David Wilkerson - on anguish

David Wilkerson had an impact on my life and our church. And later the early work of Francis Schaeffer had a similar impact. All of this is ancient history. There was a moment when these people brought light into darkness and we saw things clearly in that light. But decades passed and more decades and what we discovered was the visible church around us was not walking in that light. It sounds like Wilkerson came to that same conclusion. Schaeffer's manifesto had some elements of this but look around you now. I met with a pastor 30 years ago who had been a part of our work in the early '70s and I recall his reaction to Wilkerson's personal Vision. He was angry about it. I didn't argue with him but went away and thought about it over the years. When this pastor died his wife came out as a follower of Richard Rohr. The distance between Wilkerson and Richard Rohr is a chasm you cannot jump over. Wilkerson I understand. Richard Rohr is somewhere I wouldn't want to be.

David Wilkerson had an impact on my life and our church. And later the early work of Francis Schaeffer had a similar impact.

One might wonder what David Wilkerson could possibly have in common with Francis Schaeffer. The name of the work in Switzerland was L'Abri and at one point in history the original Teen Challenge and L'Abri had one thing in common. In 1969 our church opened the Grapevine Shelter which was a hybrid of Schaeffer and Wilkerson. This work was staffed by young people who were seeking answers to very difficult questions. It was a time of cultural crisis no less profound than our current situation.

Last edited:

LifeIn

The speaker complains about music taking over the house of God. He says this while using emotional background music for his entire 7+minute sermon. If he is going to complain about music taking over the house of God, maybe he should not bring in that music for his purposes either. I just found it ironic.

e v e

The speaker complains about music taking over the house of God. He says this while using emotional background music for his entire 7+minute sermon. If he is going to complain about music taking over the house of God, maybe he should not bring in that music for his purposes either. I just found it ironic.
I don’t know if it was added later by others or not. But thank you for mentioning it.

What he says is urgent and true.

Hark

Unfortunately, David Wilkerson had a practice that was of the world in seeking for the Holy Spirit to come to a place of worship; to feel His Presence. That was why he had wondered why all those phenomenon seekers were coming to his place of worship, and it was because he was speaking their language as they sought the visitation of the Holy Spirit by signs and lying wonders where believers fall backwards or lose self control or have uncontrollable laughter. David Wilkerson spoke against those phenomenon like slain in the spirit and holy laughter movement clearly, but he did not see that he was committing the same iniquity for seeking the visitation of the Holy Spirit in the worship place to be felt outside of him.

1 John 4:1Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. 2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: 3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world. 4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

That is where the spirit of the antichrist is at whereas the Spirit of Christ is in us always so there is no need to ask for the Holy Spirit to be sent to the worship place let alone seek Him to feel His Presence in the worship place.

David Wilkerson has shared the truth about the role of the Holy Ghost but for some reason, where he sees the spirit of the antichrist would take the spotlight away from the Son in worship, yet fails to apply that to feeling the presence of the Holy Spirit in the worship place.

So once again, we are to prove all things by Jesus Christ. We cannot except everything at face value. Just because David was spot on regarding the role of the Holy Spirit in that newsletter I had from him, it is no wonder why he has problems with phenomenon seekers at his church service.

e v e

Unfortunately, David Wilkerson had a practice that was of the world in seeking for the Holy Spirit to come to a place of worship; to feel His Presence. That was why he had wondered why all those phenomenon seekers were coming to his place of worship, and it was because he was speaking their language as they sought the visitation of the Holy Spirit by signs and lying wonders where believers fall backwards or lose self control or have uncontrollable laughter. David Wilkerson spoke against those phenomenon like slain in the spirit and holy laughter movement clearly, but he did not see that he was committing the same iniquity for seeking the visitation of the Holy Spirit in the worship place to be felt outside of him.

1 John 4:1Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. 2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: 3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world. 4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

That is where the spirit of the antichrist is at whereas the Spirit of Christ is in us always so there is no need to ask for the Holy Spirit to be sent to the worship place let alone seek Him to feel His Presence in the worship place.

David Wilkerson has shared the truth about the role of the Holy Ghost but for some reason, where he sees the spirit of the antichrist would take the spotlight away from the Son in worship, yet fails to apply that to feeling the presence of the Holy Spirit in the worship place.

So once again, we are to prove all things by Jesus Christ. We cannot except everything at face value. Just because David was spot on regarding the role of the Holy Spirit in that newsletter I had from him, it is no wonder why he has problems with phenomenon seekers at his church service.
Only God will judge him.

I only know know him from this video, in which he was correct and speaking in his soul.
And as such, I honor him.

e v e

David Wilkerson had an impact on my life and our church. And later the early work of Francis Schaeffer had a similar impact. All of this is ancient history. There was a moment when these people brought light into darkness and we saw things clearly in that light. But decades passed and more decades and what we discovered was the visible church around us was not walking in that light. It sounds like Wilkerson came to that same conclusion. Schaeffer's manifesto had some elements of this but look around you now. I met with a pastor 30 years ago who had been a part of our work in the early '70s and I recall his reaction to Wilkerson's personal Vision. He was angry about it. I didn't argue with him but went away and thought about it over the years. When this pastor died his wife came out as a follower of Richard Rohr. The distance between Wilkerson and Richard Rohr is a chasm you cannot jump over. Wilkerson I understand. Richard Rohr is somewhere I wouldn't want to be.

many want to be of this world and only superficially a christian and do not listen to Him.

i think wilkerson i understand too —- a genuine soul.

e v e

every christian suffers trials

that he was pursued by fleshy type seekers doesn’t reflect on him.

there is no ‘ghost’.

there is He and His Spirit who is no ghost. That is a corruption of text and an insult to call His Spirit a ghost.