Did Ignatius of Antioch affirm the papacy

valtteri21

Ignatius, also called Theophorus, to the Church that has found mercy in the greatness of the Most High Father and in Jesus Christ, his only son; to the Church beloved and enlightened after the love of Jesus Christ, our God, by the will of him that has willed everything which is; to the Church wich also holds the presidency in the place of the country of the Romans, worthy of God, worthy of honor, worthy of blessing, worthy of praise, worthy of success, worthy of sanctification, and because you hold the presidency of love, named after Christ and named after the Father; here therefore do I salute in the name of Jesus Christ, the Son of the Father. —Letter to the Romans, Intro
"Church wich also holds the presidency"

Theo1689

I'm curious what translation you're using, since it is not only an inaccurate one, but it differs from the one found on the Catholic New Advent website.

The word "προκαθημαι" is a VERB, not a noun, and means, "presides".
And the subject of the "presiding" is the CHURCH, not a "man" or a "bishop".
The CHURCH is presiding over the REGION of Rome.

You're grasping at straws.

Last edited:

valtteri21

I'm curious what translation you're using, since it is not only an inaccurate one, but it differs from the one found on the Catholic New Advent website.

The word "προκαθημαι" is a VERB, not a noun, and means, "presides".
And the subject of the "presiding" is the CHURCH, not a "man" or a "bishop".
The CHURCH is presiding over the REGION of Rome.

You're grasping at straws.
I am not a papist but was debating a papist.

ziapueblo

St Ignatius may be saying that the Bishop of Rome is presiding in love. We Orthodox do not have problem with this. However, the quote posted above does not affirm papal supremacy, which is what I assume the person you are dialoguing with is wanting you to think.