DEMONS KNOW WHO THEIR GOD IS.

Towerwatchman

DEMONS KNOW WHO THEIR GOD IS.

Jn 17:3 And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.

"Know" translates from ginosko. It has a wider scope of meaning than the English word “know”, including perceiving, learning, understanding, experiencing, performing, and willing. To know God is not to be fully intellectually informed about some abstract theological principle, but to understand and experience God. Most certainly, to know God is not to know about Him in an impersonal manner or to struggle philosophically with His essence, but rather have a personal relationship with Him.

γινώσκω [ginosko] AV translates as “know” 196 times, “perceive” nine times, “understand” eight times, and translated miscellaneously 10 times. 1 to learn to know, come to know, get a knowledge of perceive, feel. 1a to become known. 2 to know, understand, perceive, have knowledge of. 2a to understand. 2b to know. 3 Jewish idiom for sexual intercourse between a man and a woman. 4 to become acquainted with, to know. [Strong, James: The Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible]

What is key in the following text is what the evil spirit says.

Acts 19:12 Then some of the itinerant Jewish exorcists took it upon themselves to call the name of the Lord Jesus over those who had evil spirits, saying, “We exorcise you by the Jesus whom Paul preaches.” 14 Also there were seven sons of Sceva, a Jewish chief priest, who did so. 15 And the evil spirit answered and said, “Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are you?”

In vs 15, the demon uses two different words that are translated as "know". If Jesus was a mere man, as Paul is, then the demon should express his understanding of Jesus and Paul the same. The demon said, "Jesus, I know (ginōsko,= “to know by interaction and experience, to know personally”), but Paul he states, Paul I know (epistamai,= “to be acquainted with, to understand, to know about ”).

ἐπίσταμαι [epistamai ] AV translates as “know” 13 times, and “understand” once. 1 to put one’s attention on, fix one’s thoughts on, to turn one’s self or one’s mind to, put one’s thought upon a thing. 1a to be acquainted with, to understand. 1b to know. [Strong, James: The Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible]

The evil spirit was acquainted [epistamai] with Paul[mere man], but knew [ginosko] his creator Jesus personally.

Back