Dialoguing With JWs

Dant01

Should it be decided to go head to head with Watchtower Society missionaries, here's some useful tips.

1» Round up a copy of the Watchtower Society's "New World Translation of the Bible" and its "Kingdom Interlinear Translation of the Greek Scriptures." Sometimes these are available in thrift stores like Good Will and Salvation Army. Both are available online from amazon dot com.

For some useful insights into a variety of Jehovah's Witness teachings, the little brown book titled "Reasoning From The Scriptures" is a must-have. It's available online too. Be sure to get the Watchtower Society's version instead of another book by the same name authored by a different agency.

2» Do not let these people get personal with you. You must never ever assume they are your friends because first and foremost their primary interest is in making you a life-long slave to the Watchtower Society. You can be courteous and you can be civil, but it's highly recommended that you not let them into your life.

3» Do not accept their literature. They will want to come back later and discuss it with you; thus taking control of both your thinking and the meeting.

4» Don't let them get too far into their spiel, but at the first opportunity begin introducing your own questions; thus denying them control of the conversation.

5» Do not debate. You're not a salesman pushing a product, nor a recruiter, nor a candidate running for an elected office: you're not on a quota, you're not out to win anything, nor are you required to win-- you're a herald; viz: a messenger. Your information is best presented as a second opinion for them to think about; and that's all. No hammering and no pressuring.

The goal is to show missionaries that the Society's isn't the only expert opinion out there. In other words: the Watchtower Society's interpretations aren't the only option; nor are theirs eo ipso the right interpretations just because the Governing Body says so.

6» Avoid getting embroiled in trivial issues like birthdays, Easter, Christmas, Christmas trees, the design and construction of the wooden device upon which Christ was crucified, saluting the flag, service in the military, and that sort of thing. There are much bigger fish to fry than those.

The No.1 issue on their minds when they come to your door will likely be Jehovah's kingdom, in particular, the portion of His kingdom to be on Earth.

7» Make them listen and pay attention to what you say even if you have to repeat yourself to do it, or clap your hands, snap your fingers, or raise your voice. Do not let them digress, change the subject, go off on a tangent, nor get distracted and/or turn their attention elsewhere while you're speaking. If they start digging through their bags, shuffling papers, tinkering with their tablets, or looking up a reference; call them on it because there is no use in speaking when their minds are elsewhere engaged.

8» Do not permit them to interrupt you and/or talk out of turn. Politely, but firmly, insist that they hold their peace until you've said your piece.

9» Do not permit them to evade and/or circumvent difficult questions. They sometimes say that they will have to confer with someone more knowledgeable. When they do that, the meeting is over. Thank them politely for their time and then ask them to leave and come back when they have the information. Do not let them stay and start a new topic of their own.

10» Do not react and/or respond to ad hominems, which can be defined as a logical fallacy in which an argument is rebutted by attacking the character, motive, qualifications and/or other attribute of the person making the argument, or persons associated with the argument, rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself. They will most likely challenge your qualifications, especially your credibility with the Greek and Hebrew languages, so be prepared for that.

11» These people undergo hour upon hour of training to refute standard Christian doctrines, so it's very important to show them the Bible not only in ways they've already seen, but also in ways they've never imagined.

It is my personal opinion that it's not a good idea to attempt to evangelize a Watchtower missionary as I can just about guarantee that most experienced JWs are better at evangelizing you than you are them. If you think that your own gospel message is some sort of silver bullet; you'll find out right quick that their silver bullets are quite likely bigger than yours.
_

kamaeq

They don't bother me anymore and before I moved to my current house, they hadn't bothered me for years there either. Why?
I follow a lot of what is in the OP, but I also am ready with a defense of the faith. While deliberately avoiding John 1:1 (it is a trigger for JWs and as the most trivial refutation of their beliefs, they are ready for it), but by building out a list of discussion using the Bible while they use their NWT from a similar source as can be found here. No reason to reinvent the wheel.
At the old place I ended up with one of their "elders" and at the new one, they wanted to have an elder talk to me, but he never showed. My fallback position in all these cases simply relies on teaching the Word. With JWs, especially newer ones, their own supposed reverence for Scripture gets them to enjoy discussing the Bible.

The No.1 issue on their minds when they come to your door will likely be Jehovah's kingdom, in particular, the portion of His kingdom to be on Earth.
I had cold call several months ago from a retired man in the neighborhood. Didn't take me long to figure out what it was about. I agreed to talk with him after giving him a rundown on my background. First question he asked me was about the Kingdom of God. Told him I did some reading on that in the summer 1977 after turning in the final draft of my thesis on Clavin's Doctrine of illumination of the Holy Spirit in the Institutes. I recall reading portions of Herman Ridderbos and G. Elton Ladd who both wrote works on the Kingdom. I was assigned Alva J. McClain Greatness of the Kingdom but never finished it. Told him I was in a state of suspended judgement on the Kingdom question. Eschatology is not a preoccupation. The man called back a month later. I addressed several questions at length, 10min or more per question. He asked if he could call again and I said yes. I don't mind expounding on questions of theology.

Last edited:

YeshuaFan

Should it be decided to go head to head with Watchtower Society missionaries, here's some useful tips.

1» Round up a copy of the Watchtower Society's "New World Translation of the Bible" and its "Kingdom Interlinear Translation of the Greek Scriptures." Sometimes these are available in thrift stores like Good Will and Salvation Army. Both are available online from amazon dot com.

For some useful insights into a variety of Jehovah's Witness teachings, the little brown book titled "Reasoning From The Scriptures" is a must-have. It's available online too. Be sure to get the Watchtower Society's version instead of another book by the same name authored by a different agency.

2» Do not let these people get personal with you. You must never ever assume they are your friends because first and foremost their primary interest is in making you a life-long slave to the Watchtower Society. You can be courteous and you can be civil, but it's highly recommended that you not let them into your life.

3» Do not accept their literature. They will want to come back later and discuss it with you; thus taking control of both your thinking and the meeting.

4» Don't let them get too far into their spiel, but at the first opportunity begin introducing your own questions; thus denying them control of the conversation.

5» Do not debate. You're not a salesman pushing a product, nor a recruiter, nor a candidate running for an elected office: you're not on a quota, you're not out to win anything, nor are you required to win-- you're a herald; viz: a messenger. Your information is best presented as a second opinion for them to think about; and that's all. No hammering and no pressuring.

The goal is to show missionaries that the Society's isn't the only expert opinion out there. In other words: the Watchtower Society's interpretations aren't the only option; nor are theirs eo ipso the right interpretations just because the Governing Body says so.

6» Avoid getting embroiled in trivial issues like birthdays, Easter, Christmas, Christmas trees, the design and construction of the wooden device upon which Christ was crucified, saluting the flag, service in the military, and that sort of thing. There are much bigger fish to fry than those.

7» Make them listen and pay attention to what you say even if you have to repeat yourself to do it, or clap your hands, snap your fingers, or raise your voice. Do not let them digress, change the subject, go off on a tangent, nor get distracted and/or turn their attention elsewhere while you're speaking. If they start digging through their bags, shuffling papers, tinkering with their tablets, or looking up a reference; call them on it because there is no use in speaking when their minds are elsewhere engaged.

8» Do not permit them to interrupt you and/or talk out of turn. Politely, but firmly, insist that they hold their peace until you've said your piece.

9» Do not permit them to evade and/or circumvent difficult questions. They sometimes say that they will have to confer with someone more knowledgeable. When they do that, the meeting is over. Thank them politely for their time and then ask them to leave and come back when they have the information. Do not let them stay and start a new topic of their own.

10» Do not react and/or respond to ad hominems, which can be defined as a logical fallacy in which an argument is rebutted by attacking the character, motive, qualifications and/or other attribute of the person making the argument, or persons associated with the argument, rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself. They will most likely challenge your qualifications, especially your credibility with the Greek and Hebrew languages, so be prepared for that.

11» These people undergo hour upon hour of training to refute standard Christian doctrines, so it's very important to show them the Bible not only in ways they've already seen, but also in ways they've never imagined.

It is my personal opinion that it's not a good idea to attempt to evangelize a Watchtower missionary as I can just about guarantee that most experienced JWs are better at evangelizing you than you are them. If you think that your own gospel message is some sort of silver bullet; you'll find out right quick that their silver bullets are quite likely bigger than yours.
_
Good points, and my experience with JW is that they will listen to you using the KJV, and that asking them about Isaiah and God as Only Savior and the NT calling jesus also Savior really gives them fits!

YeshuaFan

They don't bother me anymore and before I moved to my current house, they hadn't bothered me for years there either. Why?
I follow a lot of what is in the OP, but I also am ready with a defense of the faith. While deliberately avoiding John 1:1 (it is a trigger for JWs and as the most trivial refutation of their beliefs, they are ready for it), but by building out a list of discussion using the Bible while they use their NWT from a similar source as can be found here. No reason to reinvent the wheel.
At the old place I ended up with one of their "elders" and at the new one, they wanted to have an elder talk to me, but he never showed. My fallback position in all these cases simply relies on teaching the Word. With JWs, especially newer ones, their own supposed reverence for Scripture gets them to enjoy discussing the Bible.
what the Kingdom Hall; does is swhen one of their workers reports back an adress that gave them real bible trouble, marked off their list!

Bonnie

Good points, and my experience with JW is that they will listen to you using the KJV, and that asking them about Isaiah and God as Only Savior and the NT calling jesus also Savior really gives them fits!

They think the HS is God's power, like a radar beam, or electricity, by which He accomplishes stuff. Just an energy source. Show them Acts 5 and ask how one can lie to a radar beam or electricity.

Bonnie

Or how electricity can speak and be grieved!
Exactly! How can one lie to an energy source? How can an energy source be grieved? I showed this Acts 5 verse to some nice JW ladies who came to my door back in spring 2000. Their jaws fell open and their teeth almost fell out--they were that shocked. I don't think they had ever noticed that verse before. Of course, their NWT has "played false" instead of "lie", but I pointed out to the ladies that it really is "lie" in the Greek.

They could not tell me how one can lie to an energy source. I gently told them that only PERSONS can be lied to--not sources of energy.

YeshuaFan

Exactly! How can one lie to an energy source? How can an energy source be grieved? I showed this Acts 5 verse to some nice JW ladies who came to my door back in spring 2000. Their jaws fell open and their teeth almost fell out--they were that shocked. I don't think they had ever noticed that verse before. Of course, their NWT has "played false" instead of "lie", but I pointed out to the ladies that it really is "lie" in the Greek.

They could not tell me how one can lie to an energy source. I gently told them that only PERSONS can be lied to--not sources of energy.
Also, how can jesus being "a god", when they hold to just there being One God period?

TibiasDad

_

There are some good points here, and some that I would accept in a qualified manner. The latter would include:

• 2» Do not let these people get personal with you. You must never ever assume they are your friends because first and foremost their primary interest is in making you a life-long slave to the Watchtower Society. You can be courteous and you can be civil, but it's highly recommended that you not let them into your life.
I understand your reasoning, and for those not experienced or well prepared, there is merit to your argument. But the way to any human heart, even a JW cult member, is being openly human. They have to like you before they will listen to you, and to like you, they have to get to know you. My objective in any conversation with JW missionaries is to elongate the conversation for as long-term as possible. My best experience has been 3 home visits and another 6-months of email conversations with the same individual. This cannot happen without being openly human. Indeed, you should be wise in this, as you would with any stranger with whom you would be interacting, but we have to be real with them.

Another positive experience I've had was a woman that worked under my wife with whom we developed a very good relationship, even being invited to her home for a family gathering, and her entire family were JWs. This cannot happen by not letting things get personal.

• 3» Do not accept their literature They will want to come back later and discuss it with you; thus taking control of both your thinking and the meeting.
Again, this may be good advice for the novice in dealing with JWs, but I want them to come back and discuss them with me. That's the whole point. If you don't want to discuss things with them, why open the door in the first place.

I tell people that when a JW comes to the door, God has personally sent a sinner to you in order to share the truth of the gospel. How many people come to your home and knock on the door and say "Hi, I'd like to talk to you about the Bible!"?

Please don't misunderstand me, I'm on your side, but I think your being too conservative in your approach, at least in terms of those of us who have been well prepared and experienced in dealing with JWs.

Doug

robycop3

As one who's been called to fight false doctrines & pseudo/quasi-Christian cults almost from the beginning of my salvation, I prepared kits & knowledge to use against JWs & Mor(m)ons, the 2 cults that go door-to-door in my area the most. (The pandemic has curtailed their activities lately.)

I tell JW "missionaries" I'll listen to their spiel uninterrupted if they promise by all they hold sacred to give me 15 uninterrupted minutes in return when they've finished. When my turn comes, I begin with "Who do you say Jesus is?" & then I quite the Scriptures that tell who Jesus is. I then point out that John 1:1 in their NWT does NOT agree with the Greek in their own interlinear. I remind them of people in the Bible who served in their country's military, where Scripture shows several Roman soldiers were saved, the best known history of crucifixion, such as the fact that the upright poles were re-used, & were the stauros in the Greek, that each condemned man carried his own crosspiece(not the whole cross) to the site, etc. & the crosses in Jesus' time were indeed T-shaped, etc. etc. & especially, the Scriptures telling what one must do to be saved. I'm not a little feller, & I have a loud mouth I can use when necessary. I'm always polite, courteous, & careful not to be intimidating, inviting them to come back if they wanted to hear more about salvation.

To say the least, the same missionaries never come back. I can only hope my message remained with them, so the HOLY SPIRIT acted upon it & caused them to leave the cult.
(More to come)

robycop3

One JW missionary who did return was an old black gentleman in his 80s who'd referreed several of my fights "back in the day". I had vast respect for him & liked him a lot as a person as well as a ref. I invited him in, but told him I was an indy fundy Baptist & would never consider being a JW. I listened to him & he listened to me. He came back about 3 months later, still trying to "evangelize" me.

It can be hard to resist someone you value highly as I did him, but not in matters of salvation & eternal destiny.We reminisced for awhile about the old boxing days, etc. & then he turned to religion, but he was finally convinced that "converting" me to JW was outta the question. But he was not entirely deaf to the actual Gospel. He died about 3 months later, & I can only hope the Gospel grew in him in time for his salvation.

A kingdom hall that was about 7 or 8 years old about 3 blox away closed down & sold the bldg. which is a nice, well-made structure. That, & the pandemic have eliminated the missionaries from our 'hood for now.

Just remember-TREAT EACH VISIT BY JWS AS AN OPPORTUNITY THE HOLY SPIRIT HAS GIVEN YOU TO WITNESS FOR JESUS!

shnarkle

The JW's also have it on their website for free. There's nothing better than using their resources.

2» Do not let these people get personal with you. it's highly recommended that you not let them into your life.
I always invite them in for a chat. The more you chat with them, the more you get to see how their tactics work.
I disagree. What I've found is that when they come back, they have no desire whatsoever to talk about any of it. Eventually they throw up their arms and never return.
They will never answer any question they don't know. What they will say is, "Let me get back to you on that", or "We'll get to that later."
5» Do not debate.
They don't much care for debating, but they can't help it when you ask them a question that they can answer. The name of the game is asking questions that you know will lead them to an embarrassing roadblock. For example: They love to point out that God wouldn't have revealed his name if he didn't want us to use it. They literally believe that no one knew God's name. The question then becomes, why would God give Israel a commandment forbidding them from using God's name in vain, if no one knew his name? How does one use God's name in vain if they don't know God's name in the first place?
The goal is to show missionaries that the Society's isn't the only expert opinion out there.
I like to refer them to their own materials because the inconsistencies, contradictions are so blatant. For example: They like to claim that all other religions will provide inconsistent or contradictory positions on a subject. You can't get through pretty much any of their periodicals without noting one contradiction after another. I underline them, and they see the underlined pages, and interpret that as a good sign. lol. I particularly like taking their interlinear translations from online and showing how the translators added words that are nowhere to be found in the manuscripts.
6» Avoid getting embroiled in trivial issues like birthdays,
I like to point out all of the traditions and customs they do observe, and then ask them why they pick them over others.
Easter, Christmas,
Here again, when they point out that God would have told us when Jesus was born if he wanted us to celebrate his birthday, I show them how easy it really is to show not only when he was born, but when he and John the Baptist were conceived. Check out the appendixes to the Companion Bible online for more on that.
the design and construction of the wooden device upon which Christ was crucified,
They have a hard time accepting historical facts, but I like to point out that if Rome affixed people to a single stake, we wouldn't have started referring to intense pain as exCRUCiating pain, but as exSTAURONating pain.

I like to point out that the bible points out that "the meek shall inherit the earth", and that is most likely to happen sometime after it is despoiled by the Oligarchy
I always ask them questions while they're talking. What I will do is to ask them to clarify what they mean by certain words. This always leads to yet more questions which allow me to control the conversation. It always drives them nuts.
ask them to leave and come back when they have the information. Do not let them stay and start a new topic of their own.
They will either forget about the question altogether because they simply can't answer it, or they will come back with what they think is an airtight defense for their position. Again, the key thing to remember here is to ask them questions which you already know the answers to.
10» Do not react and/or respond to ad hominems,
I always point out that it is an Ad Hominem
They will most likely challenge your qualifications, especially your credibility with the Greek and Hebrew languages, so be prepared for that.
I have my degrees hanging on the walls, and that ship sails as soon as they walk into my living room because I've always got all of my books, Concordances, Greek-English lexicons, Greek Grammar books, not to mention my own personal translation of the New Testament arranged on my book shelf. Again, having their online manuscripts is also a great way to correct them with their own materials.

What I've discovered is that they have significantly more doctrines in common with mainstream Christianity than they realize. That is one of the best ways to spotlight their contradictory doctrines.
_
I have never witnessed a Jehovah's Witness evangelize anyone. They believe they are, but that's not the same thing. I video record their meetings in my living room and then edit them or content. it's fun to juxtapose their contradictory statements beside each other.