Dawkins vs Lennox; The God Delusion

It's always a loss when a loved one dies.
But my point is the depth of the reaction to when a loved one dies. Religious people - just like non-religious people - act like they're never going to see the deceased again, which is contrary to their theology.

But my point is the depth of the reaction to when a loved one dies. Religious people - just like non-religious people - act like they're never going to see the deceased again, which is contrary to their theology.
The "act like" apologetics eh?

Why do atheists say "God"?

It's as if they think God exists.:ROFLMAO:

The "act like" apologetics eh?

Why do atheists say "God"?

It's as if they think God exists.:ROFLMAO:
When atheists say "God," it's easily explainable as something that the culture has instilled in just about everyone, theist and atheist alike, because "God" (as an exclamation, for instance) is part of English. It's trivial in the sense that no one thinks - and I hope you don't - that atheists are somehow being, what, hypocritical when they exclaim "God!"

Can you offer us the trivial, easy explanation for why theists who will easily say that they'll be reunited in heaven with loved ones react the same as you'd expect if they actually thought that they would never see the loved one again?

When atheists say "God," it's easily explainable as something that the culture has instilled in just about everyone, theist and atheist alike, because "God" (as an exclamation, for instance) is part of English. It's trivial in the sense that no one thinks - and I hope you don't - that atheists are somehow being, what, hypocritical when they exclaim "God!"

Can you offer us the trivial, easy explanation for why theists who will easily say that they'll be reunited in heaven with loved ones react the same as you'd expect if they actually thought that they would never see the loved one again?
When people die its easily seen as sad. Start there

You think a Christian should never be sad, and you are sure about it.

I'll stick with understanding the atheist when you understand the Christian. Then again Buddhism is not in view by anybody here so it doesn't really matter.

When people die its easily seen as sad. Start there

You think a Christian should never be sad, and you are sure about it.

I'll stick with understanding the atheist when you understand the Christian. Then again Buddhism is not in view by anybody here so it doesn't really matter.
Your reply ignores the distinction on which my point rests, the distinction between being just "regular" sad at not seeing someone for, say, a few years (they're going overseas to a remote location?) and the bone-shattering grief that people often display that is no less than what you'd expect if they thought they'd never see that person again, ever.

Your reply ignores the distinction on which my point rests, the distinction between being just "regular" sad at not seeing someone for, say, a few years (they're going overseas to a remote location?) and the bone-shattering grief that people often display that is no less than what you'd expect if they thought they'd never see that person again, ever.
Oh, you have a distinction.

So you are claiming everyone but Christians are mired in "bone shattering grief" when someone dies?

Sorry but that is not in evidence. What is in evidence is people are sad when people die.

Sounds like argument by notions in your head.

Oh, you have a distinction.
Thank you very much.

So you are claiming everyone but Christians are mired in "bone shattering grief" when someone dies?
No, not at all. Read my posts again. I've said several times that Christians and atheists react similarly when a loved one dies, a reaction one would expect if the person understood they would never see the loved one again, ever. Christians and atheists. Both. Same world-shaking grief.

Sorry but that is not in evidence.
Are you questioning that people - Christians and atheists (and others, too) often have the most grief they will ever experience when a loved one dies? Are you serious?

What is in evidence is people are sad when people die.
Which again ignores my distention and the specific part of my claim that, typically, people experience no greater grief than when a loved one dies, what you'd expect if they thought they'd never see the loved one again, ever.

Sounds like argument by notions in your head.
We all got notions, don' we?

My notion is when an atheist says God they are betraying their beliefs.
When a Christian says "Bigfoot", are they betraying their beliefs?

Using a term for a thing you don't believe in, to refer to that thing, doesn't mean you believe in it.

From an atheist perspective, no Christians have the approval of God for their actions, while all Christians believe that they do, so that criticism doesn't work fro my point of view, though I can see how it does from yours. Sadly some of the greatest atrocities come from one set of Christians trying to show another set just who it is who has God's approval.
God only approves of those actions that are consistent with his commands. The only command that we have is to love God and love others after we become Christians. When we first come to God, believe, repent of sins, be baptized and receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. The OT law of Moses which was for the nation of Israel had been replaced with a new covenant.
That is sad when God's children cant' get along.
Why would there be animosity? I like Christians. I love the architecture, the music, the costumes and magic spells. It's real theatre. I just don't believe that it's real. I might envy the simplicity and certainty, but animosity? No.
Costumes? magic spells? It's only theater if the people are play acting.

To explain No Trump contracts would be you explaining baseball to me. I suspect it's not worth it for either of us.
I could explain baseball to you. It's boring to watch. Worse than soccer.

I turned off when Trump was running. I voted for whoever was running in the independent party for two presidential elections in a row.

Back