Covenant of grace

Carbon

The covenant of grace is absolute, and not conditional to us.
For being made with Christ, as representative of His seed, all the conditions of it were laid upon Him, and fulfilled by Him.

Wherefore, all that remains of it to be accomplished, is, the fulfilling of the promises unto Him and His spiritual seed; even as it would have been in the case of the first covenant, if once Adam had fulfilled the condition thereof.

Believers are justified immediately, by the righteousness of Christ, without any righteousness of their own intervening; even as all men are condemned, upon Adam's sin, before they have done any good or evil in their own persons: 18 Therefore, as one trespass led to condemnation for all men, so one act of righteousness leads to justification and life for all men. Romans 5.
And thus believers are righteous before God with the self same righteousness which was wrought by Jesus Christ, in His fulfilling the covenant. The which righteousness is not imputed to them in it's effects only; so as their faith, repentance, and sincere obedience, are therefore accepted as their evangelical righteousness, on which they are justified; but it is imputed to them in itself, even as Adam's sin was.

Boston.

Carbon

According to scripture, the elect’s believing, repenting and obedience, do belong to the promissory part of the covenant.
They are benefits promised in the covenant by God unto Christ the Surety as a reward for fulfilling the covenant. According to God’s justice they are beyond all possibility of failure.
Your people will volunteer freely in the day of Your power;.....Psalm 110:3.

All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out. John 6.

Carbon

Our part in this is only to take hold of God’s covenant made already, which is offered and exhibited to us in the gospel.

We fulfill no part of the condition of the covenant. So your free will will do you no good unless you can use it to live a perfect life but that wouldn’t work either because of original sin.

Faith and obedience are benefits promised in the covenant, upon the condition of it as has already been explained. And in virtue of the promise of the covenant, they are produced in the elect.

Theo1689

Our part in this is only to take hold of God’s covenant made already, which is offered and exhibited to us in the gospel.

We fulfill no part of the condition of the covenant. So your free will will do you no good unless you can use it to live a perfect life but that wouldn’t work either because of original sin.

That's what people don't get...
The Son, our High Priest, presents His sacrifice to the Father.
We are NOT part of the transaction!
We're too busy being "dead in transgressions and sins.

Jesus doesn't give the sacrifice for us to "choose" to present if we want.
Jesus doesn't ask for our "permission" to present the sacrifice.
He simply does it.

Carbon

How can you be sure you are one of the elect?
“Listen to Me, you who know righteousness,
A people in whose heart is My law; Isaiah 51:7.

the elect acknowledge Christ’ righteousness as their only righteousness in the sight of God.

The elect have the Law of God written in their hearts, and this law rules from within them.

those of you who believe their free will got them there or is going to get them there are greatly mistaken.

The Law required holiness of nature as a condition for life. So do you believe you can will yourself holy and fulfill the requirement of the Law?

Who can say, “I have cleansed my heart,
I am pure from my sin”?Pro 20:9.

what keeps the unconverted elect from dying in their sins or stops them from running away from God? And what preserves them in grace? The promises of the covenant.

“Truly is not my house so with God?
For He has made an everlasting covenant with me,
Ordered in all things, and secured;
For all my salvation and all my desire,
Will He not indeed make it grow?
2 Sam 23.

Carbon

That's what people don't get...
The Son, our High Priest, presents His sacrifice to the Father.
We are NOT part of the transaction!
We're too busy being "dead in transgressions and sins.

Jesus doesn't give the sacrifice for us to "choose" to present if we want.
Jesus doesn't ask for our "permission" to present the sacrifice.
He simply does it.
Amen!

Carbon

I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will be careful to observe My ordinances Eze 36:27.
Even though the elect in the natural state are not capable of believing, nor do they have a real interest, yet, Jesus knows them that are His.
Jesus having the administration the covenant in His hand, does not fail in accomplishing them. Though they are dead in their sins and can do nothing for themselves, He does not neglect His own cause but will see them accomplished.

Boston

Last edited:

brightfame52

carbon

The covenant of grace is absolute, and not conditional to us.
For being made with Christ, as representative of His seed, all the conditions of it were laid upon Him, and fulfilled by Him.

So when was this covenant made with Christ ? Can you explain what conditions were laid upon Him please ?

G

guest1

carbon

So when was this covenant made with Christ ? Can you explain what conditions were laid upon Him please ?
You don’t get to ask questions until you are willing and able to answer them yourself . What’s good for the goose is good for the gander

hope this helps !!!

preacher4truth

I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will be careful to observe My ordinances Eze 36:27.
Even though the elect in the natural state are not capable of believing, nor do they have a real interest, yet, Jesus knows them that are His.
Jesus having the administration the covenant in His hand, does not fail in accomplishing them. Though they are dead in their sins and can do nothing for themselves, He does not neglect His own cause but will see them accomplished.

Boston
Some professing believers have a problem with God causing them to do anything, they cherish their "free" will and think it is uncouth for God to violate it (literally it is to be against biblically being made alive, regenerated &c Ephesians 2:5)

Philippians 2:12-13 is a fulfillment to an extent of Ezekiel 36:27. It is God working in us to both will and do. Terrible violation of our wills is it not?

And what of Psalm 23:2 where David acknowledges God making him lie down in green pastures?

If it weren't for the "...but God..." portion of Ephesians 2:4 we'd all be justly damned, for He did all the causing and all the saving.

brightfame52

I think you know the answers.
Why don’t you contribute with the answers?

Communication, could be the start of something good.
You started a good thread, I will comment as it goes forward. Can you please answer the questions, after all you started the thread. I do have some to say after you answer.

G

guest1

You started a good thread, I will comment as it goes forward. Can you please answer the questions, after all you started the thread. I do have some to say after you answer.
Sure we will answer all your questions once you answer our questions and define the following:

What is Faith-
What is The Gospel-
What is Grace-

These are questions asked several times of you but you never answered those questions. So now is your opportunity !

Carbon

Some professing believers have a problem with God causing them to do anything, they cherish their "free" will and think it is uncouth for God to violate it (literally it is to be against biblically being made alive, regenerated &c Ephesians 2:5)
Yes many do. It’s a violation of their free will.
the Arminian may say God violates mans free will by regeneration, but, mans will is more in violation and constantly badgered, in Arminianism.

think about it, Arminians agree man is born a sinner (that’s why we sin), they have no desire for God and are at enmity with Him.
But yet, according to them through prevenient grace he persuades and woos people all the way to the point they can’t take it anymore so they make the right decision.
If a man was willing, it wouldn’t take, say, months or years to come to make a decision. If they are not willing, then anything done to persuade them is against their free will.

preacher4truth

the Arminian may say God violates mans free will by regeneration, but, mans will is more in violation and constantly badgered, in Arminianism.

think about it, Arminians agree man is born a sinner (that’s why we sin), they have no desire for God and are at enmity with Him.
But yet, according to them through prevenient grace he persuades and woos people all the way to the point they can’t take it anymore so they make the right decision.
If a man was willing, it wouldn’t take, say, months or years to come to make a decision. If they are not willing, then anything done to persuade them is against their free will.
What do we say to a person when they make the right decision? "Congrats, you did it!"

And there is false free willy teaching in its logical end.

brightfame52

So when did God charge Christ with the sins of the elect in regards to the everlasting covenant ?

preacher4truth

So when did God charge Christ with the sins of the elect in regards to the everlasting covenant ?
In time.

Galatians 4:4-7 "4 But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law, 5 to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons. 6 And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba! Father!” 7 So you are no longer a slave, but a son, and if a son, then an heir through God."

G

guest1

In time.

Galatians 4:4-7 "4 But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law, 5 to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons. 6 And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba! Father!” 7 So you are no longer a slave, but a son, and if a son, then an heir through God."
Amen brother amen !