Did Jesus bear Gods wrath and was He forsaken ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my study on Jesus words 😎

God is Good

Mark 10:13-27
13 People were bringing little children to Jesus to have him touch them, but the disciples rebuked them. 14 When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. 15 I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." 16 And he took the children in his arms, put his hands on them and blessed them.
17 As He was setting out on a journey, a man ran up to Him and knelt before Him, and asked Him, "Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?" 18 And Jesus said to him, "Why do you call Me good? No one is good except God alone. 19 "You know the commandments, ' DO NOT MURDER, DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, DO NOT STEAL, DO NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS, Do not defraud, HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER.'" 20 And he said to Him, "Teacher, I have kept all these things from my youth up." 21 Looking at him, Jesus felt a love for him and said to him, "One thing you lack: go and sell all you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me." 22 But at these words he was saddened, and he went away grieving, for he was one who owned much property.
23 And Jesus, looking around, * said to His disciples, "A How hard it will be for those who are wealthy to enter the kingdom of God!" 24 The disciples A were amazed at His words. But Jesus * answered again and said to them, "Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God! 25 “It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." 26 They were even more astonished and said to Him, " Then who can be saved?" 27 Looking at them, Jesus said, "With people it is impossible, but not with God; for all things are possible with God."

Jesus point in His questioning of the ruler was rhetorical in nature. Do you know who you are calling good? Only God is good. He was saying to the ruler "Do you know who I Am and who you are speaking too? If you read on it becomes obvious for Jesus turned him away from gaining eternal life. He knew what was in his heart and keeping him away from the kingdom. Only God knows what is in mans heart and can allow a person into His Kingdom. Jesus was clearly claiming to be God in this passage.

No prophet, apostle or teacher has ever talked in this presumptuous way in which Jesus did in the gospels and especially in this passage in the synoptic gospel. The young ruler runs up to Jesus kneels to Him in worship and asks Him how can I obtain eternal life? Jesus answers back and said come "Follow ME!" Do you see what Jesus is claiming? He does not say, these are the teachings that God has given me or follow these rules and you will get into heaven. He did not say to follow God or submit to God. Jesus tells the man to follow Me! Only God has that prerogative.

He was saying indirectly to the ruler, know that whom you are speaking to is God. He was letting the young ruler understand who he was talking to and addressing as good. Look at it this way, Is He saying He is not good, and therefore not God? Or is He saying that He is good, and the reason this man can call Him good is because He is God? I opt for the second statement.

Let’s examine the context of the passage and what is going on when this man approaches Jesus. He says why do you call me good and points out to the man that only God is good. The man is unaware of His identity which Jesus who knew men’s hearts was aware of with the young ruler. This man thought of Jesus as just a mere man and not the Son of God. Jesus response was not one of denying His own sinlessness or deity. The context clearly shows just the opposite to be true. Jesus claims absolute authority over the young ruler by asking him to come and Follow Me. To call Him "good teacher" you better recognize who you are speaking to and this is exactly the point Jesus was getting across to the young ruler. Jesus is eternal life and the man was unaware of this truth which is rather obvious by his questions.

How does one obtain eternal life? Jesus confronted him with His Lordship when He said come and follow Me. Jesus confronted the man's sin of covetousness. It was a sin of indulgence and materialism. He was indifferent to people who were poor and in need. So Jesus gave him the ultimate test, would he obey His Lordship? The antis and non trins get all hung up on who is good and cannot see past the plank in their own eyes to see what one must do to be saved. They're still in an unbelieving state and miss out on eternal life from its very source, Jesus. Rather sad indeed.

If we further examine the context of the question asked by the young ruler in verse 13 we read; people were bringing little children to Jesus to have him touch them, but the disciples rebuked them. 14 When Jesus saw this, He was indignant. He said to them, "Let the little children come to Me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. 15 I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." 16 And He took the children in His arms, put His hands on them and blessed them. 17 As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to Him and fell on his knees before Him. "Good teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?" 18 "Why do you call Me good?" Jesus answered. Let’s see what question was asked of Jesus. How can I get eternal life?" is the question. "Follow ME!" is the answer that he gets from Jesus. Do you see what He is claiming? He does NOT say, these are the teachings that God has given Me. Follow these rules and you will get to heaven. He did not say, "follow God or submit to God", but he said "Follow ME!". Jesus is Lord and had the authority to command mankind, Follow Me!

Okay I promise I'll never call anyone here good teacher again. But seriously folks I read your complete post and I have some questions.
When Jesus told the guy to go and sell all that he had and give it to the poor, then he would have treasure in heaven. So my question is did the act of selling his stuff And giving the profit from it to the poor earn him treasure in heaven? Or was it because he did what Jesus told him to do?

"So Jesus gave him the ultimate test, would he obey His Lordship? "

So in your explanation Jesus knew nothing he said to this guy was going to change his destiny. But do what you think about people that were listening to what Jesus was telling to guy. Do you think they may have figured out who was talking? Do you think they may have followed him and started to obey him as Lord? The Bible says his word doesn't go out and come back avoid that it accomplishes his purpose. The one guy may have left all dejected because he didn't want to sell his loot. But 10 people may have become believers.

The little children coming to Jesus, that's my favorite. You ever see that old picture, oh Sure you have. The one with Jesus sitting on a log next to a tree and all the little children coming up to him and he has his arms out welcoming them. That's my favorite picture ever. I think little children can see the love of Jesus a lot easier than adults. That is until the world gets a hold of them.

John 1:6-8 He came as a witness, to testify about the Light, so that all might believe through Him. 8 He was not the Light, but he came to testify about the Light.
Have you gotten Into the worship song by DC talk "in the light" my favorite song.

John 5:39-40
39 " You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me; 40 and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life.
It's always amazed me that the top religious teachers in Israel had the Lord of glory right in front of them. And all they cared about was themselves. Having the good seat, wearing the nice robe. In most important of all was the prestige of being "that guy". And what are they do make up a bunch of lies so they can get him executed. Go figure.

John 8:18-20
18 I am one who testifies for Myself; My other witness is the Father, who sent Me."
Amen to that. We would be in big trouble if that didn't happen.
19 Then they asked Him, "Where is your father?""You do not know Me or my Father," Jesus replied. "If you knew Me, you would know My Father also."
Jesus: If you seen me you seen the father And the really bad news depart from me I never knew you

It's all about Jesus... I use that expression all the time.

I haven't edited it yet, but it covers the point I want to make...

Turning Swords into Plowshares - by ReverendRV

Isaiah 2:4
; He shall judge between the nations, And rebuke many people; They shall beat their swords into plowshares, And their spears into pruning hooks; Nation shall not lift up sword against nation, Neither shall they learn war anymore.

Jesus said to his disciples ‘Blessed are the meek, For they shall inherit the earth, and Blessed are the peacemakers, For they shall be called sons of God.’ Spiritually speaking, no one begins in life as a peacemaker, but instead we begin as enemies of God. The Bible says that stealing, lying, and cursing with Gods name are all Sin; and they are only the tip of the Iceberg. Jesus also said ‘He who is not with Me is against Me, and he who does not gather with Me scatters abroad’, so there is no neutrality. When one decides to repent and follow Jesus they are no longer enemies of God. Even former enemies know the way of weapons but when they no longer have need for them, they can find better ways to put a weapon to use…

Jesus said ‘Go into all the world and preach the Gospel to every creature.’ There are times when Christians obey this, but it seems like they can’t get through to some people. Jesus compares the heart of these people to hard, trodden ground; ‘When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in his heart. This is the seed sown along the path.’ This is when the ground of your heart needs to be tilled…

The Prophet Ezekiel describes it like this; ‘I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh.’ God makes the ground of your heart good and then compares it to tilled soil. God uses the Law of God to penetrate your heart, Paul describes it like this; ‘For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.’ A follower of Christ will lay down their carnal swords and pick up the ‘Sword which is the word of God’ and use it as a plowshare to break ground in your heart…

This is what the Apostle Peter did at the first Christian Pentecost. By the power of Gods Holy Spirit, Peter rose and preached to the crowds. Everyone present there knew of how God had been working the last few years in the land of Israel, and there surely were large crowds assembled to see if it would continue. There were people there who would have seen the miracles of Christ; giving sight to the blind, feeding the thousands and raising the dead. There would have been people there who saw the darkness the day Christ was crucified, and when they heard Peter quote the prophecy of Joel they would have known that the darkness was predicted long ago. There would have been people there who told Pontius Pilate to crucify Jesus, and when Peter proclaimed this, ‘They were cut to the heart’. Peter turned the sword that he used to cut off a guard's ear into a plowshare, and turned the spear which pierced Christ's heart into a pruning hook; reaping a harvest that day of three thousand people!

You have reason to worry today my friend if you have not turned to Jesus as your Savior. Moses said this, ‘But when Pharaoh saw that there was relief, he hardened his heart and did not heed them, as the LORD had said.’ You are the one who trods down the path which is your heart, making it ever harder! If you turn to Jesus as your Lord and risen Savior through Faith, he will give you a new heart and Eternal life will then be able to grow in the furrow which is cut into your heart…

John 5:24; "I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life.

@Carbon @Predestined not @TomL
C/P and in my Files I will enjoy it tomorrow morning with my coffee.

You probably don't know it, but Gospel Tracts are my Ministry. I used to title them "Questions about the Bible", but now that will be the name of my year long Daily Devotional. I have that many; well after I write two more. That's why it seems like I have a Gospel Tract ready at the drop of a hat...
I kinda had a hunch that was the case. Except I Envisioned a somewhat older dude in an RV with all sorts of Jesus pictures and sayings and Scriptures written on the sides driving all around handing out tracts. But I actually think that it's really cool that that's your ministry your wordsmith for Jesus. I've enjoyed every one that you posted in my short time here. Keep up the good work. I've been doing Christian websites since the '90s and I enjoy working with God's word also.

I kinda had a hunch that was the case. Except I Envisioned a somewhat older dude in an RV with all sorts of Jesus pictures and sayings and Scriptures written on the sides driving all around handing out tracts. But I actually think that it's really cool that that's your ministry your wordsmith for Jesus. I've enjoyed every one that you posted in my short time here. Keep up the good work. I've been doing Christian websites since the '90s and I enjoy working with God's word also.
You're a Prophet, because that's what I want to do...

You're a Prophet, because that's what I want to do...
I think if God put that in your heart you will. Yesterday I watched a YouTube video with John MacArthur and RC and John was talking about not making the gospel complicated by adding a bunch of modern type things to it like external things. He said to just stick with the gospel because that's all you need. Just pass out your tracks and preach the gospel. John talked about the soil to seed and God giving the increase. Oh look forward my history see if I can post the link. It was really good.

I think if God put that in your heart you will. Yesterday I watched a YouTube video with John MacArthur and RC and John was talking about not making the gospel complicated by adding a bunch of modern type things to it like external things. He said to just stick with the gospel because that's all you need. Just pass out your tracks and preach the gospel. John talked about the soil to seed and God giving the increase. Oh look forward my history see if I can post the link. It was really good.
Mine have three paragraphs; one about a question or topic, one about the Ten Commandments and Guilt, and one about the Gospel. So that's keeping it short a sweet. That last Gospel Tract was an early one with more paragraphs; needing to be edited to my current style...

Last edited:
Okay I promise I'll never call anyone here good teacher again.
Just Jesus.
But seriously folks I read your complete post and I have some questions.
When Jesus told the guy to go and sell all that he had and give it to the poor, then he would have treasure in heaven. So my question is did the act of selling his stuff And giving the profit from it to the poor earn him treasure in heaven?
Where does scripture say he sold anything for this purpose?
Or was it because he did what Jesus told him to do?
He wandered off didn’t he?
"So Jesus gave him the ultimate test, would he obey His Lordship? "

So in your explanation Jesus knew nothing he said to this guy was going to change his destiny. But do what you think about people that were listening to what Jesus was telling to guy. Do you think they may have figured out who was talking?
I think when the Holy Spirit came, He brought many things Jesus did back to memory.
And many probably understood what Jesus meant.
First one has to be taught of God, John 6:45 It is written in the Prophets, And they will all be taught by God.’ Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to me

Many will learn there natural self righteous faith don’t work. The rich man’s treasure wasn’t with God, it was in his personal possessions. He had faith he could buy his way into heaven. But found out it don’t work that way.

I think many figured out who was talking after the resurrection
Do you think they may have followed him and started to obey him as Lord?
Many did to fill their stomachs, and many left
The Bible says his word doesn't go out and come back avoid that it accomplishes his purpose.
His word always accomplishes what it is sent to do.
The one guy may have left all dejected because he didn't want to sell his loot. But 10 people may have become believers.
They may have become believers but probably after Pentecost.
It's all about Jesus...
Amen!

Just my two cents

Just Jesus.

Where does scripture say he sold anything for this purpose?

He wandered off didn’t he?

I think when the Holy Spirit came, He brought many things Jesus did back to memory.
And many probably understood what Jesus meant.
First one has to be taught of God, John 6:45 It is written in the Prophets, And they will all be taught by God.’ Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to me

Many will learn there natural self righteous faith don’t work. The rich man’s treasure wasn’t with God, it was in his personal possessions. He had faith he could buy his way into heaven. But found out it don’t work that way.

I think many figured out who was talking after the resurrection

Many did to fill their stomachs, and many left

His word always accomplishes what it is sent to do.

They may have become believers but probably after Pentecost.

Amen!

Just my two cents
Sorry, missed that first one up. What I meant would the act of selling stuff and giving the proceeds to the poor... Would that give him treasures in heaven. Survey says: No. But the act of obedience and doing Jesus told him to do and then following Him would.

I hear what you're saying about many figuring out who he was after the resurrection. But I also believe some may have known sooner. There may have been people in the wilderness when John was baptizing and Jesus came to get baptized. A lot happened right there that could turn you into a believer.
29 The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! John 1:29
“I saw the Spirit descend from heaven like a dove, and it remained on him. 33 I myself did not know him, but he who sent me to baptize with water said to me, ‘He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain, this is he who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.’ 34 And I have seen and have borne witness that this is the Son of God.” John1:32

17And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.” Matthew 3:17

Then all the things that Jesus did in his Three-year ministry... Healing the sick raising the dead walking on water, all of those things could make you believe he was the promised Messiah.

I like your two cents and I'll raise you a quarter.

Psalm 22
My God, my God, why have You forsaken me?
Far from my deliverance are the words of my [c]groaning.
2 O my God, I cry by day, but You do not answer;
And by night, but I have no rest.
3 Yet You are holy,
O You who are enthroned upon the praises of Israel.
4 In You our fathers trusted;
They trusted and You delivered them.
5 To You they cried out and were delivered;
In You they trusted and were not disappointed.
6 But I am a worm and not a man,
A reproach of men and despised by the people.
7 All who see me [g]sneer at me;
They separate with the lip, they wag the head, saying,
8 “Commit yourself to the LORD; let Him deliver him;
Let Him rescue him, because He delights in him.”
9 Yet You are He who brought me forth from the womb;
You made me trust when upon my mother’s breasts.
10 Upon You I was cast from birth;
You have been my God from my mother’s womb.
11 Be not far from me, for trouble is near;
For there is none to help.
12 Many bulls have surrounded me;
Strong bulls of Bashan have encircled me.
13 They open wide their mouth at me,
As a ravening and a roaring lion.
14 I am poured out like water,
And all my bones are out of joint;
My heart is like wax;
It is melted within [l]me.
15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd,
And my tongue cleaves to my jaws;
And You lay me [m]in the dust of death.
16 For dogs have surrounded me;
A band of evildoers has encompassed me;
They pierced my hands and my feet.
17 I can count all my bones.
They look, they stare at me;
18 They divide my garments among them,
And for my clothing they cast lots.
19 But You, O LORD, be not far off;
O You my help, hasten to my assistance.
20 Deliver my soul from the sword,
My only life from the power of the dog.
21 Save me from the lion’s mouth;
From the horns of the wild oxen You answer me.
22 I will tell of Your name to my brethren;
In the midst of the assembly I will praise You.
23 You who fear the LORD, praise Him;
All you descendants of Jacob, glorify Him,
And stand in awe of Him, all you of Israel.
24 For He has not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted;
Nor has He hidden His face from him;
But when he cried to Him for help, He heard.
25 From You comes my praise in the great assembly;
I shall pay my vows before those who fear Him.
26 The afflicted will eat and be satisfied;
Those who seek Him will praise the LORD.
Let your heart live forever!
27 All the ends of the earth will remember and turn to the LORD,
And all the families of the nations will worship before You.
28 For the kingdom is the LORD’S
And He rules over the nations.
29 All the prosperous of the earth will eat and worship,
All those who go down to the dust will bow before Him,
Even he who cannot keep his soul alive.
30 Posterity will serve Him;
It will be told of the Lord to the coming generation.
31 They will come and will declare His righteousness
To a people who will be born, that He has performed it.

12 facts about God and Jesus last words. Some people teach when Jesus said My God My God why have Thou forsaken Me that the Father departed, deserted and turned His back upon His Son to bear Gods wrath on the cross. But is this teaching biblical? Is it true?

1-God is Triune
2- The Trinity cannot be broken, separated or abandoned.
3- God doesn't send His wrath against God
4- Jesus is God
5- Context has meaning and all the gospel accounts work together along with the OT quotations
6- Jesus words come from Psalm 22
7- Psalm 22 must be understood in the context of the crucifixion
8- Jesus last words were this " Father into Thy hands I commit my Spirit "
9- Psalm 22 has numerous fulfillment's during His Crucifixion
10- Psalms 22 and the gospels say He was mocked, despised, hurled insults, cast lots, divided His clothes, let God rescue Him etc......
11- Psalm 22:24 also says God has not despised Him nor hidden His face from Him and listened to His cry for help
12- Psalm 22:24 coincides with Jesus trust and relationship with the Father saying into your hands I commit MY Spirit.

God is LOVE. In Love the Father sent the Son on our behalf to be the perfect sacrifice for sin. We Love because He first loved us and sent His Son as 1 John tells us.

We must understand how Gods attributes all work in harmony together not in opposition to each other. All of Gods attributes and His character flow from His Love for God is Love.

God being Love has nothing to do with His creation. That is secondary. God is Love and that Love is perfect lacking nothing within His Triune nature as God. Love by definition has to be expressed with another which is why a unitarian god cannot be Love. Love requires another to share and express that Love and it’s what we see with the Triune God. God is Love before anyone/anything existed.

Before creation there was no sin hence no judgment, wrath, mercy, grace, justice etc................. Why because those are Gods secondary attributes. God’s Love is a primary attribute like Holy is a primary one. Everything about God flows from His being Love which includes His secondary attributes.

All doctrine begins with God at its starting point.

We can see the entire Psalm 22 which is Messianic was being played out before their very eyes and Jesus quotes the opening verse letting His persecutors know that He truly is the Son of God, the Messiah by quoting Psalm 22 being lived out before them. It’s a proclamation and a declaration that He is the Messiah, Gods One and Only Son who gave His life as a ransom for many. What the Father did allow to happen and not rescue His Son from was His death and suffering from those wicked leaders to be our sacrifice for sin. The entire weight of that was upon Him to bear alone but the Father never left Him. He was there hearing His prayers and answering them upon His death. And let’s not forget Jesus promise to the sinner- TODAY you will be with ME in PARADISE. For God so loved the world that He gave His Only Begotten Son that whosoever believes in Him will not perish but have everlasting life. You see The Trinity was never fractured, broken or severed for even a moment but together the Godhead accomplished salvation for sinners. It was a Triune effort that worked out to perfection as They had planned from the very beginning.

God did not turn His back on adam when he sinned but sought him out, He didn’t turn His back on David when he sinned. God does not turn His back on us when we sin as He is there with open arms to forgive. Jesus didn’t turn His back on Saul when he was persecuting the church and in fact sought him out on the Damascus road and said to him” why are you persecuting Me ? You see if God did not turn His back on sinners then neither did the Father turn His back on His only Son who is Holy, Blameless, Sinless, and Righteous just like His Father. It’s nothing but a modern day myth that teaches that the Father turned His back on the Son at the cross.

God is not against Himself angrily displaying wrath from the Father to the Son. God is love. In love He sent His Son. The wrath bearing Son is a new concept not found in Scripture nor the ECF's. God is not against Himself. There is no one in the Trinity who is in opposition, no conflict, no dissention, no strife, do dysfunction etc…….as if God were somehow like a sinful human family. There is nothing broken in Our Blessed Trinity.

Jesus bearing Gods wrath and being despised and forsaken by the Father and Him turning His back on the Son is nothing but an urban legend.

The following scriptures affirm Jesus relationship with the Father on the cross was still there and not broken.

Psalm 22:24
For he has not despised or scorned
the suffering of the afflicted one;
he has not hidden his face from him
but has listened to his cry for help.

Luke 23:46
Jesus called out with a loud voice, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit." When he had said this, he breathed his last.

John 16:32
“A time is coming and in fact has come when you will be scattered, each to your own home. You will leave me all alone. Yet I am not alone, for my Father is with me.

And add to that Jesus promise to the thief on the cross that today you will be with Me in Paradise reaffirms Jesus went to be with the Father and not suffer in hell as some teach.

hope this helps !!!
My first question is, if Jesus wasn't forsaken by God, why did Jesus say he he had been forsaken?

Doug

Sorry, missed that first one up. What I meant would the act of selling stuff and giving the proceeds to the poor... Would that give him treasures in heaven. Survey says: No. But the act of obedience and doing Jesus told him to do and then following Him would.

I hear what you're saying about many figuring out who he was after the resurrection. But I also believe some may have known sooner. There may have been people in the wilderness when John was baptizing and Jesus came to get baptized. A lot happened right there that could turn you into a believer.
29 The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! John 1:29
“I saw the Spirit descend from heaven like a dove, and it remained on him. 33 I myself did not know him, but he who sent me to baptize with water said to me, ‘He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain, this is he who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.’ 34 And I have seen and have borne witness that this is the Son of God.” John1:32

17And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.” Matthew 3:17

Then all the things that Jesus did in his Three-year ministry... Healing the sick raising the dead walking on water, all of those things could make you believe he was the promised Messiah.

I like your two cents and I'll raise you a quarter.
You may be right there could have been some believers sooner. OT people are proof of that.

Thanks for pointing that out.

My first question is, if Jesus wasn't forsaken by God, why did Jesus say he he had been forsaken?

Doug
Good question. That's what we've been trying to figure out. But enough questions we would like you to thoroughly explain this. Feel free to use versus from both the Old Testament and the New. Plus all the biblical knowledge you've acquired over the years that will shed some light on this topic.

Doug
Great question Doug.

He gave me a answer to that question, personally I don’t agree with it. But I’ll let him answer you, this way I may have another look from a different angle?

Good question. That's what we've been trying to figure out. But enough questions we would like you to thoroughly explain this. Feel free to use versus from both the Old Testament and the New. Plus all the biblical knowledge you've acquired over the years that will shed some light on this topic.
Civic explained it...

If you haven't met Tibiasdad/Doug yet, you will probably like him...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back