Daily Devotions

Predestined

TRUSTING JESUS
Edgar Page Stites, 1836–1921

Trust in the Lord, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed. Delight thyself also in the Lord; and He shall give thee the desires of thine heart. Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass. (Psalm 37:3–5 KJV)

“Simply trusting every day” along a “stormy way,” “in danger” when “the path is drear” “if the way is clear”—what a valuable lesson for each of us to learn. We are so prone to look ahead in life to see how our problems will be solved or where our path will lead. We waste much time and energy in worrying instead of simply trusting, delighting, and committing our ways to the Lord. That’s how to find His strength and wisdom to face our problems and responsibilities for tomorrow and all the days ahead. Edgar Stites, an obscure but active lay worker, had learned that spiritual lesson. He discovered that “while He leads I cannot fall.” God’s way in our lives is always far superior to the path we might have chosen.

The writer of “Trusting Jesus” was a faithful member of the Methodist church in Cape May, New Jersey. After serving in the Civil War, he worked as a riverboat pilot and later as a home missionary in the Dakotas. He wrote several other hymns, including the very popular “Beulah Land.”

Mr. Stites’ poem first appeared in a newspaper in 1876. It was then given to evangelist D. L. Moody, who in turn asked his associate, Ira Sankey, to compose a suitable tune for the words. The hymn was widely used in the Moody-Sankey evangelistic services, and through the years Christians have responded to the implicit, child-like faith expressed so well in this simple but inspiring hymn.

Simply trusting ev’ry day, trusting thru a stormy way; even when my faith is small, trusting Jesus—that is all.
Brightly does His Spirit shine into this poor heart of mine; while He leads I cannot fall, trusting Jesus—that is all.
Singing if my way is clear, praying if the path be drear; if in danger, for Him call, trusting Jesus—that is all.
Chorus: Trusting as the moments fly, trusting as the days go by; trusting Him whate’er befall, trusting Jesus—that is all.

For Today:​

Deuteronomy 33:25; Your bars shall be iron and bronze; and as your days, so shall your strength be.

Psalm 84:11; For the LORD God is a sun and shield; he bestows favor and honor. No good thing does the LORD withhold from those who walk uprightly.

Proverbs 3:5; Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not rely on your own insight.

Ephesians 6:16; besides all these, taking the shield of faith, with which you can quench all the flaming darts of the evil one.

1 John 5:4-5 For whatever is born of God is victorious over the world; and this is the victory that conquers the world, even our faith.
5 Who is it that is victorious over [that conquers] the world but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God [who adheres to, trusts in, and relies on that fact]?

Consciously commit every problem or concern to Jesus, trusting Him fully to guide you in the right way and deliver you from all useless worry. Sing this truth as you go—

PSALM 8:4–5
What is man that you are mindful of him, and the son of man that you visit him? For you have made him a little lower than the angels, and you have crowned him with glory and honor.

The night sky casts a divine, pensive spell over us, as people have found through the ages; God designed it to do so. David the psalmist, who gazed out upon those stars during so many nights of watching over his sheep, must have continually marveled. And he must have realized who was watching over him. As he considered his Lord, according to the psalm, he finally was brought to consider himself. “Who am I that I would be worthy of even a thin moment of Your attention?” he wondered. “I look upon the crown of Your creation, and I wonder: How is it that You could place a crown upon me?”

For David, of course, a royal destiny did beckon. But true worship has this effect upon us: It simultaneously humbles and uplifts us. In other words, worship places us exactly where we should be, in the realization that we are small, yet a little lower than the angels; we are tiny creatures in the presence of God, but tiny creatures whom He adores.

FINDING MOMENTS of REFUGE
in the PRESENCE of GOD

The Devil’s Lies​

[Jesus said] You are of your father, the devil, and it is your will to practice the lusts and gratify the desires [which are characteristic] of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a falsehood, he speaks what is natural to him, for he is a liar [himself] and the father of lies and of all that is false. —JOHN 8:44

The devil lies. In fact, the devil doesn’t know how to speak the truth. Most Christians know that—and yet they still listen to his evil words. Sometimes the lies seem to just pop into our minds for no apparent reason; sometimes Satan even speaks to us through other people. He puts something critical or hurtful into their minds about us, and they speak it out for us to hear.

If we listen and accept what we hear, our enemy rejoices. If we listen long enough to the deceptive information we have taken in, we will find ourselves facing serious problems. Instead of listening and absorbing the untruths and satanic deceptions, you can look at what Jesus did and follow His example. After fasting for forty days in the wilderness, Satan tempted Him three times.

Each time He defeated the devil by declaring, “It is written,” and quoting the Word of God. No wonder the devil fled from Him (see Matthew 4:1-11). Learn the truth of God’s Word, and every time Satan lies to you, quote a scripture back to him. Learn to talk back to the devil! Too many people don’t know how to use the Word to defeat Satan’s lies.

Many people—even Christians—don’t seem to realize that they can refuse to listen to that voice. Too many people don’t realize that the devil attacks their minds with negative or wrong thoughts. It’s his nature to lie; he is out to enslave everyone. I encourage people to realize that they are not alone in their spiritual battles—their minds are not the only ones under attack.

Satan comes against everyone. His entire goal is to kill, steal, and destroy, but Jesus came that we might have and enjoy our lives abundantly (see John 10:10). By becoming more conscious of the spiritual weapons the Lord has made available to us and learning how to use them, we can gain victory. We can break the strongholds the devil has built in our minds.

The Bible tells us that when we know the truth, that truth will free us from Satan’s strongholds (see John 8:32). In the illustration of Mary, I mentioned that the devil had whispered to her for years that all men were alike and wanted to hurt women and take advantage of them. As Mary read the Bible and prayed more effectively, she learned that it was the devil who had pushed her around. Now she knows she can be free.

As Mary develops in her relationship with God, she is equipping herself to win the battle for her mind. She’s learning more about God and more about how to pray effectively. “Jesus has become my friend,” Mary said. She had known Him as her Savior and worshiped Him as God, but this was a new revelation to her.

One day she read Hebrews 2:18 in a totally new light. It says of Jesus, “Because He Himself [in His humanity] has suffered in being tempted (tested and tried), He is able . . . to run to the cry of (assist, relieve) those who are being tempted.” That passage came alive to Mary because she saw Jesus not only as God, but as her friend—one who knows what it’s like to be tempted and who knows what it is like to suffer.

“I knew He died on the cross, but I had not thought of all the pain He went through for me. To realize that He understands my pain and problems was a new thought to me.”

Mary also says that when negative, mean, or ugly thoughts come into her head, she is learning to stop those thoughts. “Jesus wouldn’t talk that way. Jesus wouldn’t be critical and judgmental, so that’s the devil fighting for my mind.” Mary hasn’t won all the battles, but she has learned to fight the great deceiver. Every time she wins one battle, the next one becomes easier.

By Joyce Meyer

CALL UPON GOD​

PROVERBS 2:6
The LORD gives wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding.

The prerequisite to obtaining help in dealing with our troubles is to realize that we lack sufficient wisdom to sort them out! The argument is this: “When facing trials, it is important to know how to cope with them. The only way we will be able to understand these trials and respond to them properly is by asking for the wisdom that only God can give.” When our friends and loved ones are going through trials, we may think we see what God is doing through the ordeal. But when we are the sufferers, when we are the ones going through the fire, viewing the situation from God’s perspective is a little more difficult. For this reason we are to ask God for wisdom.

As James motivates the troubled believer to seek wisdom, he describes God in such a way as to make us wonder why we have waited so long to reach out for His help.

We know from the Scriptures that God is the source of true wisdom. He is a good God who is not partial to any. He will always answer the prayer for wisdom, never turning away such a request. He may not always answer on our time schedule, but He always answers.

By David Jeremiah
HELPING PEOPLE WORLDWIDE EXPERIENCE the MANIFEST PRESENCE of GOD.

It Takes a Lifetime​

But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.
Hebrews 5:14

It has been said that the new birth takes but a moment; spiritual maturity takes a lifetime.

Nowhere is this more clearly demonstrated than in the parable of the sower where Jesus warns his disciples about the many different ways in which God's word would be received.

He said some would fall by the wayside, being snatched up by the devil as soon as the word entered their heart. Others would receive the word with joy but fall away during a time of temptation. Still others would hear the word, yet remain entangled in the cares of the world, making it impossible for them to bring any spiritual fruit to maturity. Finally, Jesus told of the one who, "having heard the word with a noble and good heart, and bear fruit with patience." Luke 8:11–15

Spiritual maturity is a continual process of growth that takes time and patience. And you remain rooted in the word and nourished through prayer and fellowship with the Lord, you will see faith grow and mature as never before.

By David Jeremiah
Every day With Jesus

January 19. "Believes The Word"​

I believe your commandments. Psalm 119:66
and they believe that Scripture. John 2:22

The Greek and Hebrew words for "believe" combine to give us a picture of faith that not only requires our participation, but provides us a foundation upon which we can stand and be established.

Pisteuo is the Greek for form of the word here used for believe. It means to trust in, have faith in, be fully convinced of, and rely on. It expresses reliance upon something in a personal trust that provides obedience. The Hebrew word here used believe is 'aman and means to be firm, stable, established, and fully persuaded. Second Chronicles 20:20 the word appears three times and can be translated: "be established in the Lord... And you will be established."

The key to being established in the Lord is becoming grounded in his word. Does our faith seem weak? Faith comes by hearing The Word of God Romans 10:17. Please sometimes feel as if our life is pills shifting sand? Let us build our lives on Jesus – the word John 1:14. And, as we believe in the Lord we will be established.

Jack Hayford "Living the Spirit Filled Life"

Be strong and of good courage, do not be afraid of them; for the Lord your God, he is the one who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you..Deuteronomy 31:6

How many emotions are swirling around inside You? In the old days, we were taught human personalities were composed of six emotions that mixed together, like primary colors, to create a range of feelings. A study in the "Proceedings of the national Academy of science of the United States of America" suggests that there are 27 basic emotions. The list is too long to print here, but it includes amusement, anxiety, awe, boredom, calmness, disgust, envy, excitement, fear, horror, sadness, and sympathy.

Our emotions can overwhelm us, but we shouldn't let them overwhelm truth of God. When you experience fear, sadness, anxiety, or confusion, turn your attention to the word of God. There are two chapters in the Bible, Deuteronomy 31 and Joshua one, where the Lord tells us again and again Go will never leave us sake us.

These are good chapters to read when your emotions are giving you trouble. Don't give in to your swirling emotions, place your trust in God's comforting presence to lead and guide you.

David Jeremiah – Every Day With Jesus

Last edited:

January 21. Pray Persistently​

You lust and do not have; so you commit murder. You are envious and cannot obtain; so you fight and quarrel. You do not have because you do not ask. (James 4:2)

About twenty years ago, this next sentence changed my life: "You do not have because you do not ask God."

This short verse opened a door for me to discover the life-changing power of persistent prayer. At that time in my life, I was stressed out about a lot of different things.

I was trying to make my ministry grow, trying to make my husband do this or that, trying to make my kids act a certain way, trying to make other people do the things I wanted, trying to basically do absolutely everything on my own.

As you can probably guess, it wasn't working! As a burned-out, frustrated young Christian, I realized one day that living in my own strength was useless. I needed to take my problems to God. In other words, I needed to pray more! When we understand God's love for us and His plan for us, then we can begin to realize the doors that He wants to open for us.

But we'll only realize these things when we're constantly talking with Him, listening to His voice, and growing deeper in our relationship with Him.

In Matthew 7:7 Jesus tells us, "Keep on asking and it will be given you; keep on seeking and you will find; keep on knocking [reverently] and [the door] will be opened to you."

So many times, when we reach the end of our rope, we turn to prayer, but when our prayers are not instantly answered, we give up. Today, I want to encourage you to not only pray, but to pray persistently. Don't stress out trying to make things happen on your own. Give it all to God as you pray.

Remember, He promises that when we seek Him, we will find Him. Let's pray and seek Him with all our hearts.

Prayer Starter:

God, remind me to bring my problems to You. I'm tired of living in my own strength. I need Your guidance and Your direction. As I seek You daily, I will put my trust in You. Amen

Joyce Meyer: Promises for Your Everyday Life​

"God Is Sovereign"

God rules the entire universe. His perfect plans and purposes are always accomplished and can never be thwarted by anyone or anything, including evil. His supreme rule is always consistent with the totality of His divine character.

Ask yourself: How can I TRUST IN, DELIGHT IN, or REFLECT this aspect of God’s character? In what ways am I wrongly STRIVING after (or against) this attribute, since I am not God?

I know that You can do all things, and that no thought or purpose of Yours can be restrained or thwarted. Job 42:2

The counsel of the Lord stands forever, the thoughts of His heart through all generations. Psalm 33:11

And all the inhabitants of the earth are accounted as nothing. And He does according to His will in the host of heaven and among the inhabitants of the earth, and none can stay His hand or say to Him, What are You doing? Daniel 4:35

"God Is Holy"

God is unlike His creation. He is set apart and altogether different from anyone or anything. There is no one like Him.

Ask yourself: How can I TRUST IN, DELIGHT IN, or REFLECT this aspect of God’s character? In what ways am I wrongly STRIVING after (or against) this attribute, since I am not God?

Who is like You, O Lord, among the gods? Who is like You, glorious in holiness, awesome in splendor, doing wonders? Exodus 15:11

And one cried to another and said, Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts; the whole earth is full of His glory! Isaiah 6:3

And the four living creatures, individually having six wings, were full of eyes all over and within [underneath their wings]; and day and night they never stop saying, Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty (Omnipotent), Who was and Who is and Who is to come. Revelation 4:8

The Character And Attributes Of The Godhead / by Julie Gossack

"God Is Righteous"

All that God is and all that He does are consistent with the purity of His divine nature. He is infinite in moral perfection, never doing wrong or evil. Nothing He does is outside His goodness and justice.

Psalm 11:7 For the Lord is [rigidly] righteous, He loves righteous deeds; the upright shall behold His face, or He beholds the upright.

Psalm 33:4-5 For the word of the Lord is right; and all His work is done in faithfulness.
He loves righteousness and justice; the earth is full of the loving-kindness of the Lord.

Psalm 145:17 The Lord is [rigidly] righteous in all His ways and gracious and merciful in all His works.

"God Is Immutable"​

God’s character remains the same throughout all time; it is constant. The perfection of His character has never and will never change.

Malachi 3:6 For I am the Lord, I do not change; that is why you, O sons of Jacob, are not consumed.

Hebrews 1:10-12 And [further], You, Lord, did lay the foundation of the earth in the beginning, and the heavens are the works of Your hands.
11 They will perish, but You remain and continue permanently; they will all grow old and wear out like a garment.
12 Like a mantle [thrown about one's self] You will roll them up, and they will be changed and replaced by others. But You remain the same, and Your years will never end nor come to failure. [Ps. 102:25-27.]

Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ (the Messiah) is [always] the same, yesterday, today, [yes] and forever (to the ages).

"God Is Omnipotent"

Omnipotent (all + able) There is nothing that is beyond God’s mighty power and ability. He is fully capable of accomplishing anything in accordance with the purity of His will.

Joshua 4:24 That all the peoples of the earth may know that the hand of the Lord is mighty and that you may reverence and fear the Lord your God forever.

Psalm 93:4 The Lord on high is mightier and more glorious than the noise of many waters, yes, than the mighty breakers and waves of the sea.

Jeremiah 32:17 Alas, Lord God! Behold, You have made the heavens and the earth by Your great power and by Your outstretched arm! There is nothing too hard or too wonderful for You–

Jeremiah 32:27 Behold, I am the Lord, the God of all flesh; is there anything too hard for Me?

"God Is Omniscient"

Omniscient (all + knowing) God possesses perfect knowledge of all aspects of all things throughout all time. Nothing is outside of His infinite knowledge.

Psalm 139:1-6 O Lord, you have searched me [thoroughly] and have known me.
2 You know my down sitting and my uprising; You understand my thought afar off. [Matt. 9:4; John 2:24, 25.]
3 You sift and search out my path and my lying down, and You are acquainted with all my ways.
4 For there is not a word in my tongue [still unuttered], but, behold, O Lord, You know it altogether. [Heb. 4:13.]
5 You have beset me and shut me in–behind and before, and You have laid Your hand upon me.
6 Your [infinite] knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high above me, I cannot reach it.

Proverbs 5:21 For the ways of man are directly before the eyes of the Lord, and He [Who would have us live soberly, chastely, and godly] carefully weighs all man's goings. [II Chron. 16:9; Job 31:4; 34:21; Prov. 15:3; Jer. 16:17; Hos. 7:2; Heb. 4:13.]

"God Is Omnipresent"

Omnipresent (all + present) God is present in all places at all times. He is present everywhere whether His presence is acknowledged or not.

Psalm 46:1 GOD IS our Refuge and Strength [mighty andimpenetrable to temptation], a very present andwell-proved help in trouble.

Psalm 139:7-10 Where could I go from Your Spirit? Or where could I flee from Your presence?
8 If I ascend up into heaven, You are there; if I make my bed in Sheol (the place of the dead), behold, You are there. [Rom. 11:33.]

"God Is Eternal"

God has been, is, and always will be. His existence precedes His creation. He will never cease to exist in the fullness of His being.

Psalm 90:1-2 Lord, YOU have been our dwelling place and our refuge in all generations [says Moses].
2 Before the mountains were brought forth or ever You had formed and given birth to the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting You are God.

Lamentations 5:19 But You, O Lord, remain and reign forever; Your throne endures from generation to [all] generations.

1 Timothy 1:17 Now to the King of eternity, incorruptible and immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever (to the ages of ages). Amen (so be it).

"God Is Incomprehensible"

God is so different from man that His infinite ways cannot be entirely understood. Mankind’s knowledge of God is limited, not because of a lack of revelation about God, but because man’s mind is finite and unable to fully grasp His complete personhood.

Ecclesiastes 11:5 As you know not what is the way of the wind, or how the spirit comes to the bones in the womb of a pregnant woman, even so you know not the work of God, Who does all.

Isaiah 55:8-9 For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways, says the Lord.
9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts.

Joy in the Word​

I rejoice at Your word as one who finds great treasure.

PSALM 119:162

El Dorado was the name given by Spaniards in the sixteenth century to describe a mythical king of native people in Colombia, South America. The myth grew from referring to a man, to a city, to a kingdom, and finally to an empire of gold. Treasure hunters from England and Spain searched all over Colombia, Venezuela, Guyana, and northern Brazil—and all came up sad and disappointed. There was no city or kingdom of golden treasures to be found.

But there is a treasure of joy waiting to be discovered between the pages of Scripture—the treasure of God’s Word. Could anything be more valuable than a Book that answers mankind’s most important questions: Where did I come from? What is my purpose? What is right and wrong? What is my destiny? These questions, and more, are the foundation of man’s questioning about our purpose and place here on earth—and the answers are there for us in Scripture. In good times and bad, we can rejoice knowing the answers to all of life’s biggest questions are there for the reading.

Solomon penned these words about the treasure of God’s Word: “If you seek it like silver and search for it as for hidden treasures, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God” (Proverbs 2:4–5, ESV).

From Everyday with Jesus

Living the spirit filled life - My Brother’s Keeper February 1

Then the Lord said to Cain, “Where is Abel your brother?” He said, “Am I my brother’s keeper?” Genesis 4:9

The Lord answers Cain’s rhetorical question with a powerful call to account for his actions, his attitude, and his neglect of the mandate to “keep” his brother. If we were to ask the Lord the same question of our brothers and sisters, His answer would call us to account just as emphatically. We do have a mandate to care for, to nurture, and to “keep” those around us.

First, we are responsible for our natural families. How often we ignore the spiritual, emotional, and physical care of those to whom we are related.
Second, we are responsible for our spiritual families. We must regularly minister to our brothers, sisters, fathers, and mothers in the faith. Our attitudes toward them must reflect the care fitting the mandate our Lord gave us to “love one another.”

Third, in the parable of the Good Samaritan, Jesus called us to nurture those we are not naturally disposed to like. What of those who rub us the wrong way? “Am I his keeper, Lord? Surely not, Father, you know how reprehensibly difficult he is; surely not him, Lord.…”
And our Lord answers.

New Beginning​

And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all kinds of sickness and all kinds of disease among the people.

MATTHEW 4:23

During His earthly ministry, Jesus not only instructed and inspired people by His powerful presence and wisdom, but he cast out demons and healed the sick and
lame. After meeting Jesus, the blind could see; the deaf could hear; the lame could walk; the demon possessed were set free; and their sins were forgiven! Jesus gave them a new beginning! They were no longer the outcasts of society, forced to beg for their daily food; they were restored to a new life in their community, and freed from their sin.

For those who come to Christ today, a new life in Christ is ours as well. Second Corinthians 5:17 says, “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.” Through Christ’s sacrifice, we are set free from the weight of our sin and the burden of shame.

No longer in darkness, we now walk in the light of God’s love and the newness of life (Romans 6:4). It is a new beginning.

From Everyday with Jesus

Back