Did Jesus bear Gods wrath and was He forsaken ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you choose to partake in debate as a Moderator with regular members here?

I am a regular member who happens to be a moderator. Get over it.
You should also place yourself in a position when you do for the Ignore feature as an option for those who do not wish to dialogue with you for debate.

No one is forcing you to dialogue with me.
Your moderating function should remain immune to Ignore.

You don't get to decide how the boards are run.
As it stands right now? You are not being fair.

Yes I am.
When you debate you should not have yourself in such a position of immunity. Because you keep ignoring passages that show you that you need to better understand?

The one ignoring passages is YOU. Passages showing that the sins of unbelievers are not only NOT forgiven, but named.
And, act like they are meaningless,

Yes, you do.
as a means to keep making your point which has been refuted. In turn, I would like to do likewise as you do the passages, and put you on Ignore.

I don't care what you do. No one forced you to get into a dialogue with me.
If you want to debate? It should not be done in the power of being a moderator. You should make yourself an equal. Otherwise, moderate and do not debate when you choose to be unfair to reason. Its become gaslighting to me, not debating... Anyone else I would have put on Ignore by now.

Are you finished whining?

"Cowardly" speaks of people who live in their own fantasy world.
We see that today with the "woke" crowd. Those that detest and fear reality.

Notes from my pastor's teaching who was a Greek scholar is as follows

"With reference to the cowardly/ 'those who have lost touch with reality' . . .
(deilos - does have a meaning of cowardly, but also has a meaning
of losing touch with reality - and is not referring to physical courage here)...
1169 deilós (an adjective derived from deidō, "fear-driven") – properly, dreadful, describing a person who loses their "moral gumption (fortitude)" that is needed to follow the Lord.

1169 /deilós ("fearful of losses") refers to an excessive fear (dread) of "losing," causing someone to be fainthearted (cowardly) – hence, to fall short in following Christ as Lord.

8 But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.”

If their sins are paid for, why are they still murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters and liars?

Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality,3 10 nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

Why are their sins named if they are forgiven?

THEY AREN'T.

You fail by equating unforgiveness for being the penalty of sin that Jesus bore.

You might have done something unforgivable to your mother. Yet, she remains being your mother.

In God's case? The penalty for being a sinner would be to forsake mankind for being sinners. Mankind would not have been allowed to exist because we would be born all sinners by nature.

Jesus bore that penalty so that mankind may be allowed to exist. All the Divine penalty for being sinners was paid for. Man will be allowed to exist and interact with God.

Mankind was not forsaken by the Holy and Righteous God. That is the penalty Jesus bore when he was forsaken on the Cross. Forsaken and all mankind would have never been allowed to exist. Therefore? "Having nothing to forgive." They are not one and the same things!

Those people's sins that you cited have those sins manifested because they failed to enter into propitiation and reconciliation. Failed because they REFUSED to accept God's offer. That is called the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit who draws all men to God for reconciliation.

"Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people,
but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven."
Mat 12:31

Every sin but one will be ultimately forgiven...... The Cross guaranteed that status for man.

The only unpardonable sin will be the rejection of Jesus Christ. Because? On the Cross he could not reject Himself.

Now? Are you going to ignore anything was said? And continue with your mantra like you have been doing?

Our sins have a temporal effect in relation to God because our bodies are temporal. There is only one sin that has an everlasting effect and can not be forgiven. The rejection of Jesus Christ. He is the real issue in salvation. Not our meaningless sins that will cease.

Last edited:
I am a regular member who happens to be a moderator. Get over it.
Show me how to put you on Ignore then. You are a now a "regular member" with special privileges?

You are abusing power by denying the authority to place you on ignore like everyone else here who debates has.

No accountability for you. Can you be banned? Warned? No. Ignored? NO! Can you bother others? YES!

You should stay out of debates then as long as you are a moderator who can not be ignored in a debate.
You are chasing people away from here. I have word on that.

Placing you on Ignore would make it bearable for some, and would allow them the peace of mind to stay.

They have "Do Not Disturb" signs for hotel rooms if guests so desires rest. You barge in when ever you want to.

Become Clark Kent when you debate. Be Superman when you moderate. Follow the same rules of engagement in debates.

Yes... I would have put you on Ignore by now. You just do not listen and only want your point to stand.

You would have to listen more carefully if you were like everyone else, unless you wanted to be Ignored.

Last edited:
You fail by equating unforgiveness for being the penalty of sin that Jesus bore.

No, I didn't.
You might have done something unforgivable to your mother. Yet, she remains being your mother.

Which has nothing to do with what I said.
In God's case? The penalty for being a sinner would be to forsake mankind for being sinners. Mankind would not have been allowed to exist because we would be born all sinners by nature.

We are born sinners by nature.
Jesus bore that penalty so that mankind may be allowed to exist.

Is that what Scripture teaches?
All the Divine penalty for being sinners was paid for. Man will be allowed to exist and interact with God.

Man was allowed to exist before God took on flesh.
The only unpardonable sin will be the rejection of Jesus Christ.

The unpardonable sin is attributing the miracles of Christ to Satan.
Now? Are you going to ignore anything was said? And continue with your mantra like you have been doing?

I'm going to ignore your nonsense and stick to what Scripture actually teaches.

Show me how to put you on Ignore then. You are a now a "regular member" with special privileges?

I've always been a 'regular member' who happens to be a moderator. We have many mods that post on the boards. You just don't know who they are.
You are abusing power by denying the authority to place you on ignore like everyone else here who debates has.

1. You don't get to run these boards.
2. By default, you can't put any admin on ignore, nor can I put any poster on ignore.
3. No one is making you respond to anything I post.
4. Don't like the rules here? Go start your own boards and run them as you please.
No accountability for you. Can you be banned? Warned? No. Ignored? NO! Can you bother others? YES!

None of the above is any of your business, and if you are bothered by someone, you should have the self control to ignore them. That you don't says more about you than it does about anyone posting on CARM.
You should stay out of debates then as long as you are a moderator who can not be ignored in a debate.

You don't get to tell anyone who should or should stay out of debates. You think you can tell this to Matt and get away with it? You think you can tell someone how to run their own boards? I suggest you re read the rules of CARM. It's a violation to argue with or question mods on the boards. You have been duly warned.
You are chasing people away from here. I have word on that.

No, I'm not. People are free to come and go and free to respond or not respond to anyone.
Placing you on Ignore would make it bearable for some, and would allow them the peace of mind to stay.

If you don't have the self control to ignore a post you don't like or scroll past someone you don't wish to engage with, that is YOUR problem.
They have "Do Not Disturb" signs for hotel rooms if guests so desires rest. You barge in when ever you want to.

You aren't in a hotel room you're paying for. You are posting here FREELY. You don't get to stay somewhere free and demand to get your way.
Become Clark Kent when you debate. Be Superman when you moderate. Follow the same rules of engagement in debates.

I follow the same rules you do.
Yes... I would have put you on Ignore by now.

So what.
You just do not listen and only want your point to stand.

I feel the same way about you. I'm sure many other posters feel the same way about you. You don't get to demand your way because you don't like what or how someone posts.

You would have to listen more carefully if you were like everyone else, unless you wanted to be Ignored.

I couldn't care less who ignores me. Apparently you don't have the self control to ignore someone you claim is bothering you. I didn't ask you to respond to me, you chose to. That's on you. Have a wonderful day!

No, I didn't.
GeneZ said:
You said - We are born sinners by nature.
(you agreed with me!)

GeneZ said:
Jesus bore that penalty so that mankind may be allowed to exist.
You said - Is that what Scripture teaches?

Yes! For, Jesus was "forsaken" on the Cross by God, so that we would not have to be forsaken! If we bore the penalty for being sinners we would have been forsaken by God and mankind would have ceased to exist! God held off judgment and saved it for the Cross to have Jesus bear our penalty. That is why we men are alive and free to accept or reject the Lord, just like angels were free in the beginning.

Look at that exchange we had.... The answer to your question is to be found in what you stated as a matter of fact.
You already have the answer. Forsaken. Jesus bore that penalty.

And, then I need to continue to argue with you to make the point that had been made?? And, argue some more in further denial on your part?
Its a cycle that is running on cosmic power. I want no part of it.

You need someone to sit you down and make you sit still for a second. Still, to see how you are reasoning, and show how you miss your own points.

I need to put you on Ignore... Or, if you see no more response from me? Consider it done.
In the mean while.... you can use that as a trap. So, I will reserve my right to respond when I see fit because of the present state of things.

Last edited:
You said - We are born sinners by nature.
(you agreed with me!)

I've never stated otherwise.
You said - Is that what Scripture teaches?

Where in Scripture does it say Jesus bore our sins so that mankind "may be allowed exist"? Are you speaking of physically or spiritually exist?
Look at that exchange we had.... The answer to your question is to be found in what you stated as a matter of fact.
You already have the answer. Forsaken. Jesus bore that penalty.

Never said Jesus didn't bear the penalty we deserved.
And, then I need to continue to argue with you to make the point that had been made?? And, argue some more in further denial on your part?
Its a cycle that is running on cosmic power. I want no part of it.

Nope....the argument was that you said all sins were forgiven. I showed you that the sins of unbelievers are NOT forgiven and they die in their sins.
You need someone to sit you down and make you sit still for a second.

Projection much?
Still, to see how you are reasoning, and show how you miss your own points.

Nope. I didn't miss anything.
I need to put you on Ignore...

I'm sure I won't lose any sleep over it.
Or, if you see no more response from me? Consider it done.

Lol! Yea, I'm sure I'll miss your responses....not.

I've never stated otherwise.

Where in Scripture does it say Jesus bore our sins so that mankind "may be allowed exist"? Are you speaking of physically or spiritually exist?

Never said Jesus didn't bear the penalty we deserved.

Nope....the argument was that you said all sins were forgiven. I showed you that the sins of unbelievers are NOT forgiven and they die in their sins.

Projection much?

Nope. I didn't miss anything.

I'm sure I won't lose any sleep over it.

Lol! Yea, I'm sure I'll miss your responses....not.
Your sins are forgiven... No matter how much you may still sin.

PSA is a test for prostate cancer. I have no idea what you are getting at. Could you please say what it means? ;)
Penal Substitutionary Atonement

Penal substitutionary atonement​

Penal substitutionary atonement refers to the doctrine that Christ died on the cross as a substitute for sinners. God imputed the guilt of our sins to Christ, and he, in our place, bore the punishment that we deserve. This was a full payment for sins, which satisfied both the wrath and the righteousness of God, so that He could forgive sinners without compromising His own holy standard.

Background

The Penal-Substitution Theory of the atonement was formulated by the 16th century Reformers as an extension of Anselm's Satisfaction theory. Anselm's theory was correct in introducing the satisfaction aspect of Christ's work and its necessity; however the Reformers saw it as insufficient because it was referenced to God's honor rather than his justice and holiness and was couched more in terms of a commercial transaction than a penal substitution. This Reformed view says simply that Christ died for man, in man's place, taking his sins and bearing them for him. The bearing of man's sins takes the punishment for them and sets the believer free from the penal demands of the law: The righteousness of the law and the holiness of God are satisfied by this substitution.

Relevant Scripture

• Isaiah 53:6 - "the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all."
  • Isaiah 53:12 - "yet he bore the sin of many, and makes intercession for the transgressors."
  • Romans 3:25
  • 2 Corinthians 5:21 - "For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God."
  • Galatians 3:13 - "Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us -- for it is written, Cursed is everyone who is hanged on a tree."
  • Hebrews 10:1-4
The penal aspect of the atonement is often a stumbling block to modern theology, yet some would say "it is the dominant Atonement imagery used in the Bible." [1] By way of contrast, those who hold to a Governmental theory of atonement not only deny the penal aspect of the atonement but also substitution in the normal sense of the word. To such people, Christ died not as a substitute for sinners but as a substitute for punishment.

Propitiation language

"The language of propitiation specifically implies God's hatred of sin and emphasizes the gracious work of Christ as sin-bearer (Rom. 3:25). The Bible further includes the forensic, legal language of justification (Rom. 3:20-26, 4:25, 5:16-18). These images make clear the reality of our guilt and the required penalty." Dever

See main article on Propitiation.

Relation to other doctrines

The principle of penal substitution is held, by many of its proponents, to be the control through which all other views of the accomplishments of Christ on the cross are to be seen and the mechanic by which all other accomplishments work. Some examples of this are given below.

Penal Substitutionary Atonement

Penal substitutionary atonement​

Penal substitutionary atonement refers to the doctrine that Christ died on the cross as a substitute for sinners. God imputed the guilt of our sins to Christ, and he, in our place, bore the punishment that we deserve. This was a full payment for sins, which satisfied both the wrath and the righteousness of God, so that He could forgive sinners without compromising His own holy standard.
That is what the point has been!

"He Himself is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only
for ours but also for the sins of the whole world." 1 John 2:2​

No one is going to hell for their sins. They go there for their rejection of Jesus Christ.

Jesus took care of the issue of our sins on the Cross, so that our salvation will not be an matter of how moral we can be, but about what we think of God's Son. The Cross puts our focus on the Lord of Life, not the death of our sins.

Some will die in their sins because they will not receive a glorified resurrection body. In that fallen body they will appear before the Lord they had on earth.... To die one more time when thrown into the lake of fire. That is why its called "the second death."

Those raised in their old bodies will stand before the Lord to be once again physically alive! But, not with an everlasting resurrection body that can not perish!

“Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will
hear his voice and come out—those who have done what is good will rise to live, and
those who have done what is evil will rise to be condemned."
John 5:28-29

The second death will not take place because of unforgiven sins of man. For all sins because of the Cross, will be forgiven. All sins forgiven but one.

“Truly I say to you, all sins shall be forgiven the sons of men,
and whatever blasphemies they utter; but whoever blasphemes
against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of
an eternal sin”
Mark 3:28-29​

That one sin that can not be forgiven is the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. That is because its the Holy Spirit who leads all men to Christ! The rejection of Christ takes place because of a soul blaspheming of the Holy Spirit while being drawn.

No other sin will be left unforgiven.

grace and peace ..........

Last edited:
[That is what the point has been!

for ours but also for the sins of the whole world." 1 John 2:2]

T
the sins of...is not in the text. The text speaks of those worldwide who will have their sins propitiated

[No one is going to hell for their sins.]

Jesus taught differently;Jn8
24 I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

[They go there for their rejection of Jesus Christ.]

Any uncovered sin will place men in the second death, Jesus said sins, plural, each sin

[Jesus took care of the issue of sins at the cross]

Jesus died a covenant death at the cross, for All the Father gave to Him.

{so that our salvation will not be an matter of how moral we can be, but about what we think of God's Son. The Cross puts our focus on the Lord of Life, not the death of our sins.]

Wrong, all men in hell will be there being punished for their sins, plural, some are beaten with many stripes.many will have never heard of Jesus

[Some will die in their sins because they will not receive a glorified resurrection body. In that fallen body they will appear before the Lord they had on earth.... To die one more time when thrown into the lake of fire. That is why its called "the second death."]

This is a novelty

[Those raised in their old bodies will stand before the Lord to be once again physically alive! But, not with an everlasting resurrection body that can not perish!

“Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will
hear his voice and come out—those who have done what is good will rise to live, and

The second death will not take place because of unforgiven sins of man. For all sins because of the Cross, will be forgiven. All sins forgiven but one.

an eternal sin”

Mark 3:28-29]
You lack any understanding of these verses

[That one sin that can not be forgiven is the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. That is because its the Holy Spirit who leads all men to Christ! The rejection of Christ takes place because of a soul blaspheming of the Holy Spirit while being drawn.

No other sin will be left unforgiven.]

Sorry, that is not the teaching of the bible, anywhere.

T
the sins of...is not in the text. The text speaks of those worldwide who will have their sins propitiated

24 I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

Any uncovered sin will place men in the second death, Jesus said sins, plural, each sin

{so that our salvation will not be an matter of how moral we can be, but about what we think of God's Son. The Cross puts our focus on the Lord of Life, not the death of our sins.]

Wrong, all men in hell will be there being punished for their sins, plural, some are beaten with many stripes.many will have never heard of Jesus

[Some will die in their sins because they will not receive a glorified resurrection body. In that fallen body they will appear before the Lord they had on earth.... To die one more time when thrown into the lake of fire. That is why its called "the second death."]

This is a novelty

[Those raised in their old bodies will stand before the Lord to be once again physically alive! But, not with an everlasting resurrection body that can not perish!

an eternal sin”

[That one sin that can not be forgiven is the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. That is because its the Holy Spirit who leads all men to Christ! The rejection of Christ takes place because of a soul blaspheming of the Holy Spirit while being drawn.

So is Jesus going to cite sins when He sets up the unbeliever to be thrown in the Lake of Fire? Will say, "because you fornicated with this person I am sending you to the Lake of Fire? "

T

This is a novelty

an eternal sin”

May I ask what denomination you learned your ways from? I would like to know, for not all of us have been grounded in the same background.

T

Stay right there, please, and explain for whom Jesus was the propitiation for their sins.

Don't jump all over the place. Stay right there, please. And, clarify the limits to what you claim.

Its easy to do what you do... as long as you do not have to explain yourself and validate

Just trying to stir up more posts is all you seem to be doing.

Stay right there, please, and explain for whom Jesus was the propitiation for their sins.

Don't jump all over the place. Stay right there, please. And, clarify the limits to what you claim.

Its easy to do what you do... as long as you do not have to explain yourself and validate

Just trying to stir up more posts is all you seem to be doing.
Hello GeneZ,

Thanks for your response and fine questions.
First I will stay right here and deal with this text as you asked.

2 and he -- he is a propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only, but also for the whole world,

This is the verse as it is. from preceptaustin....

The propitiation (NAS marginal note = "Satisfaction") (2434) (hilasmos akin to hileōs = merciful, propitious) in the NT (only here and 1Jn 4:10) refers to a sacrifice that turns away the wrath of God and thereby makes God propitious (favorably inclined or disposed, disposed to be gracious and/or merciful, ready to forgive) toward us.

Keep in mind as you read this note on hilasmos that it is very difficult to discern the differences between propitiation (satisfaction) and expiation in a number of scholarly resources consulted. Kenneth Wuest's paraphrase seems to try to cover both camps so to speak rendering it "He himself is an expiatory satisfaction for our sins."(Wuest)

QUESTION - What is propitiation?

ANSWER
- The word propitiation carries the basic idea of appeasement or satisfaction, specifically toward God. Propitiation is a two-part act that involves appeasing the wrath of an offended person and being reconciled to him.

The necessity of appeasing God is something many religions have in common. In ancient pagan religions, as well as in many religions today, the idea is taught that man appeases God by offering various gifts or sacrifices. However, the Bible teaches that God Himself has provided the only means through which His wrath can be appeased and sinful man can be reconciled to Him. In the New Testament, the act of propitiation always refers to the work of God and not the sacrifices or gifts offered by man. The reason for this is that man is totally incapable of satisfying God’s justice except by spending eternity in hell. There is no service, sacrifice, or gift that man can offer that will appease the holy wrath of God or satisfy His perfect justice. The only satisfaction, or propitiation, that could be acceptable to God and that could reconcile man to Him had to be made by God. For this reason God the Son, Jesus Christ, came into the world in human flesh to be the perfect sacrifice for sin and make atonement or “propitiation for the sins of the people” (Hebrews 2:17).

The word propitiation is used in several verses to explain what Jesus accomplished through His death on the cross. For example, in Romans 3:24-25 believers in Christ have been “justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood, through faith, to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance God had passed over the sins that were previously committed.” These verses are a key point in Paul’s argument in the book of Romans and are really at the heart of the gospel message.

In the first three chapters of Romans, Paul makes the argument that everyone, Jew and Gentile alike, is under the condemnation of God and deserving of His wrath (Romans 1:18). Everyone has sinned and fallen short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23). All of us deserve His wrath and punishment. God in His infinite grace and mercy has provided a way that His wrath can be appeased and we can be reconciled to Him. That way is through the sacrificial death of His Son, Jesus Christ, as the payment for sins. It is through faith in Jesus Christ as God’s perfect sacrifice that we can be reconciled to God. It is only because of Christ’s death on the cross and His resurrection on the third day that a lost sinner deserving of hell can be reconciled to a holy God. The wonderful truth of the gospel is that Christians are saved from God’s wrath and reconciled to God not because “we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins” (1 John 4:10).

Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me” (John 14:6). The only way for God’s wrath against sinful man to be appeased and for us to be reconciled to God is through Jesus Christ. There is no other way. This truth is also communicated in 1 John 2:2, “And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world.” An important part of Christ’s saving work is deliverance from God’s wrath; Jesus’ propitiation on the cross is the only thing that can turn away God’s divine condemnation of sin. Those who reject Christ as their Savior and refuse to believe in Him have no hope of salvation. They can only look forward to facing the wrath of God that they have stored up for the coming day of judgment (Romans 2:5). There is no other propitiation or sacrifice that can be made for their sins.GotQuestions.org

ESV Study Bible says Hilasmos "here means 'a sacrifice that bears God's wrath and turns it to favor" which is "also the meaning of the English word propitiation."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back