Dead Sea Scrolls are the Death Knell for Christian Orthodoxy

Would that be having only two wives? Nope, just one. Try again.
Not a matter of wives. It's just that you'll believe just about anything they tell you and self-justify it with religious fervor and call that delusion some "experience" of God. Once you start that cycle, your one convincing argument away from the golden leaves and more woman trouble than you can handle. The only thing keeping you on the rails is that you've already chosen your delusion. Reality or other delusions need not apply. No room in the inn.

Not a matter of wives. It's just that you'll believe just about anything they tell you

Obviously not. For example, I'm not believing the crap you are telling me.

and self-justify it with religious fervor and call that delusion some "experience" of God. Once you start that cycle, your one convincing argument

What the hell makes you think I need to convince YOU of all people that I have had an encounter with God?

away from the golden leaves and more woman trouble than you can handle.
Women are TROUBLE to you? Sorry to hear that. Are you gay?

No room in the inn.

What's that mean?

It has to do with the utterly stupid things you choose to believe crowding out normal thinking in your mind.
Idiotic. One does not "choose to believe" the reality of an experience. Did you choose to believe that you typed the moronic comment above?

Idiotic. One does not "choose to believe" the reality of an experience. Did you choose to believe that you typed the moronic comment above?
What was typed started in a mind and ended up in reality on the screen. The idiotic nonsense you believe just rattles around in your head like a loose marble causing you to declare stupid things that actually don't exist in reality. Comparisons of make believe mental states and things that actually happen in the world are about as moronic as it gets.

What was typed started in a mind and ended up in reality on the screen. The idiotic nonsense you believe just rattles around in your head like a loose marble causing you to declare stupid things that actually don't exist in reality. Comparisons of make believe mental states and things that actually happen in the world are about as moronic as it gets.

I can always count on you to imbecilically paint yourself into a rhetorical corner. That which appears "in reality on the screen" is your evidence for factuality, eh? Then get off your duff, hotshot, and put up on the screen your evidence for your lame speculation that my encounters with God are merely imagined figments of my mind. In other words prove that you are not imagining what I allegedly imagine.

You don't really think your posts through too well before rushing to that "post reply" button, now do you?

I can always count on you to imbecilically paint yourself into a rhetorical corner. That which appears "in reality on the screen" is your evidence for factuality, eh? Then get off your duff, hotshot, and put up on the screen your evidence for your lame speculation that my encounters with God are merely imagined figments of my mind. In other words prove that you are not imagining what I allegedly imagine.

You don't really think your posts through too well before rushing to that "post reply" button, now do you
You are getting desperate. Your inner moron is the only thing being splashed on the screen when it is the God you experience that you should be able to display. You can't produce this experiential certainty of God can you. Your idiocy gets in the way every time. It is much stronger than the God you experienced.

Well then. Just as long as you say so.
It's going to excuse you from any and all culpability.

Isn't it nice to know that God won't actually hold you culpable for what you hear, and your choice?
Well, I would be shocked if God held me accountable as he has more abilities than me and does virtually nothing with them.

For instance, if I found a cure for cancer and hid it, I'd be responsible for it. But God (assuming he exists and has the powers that Christians ascribe to him) has these cures but does absolutely nothing with them and is not responsible for it.

So, yes, I'd be curious how the judgment would go.

Well, I would be shocked if God held me accountable as he has more abilities than me and does virtually nothing with them.

For instance, if I found a cure for cancer and hid it, I'd be responsible for it. But God (assuming he exists and has the powers that Christians ascribe to him) has these cures but does absolutely nothing with them and is not responsible for it.

So, yes, I'd be curious how the judgment would go.
Just because you are excluding yourself doesn't mean that God is incapable or unwilling to engage you on his terms.

You have to choose whether you want to know the truth or not.

Just because you are excluding yourself doesn't mean that God is incapable or unwilling to engage you on his terms.

You have to carefully assess whether it is the truth or not before you swallow hook, line and sinker.... but that's not how it works does it Steve. You have to swallow, hook line and sinker first right?

You have to carefully assess whether it is the truth or not before you swallow hook, line and sinker.... but that's not how it works does it Steve. You have to swallow, hook line and sinker first right?
I've spent the past 15,935 days assessing the claims made in the bible.

So, you're more than welcome to come do the same.

Yes, truth is most important to me. That's why I'm not religious, because all religions, including Christianity, require that you believe their religion is the one true religion and their God is the one true God who wants to engage you.

Yes, truth is most important to me. That's why I'm not religious, because all religions, including Christianity, require that you believe their religion is the one true religion and their God is the one true God who wants to engage you.
I'd encourage you to find another term to describe "religious."
I say this because the bible is really clear that true religion is to keep one's self unspotted from the world, to visit orphans and widows in their need. James 1:26-27, Isaiah 58

So, when people tell me they're not religious, they're telling me that they don't care about keeping themselves unspotted by the world, and could care less about those who are in need.

As atheists like to claim they're involved in caring for others, I have to start digging around for other meanings of this word.

It's simply a matter of not confusing terms and their definitions.

So, if truth is important to you, then based on the ideas you've described so far, it seems to me that you've bought lies to make your life convenient.
Jesus IS Truth. John 14:6,
Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.​

God's Word is Truth. John 17:17, Psalm 119:142
“Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth.​
Your righteousness is an everlasting righteousness,​
And Your law is truth.

And as Jesus is the Logos/Word of God, he would indeed be Truth. John 1:1-3, 14.

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.​
14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.

You see, where I come from, Truth is doable, and therefore practicably knowable.

But you swallowed it hook, line, and sinker before the study started right?
nope.
I quit attending church at 11-12.
I lived life, and had numerous discussions with a variety of people, who had a variety of different beliefs (I lived in OC, in So. Cal, during the 70's, so it was quite bizarre).
I had a few friends who became Jesus people during that period. So, by the time I was 17, I was hearing it more, and more. I finally began seeing things take place which resulted in my no longer being able to ignore it. I decided to confront it head on, and instead of listening to people talk, I asked God myself. the goal being to silence it once and for all.
What I did not expect was for God to answer me.
It was that answer which changed the course of my life.
So.... swallow hook, line and sinker beforehand?
No.
That's the convenient excuse used by people who don't want to find out for themselves.

nope.
I quit attending church at 11-12.
I lived life, and had numerous discussions with a variety of people, who had a variety of different beliefs (I lived in OC, in So. Cal, during the 70's, so it was quite bizarre).
I had a few friends who became Jesus people during that period. So, by the time I was 17, I was hearing it more, and more. I finally began seeing things take place which resulted in my no longer being able to ignore it. I decided to confront it head on, and instead of listening to people talk, I asked God myself. the goal being to silence it once and for all.
What I did not expect was for God to answer me.
It was that answer which changed the course of my life.
So.... swallow hook, line and sinker beforehand?
No.
That's the convenient excuse used by people who don't want to find out for themselves.
But it sounds like you already accepted God as real from the above. Or is this not the case, you were an atheist/agnostic? If so, this goes to my other question on how do I handle the other part of the conversation. You have me at the cusp of your experiment. I've read the bible tracts you gave (familiar with most of it anyway) and will read it again to keep it fresh for the experiment. But you need to answer how you handled God's side of the conversation if you were indeed an atheist or agnostic.

It's important.

Back