regard for context or scriptural harmony and pick whatever verse you believe you can pour your

brightfame52

I have shown you plenty of scripture and you have ignored them.

TomFL

I have shown you plenty of scripture and you have ignored them.
No you showed your out of context misinterpretations

brightfame52

No you showed your out of context misinterpretations

Cornelius feared God. That is a Spiritually circumcised heart given in regeneration.

TomFL

Cornelius feared God. That is a Spiritually circumcised heart given in regeneration.
Nope

If he was regenerate his heart already been purified. He would have already had life and he would have already been indwelt by the spirit and not have needed Peter to tell him words by which he would be saved

Scripture however is clear he received those things at Peters sermon

brightfame52

Nope

If he was regenerate his heart already been purified. He would have already had life and he would have already been indwelt by the spirit and not have needed Peter to tell him words by which he would be saved

Scripture however is clear he received those things at Peters sermon
Yes and he was already justified

brightfame52

Sorry you provide no proof of that
The bible said he was a just man did it not? Look Acts 10 22

22 And they said, Cornelius the centurion, a just man, and one that feareth God, and of good report among all the nation of the Jews, was warned from God by an holy angel to send for thee into his house, and to hear words of thee.

ReverendRV

Recall regeneration as defined by many Calvinist theologians and lexicons

provides for a purified heart and New life

If it can be shown Cornelius received these during Peter's sermon

then it is established he was not regenerate before

thus

Acts 15:8–9 (KJV 1900)
8 And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us; 9 And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith.

we note Cornelius received the spirit and had his heart purified by faith

and

Acts 11:15–18 (KJV 1900)
15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning. 16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost. 17 Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God? 18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

at that time had repentance unto life
Seth Proton always brought up John 20:22 NIV; And with that he breathed on them and said, "Receive the Holy Spirit.

This is an Old Covenant example of the Holy Ghost working in/with people. Peter was not Born Again when Jesus breathed the Holy Ghost on the Disciples before he was Crucified...

John Gill's Commentary "he breathed on them"; in allusion to God's breathing the breath of life into man, at his creation; or rather, to the Spirit himself, who is the breath of God, and proceeds from him, as from the Father; and who breathes both upon persons in regeneration, and in qualifying for ministerial service, at the instance and influence of Christ: and such an opinion the Jews have of the Spirit of the Messiah, https://biblehub.com/commentaries/john/20-22.htm
Which instance of Peter receiving the Holy Ghost was Regenerative/Ministerial? Under the Old Covenant, the Holy Ghost would come upon Saints the way it happened with Samson. Jesus told Nicodemus that the Spirit would come and go; that's the Old Covenant example of Regeneration, a Hit and Run Regeneration...

Last edited:

TomFL

Seth Proton always brought up John 20:22 NIV; And with that he breathed on them and said, "Receive the Holy Spirit.

This is an Old Covenant example of the Holy Ghost working in/with people. Peter was not Born Again when Jesus breathed the Holy Ghost on the Disciples before he was Crucified...

Which instance of Peter receiving the Holy Ghost was Regenerative/Ministerial? Under the Old Covenant, the Holy Ghost would come upon Saints the way it happened with Samson. Jesus told Nicodemus that the Spirit would come and go; that's the Old Covenant example of Regeneration, a Hit and Run Regeneration...
Hit and run regeneration ?

The holy spirit did come upon men in the old testament

but it was not the permanent indwelling of the new testament

and it was generally an anointing for some particular task or service

not for making one a new creation

ReverendRV

Hit and run regeneration ?

The holy spirit did come upon men in the old testament

but it was not the permanent indwelling of the new testament

and it was generally an anointing for some particular task or service

not for making one a new creation
Agreed; except the last sentence...

So what Happened when Jesus breathed the Holy Spirit on the Disciples?

TomFL

Agreed; except the last sentence...

So what Happened when Jesus breathed the Holy Spirit on the Disciples?
I would not call that an old testament practice

Many believe however it was a temporary filling with the Spirit

Little is written about it so it is hard to be dogmatic on it

But i would have no problem seeing it as an anointing for service

ReverendRV

I would not call that an old testament practice

Many believe however it was a temporary filling with the Spirit

Little is written about it so it is hard to be dogmatic on it

But i would have no problem seeing it as an anointing for service
Well, we're close then. I would call it an Old Covenant example of Regeneration/Ministerial Anointing...

If you said it was an Anointing for Service, I was going to ask why the Disciple's preformed Ministerial Acts before this Anointing; but for now I'm satisfied with our close compromise...

TomFL

Well, we're close then. I would call it an Old Covenant example of Regeneration/Ministerial Anointing...

If you said it was an Anointing for Service, I was going to ask why the Disciple's preformed Ministerial Acts before this Anointing; but for now I'm satisfied with our close compromise...
Ok

God bless my friend