Despite having faith in Christ

Nic

you didn't answer my 1st question.

what's your definition of a 'fundamentalist church' ?

it doesn't sound like you heard that in a Christian church (one that believes in and teaches scripture), unless the teaching was against 'good works' devoid of Christ.
It was a sermon on good works for all practical purposes. Almost anyone hearing it could sadly say with surprise when informed, that they thought it was Christian sermon.
As far as what is a fundamental church goes, I would say they exist from Baptist varieties to charismatic circles and everything in between. Just because a group may fall into that category doesn't mean the preach good works devoid of Christ but enough of them if not many do. Suffice to say a non-reformation church setting. I've belong to different ones.

Last edited:

leonard03782

leonard03782 said:
Look in the mirror and point at yourselves as well. If one of your children or grandchildren had been victimized by your religion's perverted clergy, perhaps you would have had a different point of view on this subject.

Bringing up the scandals of your false religion is perfectly acceptable because it goes to prove the point that your religion and its leaders are not what they claim to be. Like it or not we will not stop reminding you about it.
All institutions have perverted people and those who cover it up.
People that avert their eyes from the problem, stick their head in the ground in order not to see the problem, or whine and complain when ever the subject of the problem that they are trying to avoid gets brought up. It is because of people like this, that such travesties continue to occur over and over. What is worse, you do this in the defense of your false religion.

Last edited:

mica

It was a sermon on good works for all practical purposes. Almost anyone hearing it could sadly say with surprise when informed, that they thought it was Christian sermon.
what practical purposes? was it for or against 'good works' devoid of Christ?

they might also think they are a Christian even if they aren't one. many hear what they consider to be a 'Christian sermon' about once a week even tho it isn't a Christian sermon.

As far as what is a fundamental church goes, I would say they exist from Baptist varieties to charismatic circles and everything in between. Just because a group may fall into that category doesn't mean the preach good works devoid of Christ but enough of them if not many do. Suffice to say a non-reformation church setting. I've belong to different ones.
saying they exist here or there does not define a 'fundamental' church.

Nic

they might also think they are a Christian even if they aren't one. many hear what they consider to be a 'Christian sermon' about once a week even tho it isn't a Christian sermon.

Here's a paraphrase of the message.
Love your fellow man and be rewarded with eternal paradise. That's it. No Christ.
Okay let's for you just say there's no such thing a fundamentalist church that teaches good works and fails to mention Christ. There you go.

leonard03782

Does he even know what a fundamentalist church is?

leonard03782

No rejoin, go back to where your heart is. What is stopping you? Nothing at all. If you are staying Lutheran because of duty, it is a poor excuse. So you are now back as an RC. Sometimes the hold they have, is too hard to break.
for all practical purposes, he belongs to the rcc. He defends them with gusto as well as acts as an apologist on its behalf.

leonard03782

Yes. They are all different flavors. I'll give an example. David Wilkerson Times Square Church. I have firsthand experience with that "church."
what about that church did you find so distasteful? You still did not define what fundamentalist means.

Nic

what about that church did you find so distasteful?
Lol. Tons of stuff.
Setting aside the charismatic nonsense, the covenant theology legalism was bondage. In all fairness to all the other places I've ever encountered, it was by far the most spiritually abusive setting I've been part of.

pilgrim

With regard to the gospel there are no in-betweens. You either teach it, or you do not. If you do not teach the Gospel perfectly, you do not teach it at all.
Could you out of charity tell all of us where the Gospel is taught perfectly?

leonard03782

Lol. Tons of stuff.
Setting aside the charismatic nonsense, the covenant theology legalism was bondage. In all fairness to all the other places I've ever encountered, it was by far the most spiritually abusive setting I've been part of.
Most of us are used to sitting on our hands during worship services. so i can understand being uncomfortable in that situation.

I was thinking of something very similar to this when considering what the rcc teaches and when I hear rc's say what they say in this forum

Last edited:

leonard03782

Could you out of charity tell all of us where the Gospel is taught perfectly?
1 Corinthians 15:

1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
5 And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve:
6 After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.

pilgrim

1 Corinthians 15:

1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
5 And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve:
6 After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.

You said
If you do not teach the Gospel perfectly, you do not teach it at all.
I am assuming from your post that you go where the Gospel is taught perfectly.
So please tell us who teaches the Gospel perfectly.

mica

Here's a paraphrase of the message.
Love your fellow man and be rewarded with eternal paradise. That's it. No Christ.
Okay let's for you just say there's no such thing a fundamentalist church that teaches good works and fails to mention Christ. There you go.
so you liken a fundamentalist to catholics. you heard a Muslim sermon in a catholic church...

mica

mica said:

Does he even know what a fundamentalist church is?
doesn't seem to.

mica

Most of us are used to sitting on our hands during worship services. so i can understand being uncomfortable in that situation.

I was thinking of something very similar to this when considering what the rcc teaches and when I hear rc's say what they say in this forum
yes, i was early on too. it really took about a year before I was totally comfortable with it. but then I loved it and couldn't go back what i knew in the RCC or the UCC. sitting like bumps on a log and having no understanding of His word.

Nic

Seriously? How many of these other institutions claim to be infallible when it speaks on matters of faith and morals?
Lol how many claim they teach errors. I'm sorry I couldn't resist. I have not slept. But yeah no claim to infallibility... that wasn't always understood in RCcism either.

Nic

so you liken a fundamentalist to catholics. you heard a Muslim sermon in a catholic church...
You are having trouble following me. No, I likened fundamentalist American Christianity to Muslims. I'm not saying all are that way, but plenty are. It's all about deeds not creeds remember?